Emotional eating, have you been there..?

Options
Hey guys, I was just wondering, anyone ever been at one of those "forks in the road" points of life, where, it's like, Ok, here we go! (ie: when you just graduate from university, with your "career" on the horizon, but, have no idea where your life is really headed, you just separated from your spouse, you lost your job, etc). I am at that point (recent graduate)! I did soo good with losing weight last year, but then, every since Nov, I've just been like, knocked out emotionally, and, it's like I can't seem to snap out of it!! But it's confusing, because, I am trying everything, I think its just the lack of people in my life, or something! but it's like all my motivation has flown out the window. I LOVE to workout, and I do ALL the time, but, I still find myself migrating to the kitchen for that "spoonful of peanut butter" or that 1/4 of a bagel with butter, etc. (I am around 170, looking to lose about 30-35 lbs)

Anyone have any tips on how to snap out of this?? I am potentially getting a job in sept, and I have a few weeks of work for the summer, and recently I'm sort of in the "transition from graduate to working woman" sort of a phase/job searcher, etc. Anyways, any tips, any ideas, any help, would be super awesome! I just need to regain some motivation. I love to eat healthy, and am planning on following a plan, as I have in the past, and they work, but, the whole, feeling super depressed, and not having too many people around, is difficult. I am also starting to go to a church with tuns of people my age, so, I am determined, I am going to make new friends, etc, so I am sure that will help!! but dealing with life in the interim is a bit of a challenge.. Sort of being at that point where you're like "wow, what has my life come to.." I gained like almost 10 lbs since Nov, and I am really mad at myself! But I seem to be "yes, this is the week, I am starting over, it's on, I am going to lose weight, etc" but then, by the end of the week, I am like, wow, I am still in the same place, and I've done that for like the past 6 wks!!

Anyways, any tips, advice, help, anything! would be super appreciated :) Thx guys! and thx for all your success stories! they are so motivational!!

Replies

• Stacey_Lorraine
    Options
    I had the emotional eating issue when I lived in my flat so to fix it i took a several pictures of myself in undies, circled the bits I didn't like on myself and stuck them on the fridge. It worked a treat and I can say I haven't really emotionally eaten in 13 months!! Don't even need to pics up anymore x
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    I just ate a Twix and a bag of gummi worms because my job is so stressful. I'm actually still chewing the Twix. I'm a highly emotional eater. But, you just have to win more often than not. Find something constructive to do with your time. Sometimes just saying "This doughnut will not make me feel any better" is enough to stop emotional eating in its tracks. I'll probably never be able to completely stop it, but I'm at a point where I win more than I lose (or I wouldn't have a picture of myself in a bikini up).
  • BettyAnnEbanks
    BettyAnnEbanks Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    just keep reminding yourself of your goal to loose the weight. over time its gets easier
  • FrustratedYoYoer
    FrustratedYoYoer Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Yes i have been there but once i figure out that emotional eating didn't make me feel any better or resolve whatever the issue may be at that time I stopped. Sounds simple, but one day it really did dawn on me that getting home every evening, feeling unhappy, tired out and wallowing in comfort food was changing nothing. The root of my unhappiness/emotion was still there, i was still tired and i still had to work all day regardless of how much i comfort ate. I realised the food was not changing anything except my waist line self-esteem and so I stopped. I now use that sadness/emotion to drive me forwards and focus on my goals and i'm a lot happier for it.

Now, if i am feeling like i could comfort eat it is usually due to tiredness so i will sleep instead. If I want to eat cos i'm sad/low i remind myself how i feel after a binge and that nothing changes and it stops me. Or i simply tell myself that i did not get into size X jeans or lose X pounds but stuffing my face and skipping workouts. I have not comfort eaten in over 6 months now and in late 2012 i was comfort eating every night like i said. So believe me when i say u can turn it around
  • patrnbabe
    patrnbabe Posts: 42
    Options
    1. take a hard look at your eating habits. Make sure you have a good balance of protein, complex carbs, veggies, etc. Take a good multi vitamin-mineral supplement. Basically, meet your nutritional needs, and cravings will be easier to manage. Essentially, if you take care of nutrition, the emotions are so much easier to manage.

2. make sure you're getting enough sleep, and live on a normal daytime schedule. Get up, get dressed, have a purpose for the day. Being purposeful throughout the day will help manage emotional eating.

3. find things other than food that you enjoy doing, or are meditative, soothing, joyful, fun, exciting, etc to replace food as an emotional reward. Tell yourself "if I accomplish XYZ, then I get to do ___" ie something that's not food related. This can help shift your emotional rewards away from food.

4. interact with and do stuff for others, outside of food related activities. In other words, get outside yourself. You will feel better about yourself when you are not always focused on you. Sounds weird, but it works.

The other half of the equation is managing your emotions.
    Being purposeful every day helps diminish the blues or "lost" feelings when your life is in transition.
    Take charge; don't let life just happen to you while you're waiting for "a path" to come along. Chose your goal, your life's direction, and start moving towards it. Make a plan of how to get to where you want to be.
    Decide to be happy, regardless of the stress in life.
    Because girlfriend, stress / challenges will always be part of your life. Don't let them control you.

(((hugs))) this stuff can take a lifetime to learn. I wish I had figured it out 30 years ago.....
  • alfiedn
    alfiedn Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    I am such an emotional eater. Also, the transition out of college is unbelievably difficult. I remember going from grad to undergrad I worked in a very isolated area and didn't even have access to phone reception very often. It was extremely difficult. The transition from grad to working was a little easier for me because I didn't move until I had a new job and I WAS working (part time at a coffee shop...). So, I totally hear you. Wasn't that long ago for me.

When I am eating emotionally over a long period of time (usually for me it's just a few days that are rough, which is nice now), it helps to replace the eating with something else that I enjoy and consumes my mental energy. For example: when I start to get hungry and I know it's emotional (let's face it...sometimes easier said than done), perhaps do a puzzle or something. I usually practice my violin because that takes a lot of mental energy for me if I'm doing it right. Reading a book might be a great idea, too. If its a wonderful book, sometimes it's easy to forget about other things!

Another thing that helps me when I don't have a ton going on is to impose a routine on myself. Ex:
    8:00 get up
    8:15-9:00 work out
    9:00-10:00 eat breakfast
    10:00-12:00 practice
    12:00-1:00 clean the house
    1:00-2:30 eat lunch
    2:30-4:00 do errands
    4:00-6:00 read a book
    6:00-7:30 eat dinner
    7:30-8:30 practice
    8:30-10:30 watch TV

This isn't quite my routine, but coming up with something LIKE this can help me.
  • sissiluv
    sissiluv Posts: 2,205 Member
    Options
    I'm a pretty big emotional and boredom eater myself. Sometimes it just hits me and I can't stop myself but when I gotta eat (and eat NOW or else risk going crazy) I do my best to reach for something healthy, like celery or broccoli or, at worst, crackers.
  • GirlyGirl28a
    GirlyGirl28a Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much guys for the tips! They help! and I am going to put them into practice!!
  • moondawg14
    moondawg14 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I'm a pretty big emotional and boredom eater myself. Sometimes it just hits me and I can't stop myself but when I gotta eat (and eat NOW or else risk going crazy) I do my best to reach for something healthy, like celery or broccoli or, at worst, crackers.

This for me as well. For me, the keys are:

1. LOG EVERYTHING and make sure your diary is public. This gives me an enhanced sense of accountability. If I had to stand at the top of a hill and announce everything I ate, would I be embarrassed?

2. Redirect. Find something to do so that I'm not "bored" and just wandering around the house. Dig out one of my hobbies, take a walk, go exercise, SOMETHING.

3. I heard a great tip from someone: "If feel hungry, I go for an apple(or something else "healthy") If an apple doesn't sound good, I'm probably not REALLY hungry" The point being, if I'm *actually* hungry, instead of just bored/emotional hungry, then a healthy food will sound good.
  • JessHealthKick
    JessHealthKick Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    if you KNOW you are an emotional eater, make room for it in your daily allowance. I personally can't deal without my chocolate. I used to always tell myself I would be fine today, I don't need it today... but then after everything I would give in at midnight and run to the closest convenience score for a 250cal hit. NOW I make an allowance for it and expect it, make it a part of my life.

I think the best things to do are:
    1. don't have the bad foods in your house if you can't help yourself.
    2. find something to occupy yourself if you are getting bored and emotionally overwhelmed - go for a walk, take up a hobby (learn another language?), anything!
    3. allow for it if you know you tend to eat an extra 400 cals. If your allowance for the day is 1500cals, try to aim for 1200 and then you won't let the emotional eating alter your net so much.

Good luck!
  • lilpocketrocket
    lilpocketrocket Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Ive been an emotional eater since I was in my teens...I find when im bored or just feeling down in the dumps, and its never healthy food I eat.

As im focused on my healthy lifestyle, If im feeling this way I will journal, read a book, do a puzzle, see if a friend wants to catch up for a coffee or take the dog for a walk and get some sunshine....I find even getting outside for 20 minutes can make the world of difference.

Good luck and you've always got the MFP forums if you need support :)
  • iggyboo93
    iggyboo93 Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    Consummate emotional eater here. I remember going through the Wendy's drive thru, parking in a dark lot, eating everything in the bag and crying. Food seems to fill the void in addition to the stomach. It's strange - I could probably eat a large combo with an even larger soda but not feel full afterwards. The triggers are typically family or work stress. I've tried to exercise, watch a good movie or talk to a good friend. Nothing seems to work quite like a double cheeseburger.
  • vaironika
    vaironika Posts: 36
    Options
    OMG you sound so similar to me. I haven't graduated i actually just started university and during my first year i lost ALOT of weight because i was eating very healthy and exercising everyday (i also love exercising and do it all the time, i feel like crap when i don't) but now that its summer and i didn't do so well in my last term i'm questioning my future and i feel a little depressed. I also have a lack of people in my life and i have started to binge eat which is wayy new territory for me because i was always so healthy and controlled but now i feel like i don't really give a damn. I've put on almost 20 pounds but since i was actually underweight before it doesn't look too bad and its actually supposed to be healthy for me since i'm still trying reach over 105 pounds but im very scared that this bingeing won't stop and i'll just keep gaining! im trying to set a future goal for myself though because i actually want to be a dietitian or nutritionist and i just picture myself being all fit and healthy looking and having people want to come to me for advice on health. The more i think about that, the less urge i feel to binge and want to get back on track.

My advice would be to find a future goal for yourself to help you stay positive and keep your mind off eating. Remember that you'll need to take of your health in order to have a bright future. Also when you find yourself wanting to eat something you know won't benefit you just think "is this snack or meal really going to make me happy?" " am i going to find happiness by eating something high in fat, calories, and/or sugar?" No. You will find happiness through love and communication. Even just try going out for a walk by yourself to clear your head and listen to your favorite music. After i do that my need to binge completely goes away because i feel energized as i breathe the fresh air and it helps me think about life better. Best of luck on your journey to health! You have the power to change for the better, just stay positive :)
  • kwedman488
    kwedman488 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I'm a huge emotional eater. Ever since summer started this year I've just been using excuses to stuff my face. It doesn't help that I'm working 2 jobs to make college next semester easier, so when I get home at midnight or some such late hour, I'm exhausted and hungry from not having eaten in a good 5 hours, and I just stuff my face to feel better about my long hard day and to ease my hunger. I just overeat is my problem, and I have a hard time saying no particularly when I come home from work and see that my mOm has cooked extras of the food that she knows I like for me to eat. Living at home makes it especially hard for me to say no to the food because with my family around to eat the food too, I can't tell myself "it'll still be there tomorrow", because it won't be. Not at all like my college life where the food stays until I eat it. But what I have found is helping me is that firstly, I'm starting the insanity program and following the nutrition guide loosely (I used it to calculate my caloric needs) and I made an eating schedule for myself so that I'm eating every couple hours. Probably the best thing I've started for myself that is really helping is that I made myself a jar that i put a quarter into at the end of every day that I have followed my eating plan and not divulged otherwise. Then at the end of each month I can get myself something nice or maybe buy myself a scoop of ice cream with that money and then start over. Today was my first day trying it and I have to say that it feels really rewarding and exciting to put that quarter in and be able to say "I earned that. I did it." :)
  • cmstraut
    cmstraut Posts: 15
    Options
    I think a lot of ppl feel your pain. It is always a struggle for me. On a bad day, I just want that piece of chocolate. The thing I figured out was, that piece of chocolate didn't actually make me feel any better. I have slowly transitioned my self way from emotional eating but it will never go away. To get rid of stress I use exercise after work. If it gets really bad at work, then I go for a quick walk or job. I've also started seeing a massage therapist regularly. What a difference that has made in my stress level.

Everyone is different so you will have to find what works for you. Try to tunnel that energy somewhere else or try meditation and relaxation when you have a craving. Its all about baby steps and eventually it will get easier.

Goof luck :flowerforyou:
  • oceanmistcali
    oceanmistcali Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Yes have been there. for me since I know its emotional I instead write in a journal no one ever sees it. I write what my feelings are and let it all out. I reach for my journal and pen and set to writing. after that I don't feel the need to eat anymore because it makes me feel a lot better
  • aNewYear123
    aNewYear123 Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    If you believe part of the problem is loneliness then you need to make an effort to find at least a few new friends, not dates (although that is good too) - friends. If you have religious beliefs find a local church/synagog/temple whatever and see if they have groups of people your age. See if there are events in your neighborhood, book club, something. Now that you don't have a college setting you are going to have to work at finding ways to meet new people.
  • GirlyGirl28a
    GirlyGirl28a Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    thx guys! those are awesome tips!! very very useful!! :) thx for the encouragement!