Warming up before your run...

Options

Replies

• drojen
    drojen Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I always walk 5 minutes before starting to run (another slow runner here), and I make sure to always do 15 minutes of yoga stretches after my run. This has helped keep my nagging piriformis (sp) injury from recurring (so far).
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I don't stretch before a run, but I do walk briskly about 5-10 minutes before and after, and that works for me.
  • bert16
    bert16 Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    I don't warm up. My first mile is usually a little slower pace but other than that, I don't stretch until afterwards, if at all.

^^^ this
  • TheBeerRunner
    TheBeerRunner Posts: 2,777 Member
    Options
    I always do a 5 minute warm-up walk followed by a 5 minute cool-down walk after running... I think as I've increased distance and speed it's not enough. I've been very tense and sore after runs lately. Adding in stretching before running has helped some. I'm sure my body needs some downtime to rest, but I'm trying to run 100 miles for the month of June and only have 4 miles to go to reach that goal. Once that happens I'll be incorporating some more stretching / yoga into my routine and will only be running 3-4 days a week instead of 5-6.
  • stealthSLOTH
    stealthSLOTH Posts: 695 Member
    Options
    Dynamic stretches before, static stretches afterward.
    http://www.runnersworld.com/stretching/dynamic-routine

That said, 'If it ain't broke, don't fix it'...

I did what some others mentioned here (walk, then run; or walk, then jog slowly, then run) as well and it worked out fine for me, but
    as a novice, my body would freak out after longer runs when training for a 1/2M. For 10+ mile runs, it made a big difference for me to do the dynamic stretches before and the static ones after. Just my 2 cents.

Good luck! :flowerforyou:

- - -

ETA: Addressing the OP's comment about speed - I run very slowly and I find the dynamic stretches beforehand and the static stretches afterward helpful. I suspect it might be an issue of fitness and/or length of run and not a speed issue, per se.
  • TedStout
    TedStout Posts: 241
    Options
    Before I run for time (5K, etc), I warm up A LOT. I probably job a mile intermittantly prior to...gets the heart rate up and muscles loose. If I am just running for exercise, I don't stretch at all, just run at a comfortable pace until I start to sweat and loosen up. On a longer run, my first mile is usually much slower. Works for me, but you have to find what works for you. Stretch AFTER running, definitely!
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    Maybe pick a different "warm-up" routine. Like, do some light weight-training---use light weights, do full, slow range-of-motion.
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    Recent research has shown that stretching before a workout might be detrimental for both speed and strength: http://healthland.time.com/2013/04/08/why-stretching-may-not-help-before-exercise/

Personally, I warm up by doing 5 minutes at a slower pace and save all my stretching for post-workout. :-)
  • kcrowers
    kcrowers Posts: 17
    Options
    i usually walk around half mile first i have unnaturally tight muscles so it takes a bit to get me going..i never stretch before hand though..after i usually walk slow and then do another 1/4 to half mile backwards, it looks funny but it deffinatly helps stretch out my shins and i get less shin splints, i also feel that it helps me with building muscles buy doing i've been able to consitantly get faster every week. i always do a 20 minute strectch after, i'm a slow runner too, i usuallyalternate between power walking at 4 mph and jogging at somewhere between 5-6..i can only last a around a half mile to so i know what its like
  • miracole
    miracole Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    I'm probably not the best example as by the time I drag my butt out the door I am the person who wants to run straight out the gate, though I have read multiple times that static stretching pre-run can lead to muscle tears. If you're going to warm up at all do an active warmup (jumping jacks, high knees, etc) to get your blood pumping.

I tend to just count my first 2-3km as a warmup and really settle into my pace after that. I try to remember to stretch afterward but sometimes that doesn't happen either. So far no major injuries *knocks on wood* though my bi-monthly trips to my physio as a precaution may account for that!
  • chelsifina
    chelsifina Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I never warm up before I run, and I am a very slow runner as well. I have pilates as a regular part of my routine and get the stretching in that way, but its never connected to my running. Works for me.
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    I rarely stretch when doing cardio. I start off slower than full speed, work up to speed, then get after it. And I mean speed as a relative term, I don't run real fast either.

I may stretch in the evenings after I've done stregnth training, but that's it.

It's good to try different stuff in the exercise world, but if you don't like something and aren't seeing any benefit from it...stop doing it.
  • freesoul
    freesoul Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    You ARE doing backwards! There are some studies that show that stretching before a work out can result in more injuries, not less. It does help with muscle soreness and staying limber if you stretch AFTER, however.

As for warming up- just walk very fast or run very slow at first for a few minutes; that is called an active warm up, it consists of doing the same movements you do during the activity but at a lower intensity, and it is all the best standard practice for most sports.
  • wadedawg
    wadedawg Posts: 315
    Options
    I warm up with a 10 minute walk, then stop and stretch, then do my run. I finish with a 10 minute cool down and another stretch. I count both the warm up and cool down when I calculate calories burned too. That 20 minutes spent walking makes it look like I ran farther :-).
  • Liz_Mfp
    Liz_Mfp Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I'm a fan of the walking warm-up.
    I do
    :15 minutes walk-only warm-up,
    then my workout
    then
    :15 minutes slow-walking-only Cool-Down

The WarmUp
    I do a little
    :05 slow walk a little mosey-stroll, then
    :05 Regular slow walking
    :05 Faster walking

Then I do my first 10 minutes of jogging slow but count it as my Workout minutes that day.

I never stretch
    Ever
  • Liz_Mfp
    Liz_Mfp Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    .....show that stretching before a work out can result in more injuries
    , not less. It does help with muscle soreness and staying limber if you stretch AFTER, however.

Exactly why I never stretch before. Ever.

And AFTER, I do 15-20 minutes of slow walking in lieu of stretching.

I never stretch, not before, not after, not ever ;-)
  • clarkeje1
    clarkeje1 Posts: 1,636 Member
    Options
    I think what you suggested would be fine, walking for about 5 minutes to warm up, but you need to make sure you stretch really good afterwards! Its so important to prevent injury.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I do a 4-5 minute warm up walk before I run, usually walk for a few minutes after as well, then do some stretching. Got into that habit when I first started out with c25k, and once I completed it, tried starting right out running and didn't like it. Found I don't like skipping the stretching after either - feel much better with some good stretches, especially stuff for my hammies & IT band.
  • 55in13
    55in13 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    There was an australian study where they found runners performance was better when they stretch after a run, but not before.

But, you ALWAYS warm up before any exercise. I used to do jumping jacks, and then leg lift things. I don't know what you call them. I'd just lift my knee as high as possible and hold it, then do the other leg. I'd do a bunch of those, plus the jumping jacks. Then, go for my fast walk, then run.
    I don't really understand this - how is doing jumping jacks less strenuous than running? I can run for over 90 minutes; I can't do jumping jacks for half that (probably way less than half).

BTW, those "leg lift things" - I call them stretches...