High (healthy) Fat, Low Carb Food Ideas

Options
Vain_Witch
Vain_Witch Posts: 476 Member
I'm looking for ideas for foods to add to my diet. I'm doing fine on protein and carbs, but I have a problem hitting my fat macro sometimes...and when I do find things that will up my fats, it ups my carbs past where I want them, too.

Can anyone give me any ideas of foods (snack or meal) that are higher in healthy fats and lower in carbs? Thanks!

Replies

• sylo1609
    sylo1609 Posts: 36
    Options
    Meat, nuts, cheese, avocado, ... not that hard really :)
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    Deli meat makes a nice alternative if you arent worried about salt.
  • Vain_Witch
    Vain_Witch Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    I do watch my sodium intake very carefully. I've never had avocado...I just can't seem to bring myself to try it. lol
  • sylo1609
    sylo1609 Posts: 36
    Options
    I've never had avocado...I just can't seem to bring myself to try it. lol
    Me neither, I'm not exactly attracted by a vegetable (?) with so many calories, even though they are healthy fats! :D
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

Or the increased risk of cancer.
  • bcattoes
    Options
    The easiest option seems extra virgin olive oil or other healthy oil of your choice. Cook with it, use it to make salad or sandwich dressings.
  • RivenV
    RivenV Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options

Ex-squeeze me, baking powder?
  • djshari
    djshari Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    I do watch my sodium intake very carefully. I've never had avocado...I just can't seem to bring myself to try it. lol
    oh you should!!! It is now one of my favorite foods. I didn't know what it was for most of my life but now I can easily eat several in a week. Last week I had half on my wrap at lunch and half on my salad at dinner.

I am also trying to do low carb and looking to add in nuts to increase my totals.
  • KatLifter
    KatLifter Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    Take a protein of your choice like chicken or shrimp. Batter it with egg/Parmesan cheese. Cook in 1 Tbs. Coconut oil. Delicious fried chicken/shrimp.
  • bcattoes
    Options

Just check with any cancer research organization. Eating any amount of processed meat raises your risk of colon cancer. Any amount. The more you eat, the greater the increase. That would not = "nice alternative" IMO
  • KatLifter
    KatLifter Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options

Just check with any cancer research organization. Eating any amount of processed meat raises your risk of colon cancer. Any amount. The more you eat, the greater the increase. That would not = "nice alternative" IMO

If you can show a study with this result, that would be great.
  • RivenV
    RivenV Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options

I am also interesting in seeing a study with this result.

You know, unless the user can't find one, despite checking "any cancer research organization."
  • bcattoes
    Options

From the American Institute for Cancer Research:
    http://preventcancer.aicr.org/site/PageServer?pagename=recommendations_05_red_meat
    Studies show we can eat up to 18 ounces a week of red meat without raising cancer risk. Research on processed meat shows cancer risk starts to increase with any portion.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18444144