Ok to be over your protein for the day?

Options
I notice lately I have been going over my protein goal for the day but I am staying within my calorie goals, is this ok?

Replies

• wadedawg
    wadedawg Posts: 315
    Options
    It's fine. Your body will just "eliminate" it.
  • LongIsland27itl
    LongIsland27itl Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    The protein requirement is a MINIMUM in your macros. Hit it hard if you want. As long as you get ur Fat MAximum in, the protein is only limited by ur cals
  • StrongFitSexy
    Options
    Of course its ok:) protein is good for you and beneficial
  • LongIsland27itl
    Options
    Are you saying one can eat as much protein as they want and it will never turn into fat regardless of its caloric value?
  • wadedawg
    wadedawg Posts: 315
    Options
    Are you saying one can eat as much protein as they want and it will never turn into fat regardless of its caloric value?

I'm saying that going over your macro a bit isn't going to hurt because you'll just crap it out. Did I say "eat as much protein as they want?" Stop looking to pick an argument.
  • botafitness
    botafitness Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Whenever one macronutrient (such as protein) is increased, it will affect another macronutrient level. So for example, when protein intake goes up (and overall calorie consumption stays balanced) fat intake or carb intake may go down. This really only becomes a problem when one macronutrient (such as carbs) become reduced to such a level that important "micro-nutrients" begin to be dramatically reduced over time. One day here-and-there is not a big deal, but if done consistently over weeks, months, and years, it can negatively impact your health. Vitamin C, for example, is a necessary micronutrient (that helps our body oxidize/burn fat) that is only found in plant foods. If protein is increased to such a level that vitamin C levels are reduced, then YES, you're consuming too much protein. If you feel constipated, you may be consuming too much protein. If you feel dehydrated, fatigued, headaches, bad breath, etc. these could all be symptoms of too much protein:)
  • Michellekutz1
    Options
    Wow that is alot of information, thanks everyone I will stay moderate, but will concentrate more on watching my carb and sugars! I think they should add fiber to this too, do you agree?
  • LongIsland27itl
    Options
    I track fiber on MFP but still I don't seem to get enough
  • operation_cute
    operation_cute Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    Wow that is alot of information, thanks everyone I will stay moderate, but will concentrate more on watching my carb and sugars! I think they should add fiber to this too, do you agree?

You can replace one of the other nutrients you track with fiber if you want, I track mine, go to your settings :)
  • freindsofmine
    freindsofmine Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Most of the time im over on fiber ,two days been over on carbs..its a balance ....
  • freindsofmine
    freindsofmine Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Most of the time im over on fiber ,two days been over on carbs..its a balance ....
  • drbxgold
    drbxgold Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I don't know what some of these clowns are saying... If you go over with protein your carbs/ fat will go down?!?! HUH???

Anyway... to answer the question...

As long as you stay within your caloric deficit you probably are fine... However if you going over your protein often, you may choose to re-calculate your macro-nutrient intake... I did this recently with carbs and fats... I reduced my carbs a little and upped my fat... Give it a go, lower your carbs or fats (I'd say lower fat before carbs) and then monitor your progress... The best teacher is experience.

Hope that helped!
  • drbxgold
    drbxgold Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I'm ALWAYS over on fibre, I don't count it.. I make sure I pack in my complex carbs and veggies so its a sure thing I'll get enough
  • Sactown900
    Sactown900 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I lift six days a week, so I go over a little a few days a week. Protein is just expensive. It won't hurt you once and a while. I also feel better on a good Paleo week, "Great workouts."

The issue was the abuse the "Gym Monsters" did in the 70s, 250-500 grams a day. I know a few in their mid-sixties with only one kidney and two (70+) that died of colon cancer. That was ALLOT OF RED MEAT.

Today there are many ways to get healthy high quality protein.
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    I don't know what some of these clowns are saying... If you go over with protein your carbs/ fat will go down?!?! HUH???

If you eat the same number of calories, but increase protein, then fat or carbs must decrease in order to maintain set calories.
    If you increase protein but do not decrease fat or carbs, you will increase calories.
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    MFP sets protein too low. To set your macros, check out this link: 

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/911011-calculating-calorie-macronutrient-needs?page=1#posts-13821336

Also, it's hard to have too much protein. 

"It has been observed that the human liver cannot safely metabolise much more than 285-365 g of protein per day (for an 80 kg person), and human kidneys are similarly limited in their capability to remove urea (a byproduct of protein catabolism) from the bloodstream. Exceeding that amount results in excess levels of amino acids, ammonia (hyperammonemia), and/or urea in the bloodstream, with potentially fatal consequences,[1] especially if the person switches to a high-protein diet without giving time for the levels of his or her hepatic enzymes to upregulate. Since protein only contains 4 kcal/gram, and a typical adult human requires in excess of 1900 kcal to maintain the energy balance, it is possible to exceed the safe intake of protein if one is subjected to a high-protein diet with little or no fat or carbohydrates. However, given the lack of scientific data on the effects of high-protein diets, and the observed ability of the liver to compensate over a few days for a shift in protein intake, the US Food and Nutrition Board does not set a Tolerable Upper Limit nor upper Acceptable Macronutrient Distribution Range for protein.[2] Furthermore, medical sources such as UpToDate[3] do not include listings on this topic." 

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rabbit_starvation
  • Michellekutz1
    Options
    Thanks so much guys, new to this and leargning as I go, was so happy I could add fiber, I am not getting nearly enough this week:) Lots to learn thanks for taking time to respond :happy:
  • MatthewMacG
    MatthewMacG Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    People have been alive for millions of years, and lived long, productive happy lives without giving a care in the world what their macro nutrient levels where, today is no different from the last few million years. If you eat a healthy balanced diet that includes all food groups you'll have no problems.
  • botafitness
    Options
    It seems like it should be fairly obvious and doesn't take a genius to see that if you increase one macro (i.e. protein) and calories remain constant, then some other macros (i.e. carbs and fat) will need to go down.

How complicated is that? Us "clowns" must just not know how to do our math.

If you eat a diet that is 20% protein, 50% carb, and 30% fat, do you mind telling me what happens to your carb and fat intake if you increase protein to 30-35%?

It certainly does not stay the same! Not unless you're trying to gain weight!
  • botafitness
    Options
    Thank you:) It's nice to know that someone on here has some common sense:)