Protein Bars

Options
I'm certainly no fitness expert, but I've been at the gym now for about 6 months and I'm pretty happy with my progress. Like most people I have stalled here and there and eventually I can seem to get going again at one point or another. Right now I'm a bit stuck again. My question is, will protein bars help or hinder my progress? I'm not really a lifter as such, and I'm very worried about the sugar and carb content in the bars seeing as on a regular day now (while not eating any protein bars) my protein intake is fair but I usually reach and sometimes go over my sugars, and my carbs are being handled relatively well. I see some other gym goers eating these bars and they are in fantastic shape, but I'm not sure how it will affect me, or if I even need them. Suggestions anyone?

Replies

• sylo1609
    sylo1609 Posts: 36
    Options
    Those bars won't get you anywhere, and those in shape ppl you're talking about are not in shape because they eat those bars on a regular basis.
    I'm not saying protein bars are bad, in fact some are pretty tasty and their macros are not bad either, but protein from natural sources is still the best you can do to hit your macros (and avoid unnecessary sugar at the same time).

And it'll save you money ;)
  • LongIsland27itl
    LongIsland27itl Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    It's got nothing to do with ur progress really, they're a convenient when you can't get a meal, and these are the absolute best
    http://www.vpxsports.com/muscle-building-supplements/zero-impact-protein-bars
    But if you want it buy from bodybuilding.com
  • ShannonKirton
    ShannonKirton Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the info guys. On the weekends its pretty hard to keep the food under as much control as I would like, but it's not every weekend that this happens. During the week I am always at my goals and right now my only "overshot" is the sugar due to the fruit I am eating. The stall has been about 3 weeks to a month now, and I've recalculated all my goals etc last week.

It's good to know that the protein bars are neither helping nor hindering as I must admit they are pretty expensive to buy on a regular basis (at least here in Barbados) and I will keep in mind that they are convenient if I can't get a full meal at any point in my day. Otherwise I eat plenty of lean meats like chicken and fish where I get my protein from and on my heavier workout days I have some eggs to boost it up and make sure my muscles are happy.
  • My0WNinspiration
    My0WNinspiration Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    I like the cliff builder bars.
  • xinit0
    xinit0 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    I like the cliff builder bars.

Same here - often along with an apple or banana as a breakfast replacement with decent macros. Really just about the convenient protein, and the not horribly high calorie count at 270.
  • Mlkmaid
    Mlkmaid Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I eat Luna bar many mornings before I go run when I don't feel like eating and I know just coffee won't give me the fuel I need. I don't consider them "real" food but rather as a better version of a granola bar.
  • Keiras_Mom
    Keiras_Mom Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    I use them in a pinch for a meal replacement, rather than for supplementing my diet. I like Quest bars for the amount of protein versus calorie content.
  • kwedman488
    kwedman488 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I've just recently gotten into trying out protein bars. A lot of them are almost as bad calorically as candy bars, but I've found that the Luna bars work well for me as an afternoon snack between lunch and doing my insanity workout. I find them to be really tasty but at the same time they give me a lot of protein that I need. I generally har a hard time eating enough protein.
  • Mario_Az
    Mario_Az Posts: 1,331 Member
    Options
    Quest bars are where its at. high protein, high fiber, low sugar. IMO, anything over 5g of sugar is a candy bar and you might as well just eat the candy bar.

yep she is right :) Quest bars
  • tacticalhippie
    tacticalhippie Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    Quest bars are where its at. high protein, high fiber, low sugar. IMO, anything over 5g of sugar is a candy bar and you might as well just eat the candy bar.

I love the quest bars!!
  • Stump_Likker
    Stump_Likker Posts: 2,059 Member
    Options

Love Quest bars, especially the chocolate brownie and chocolate peanut butter.