Are there any good tasting low cal/high iron cereals/foods

Options
kimber607
kimber607 Posts: 7,128 Member
Hi

I'm feeling pretty sluggish and loosing lots of hair
I had thyroid/iron issues in the past but was checked a few months ago and all was normal (my Dr said my iron was within the normal range, but on the low normal side)
I don't eat red meat and want to increase my iron intake and see if it help with my hair loss and helps me feel better overall
Any ideas..as I'm not a red meat or spinach fan
I picked up Total raisin bran which is low cal and high in iron (100%) but it is NOT that tasty :)

Kim

Replies

• kimber607
    Options
    Hi

I had thyroid/iron issues in the past but was checked a few months ago and all was normal (my Dr said my iron was within the normal range, but on the low normal side)
    I don't eat red meat and want to increase my iron intake and see if it help with my hair loss and helps me feel better overall
    I picked up Total raisin bran which is low cal and high in iron (100%) but it is NOT that tasty :)

Kim
  • Fab140
    Fab140 Posts: 1,976 Member
    Options
    Are you taking any supplements? Pre-natal supplements are loaded with Iron and Biotin. And you may check on vegan and vegetarian websites for alternatives as well.

http://www.mamashealth.com/nutrition/anemia.asp

Found this website for you :happy:

:flowerforyou:
  • kimber607
    Options
    Hi

I'm taking a regular woman's mutli-vitamin

Thanks, kim
  • mimzy
    mimzy Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Molasses is high in iron and really yummy on toast/peanutbutter :happy:

I cook with iron skillets and that helps a little bit.

Here are some tips I just found online...very interesting.

:heart: Vitamin C enhances iron absorption from plant sources -- drink orange juice with iron-rich foods.

:heart: Tea with meals can act as an iron blocker.

:heart: Other iron blockers include carbonates, oxalates, and phosphates. Foods that contain these iron blockers include, cranberries, rhubarb, spinach, and soda
  • currys
    currys Posts: 1
    Options
    I believe broccoli is high in iron. I'd do an internet search for foods high in iron, but I guess nothing beats a good slab of liver!!
  • Fab140
    Options
    "Can Anemia be Prevented?

Yes. If your diet is high in iron, you probably won't be anemic. Iron can be found in red meat, liver, raisins, spinach, broccoli, and egg yolks. "
  • natalie1
    natalie1 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Don't laugh:blushing: ,but old wifes tales say:
    1-cook on iron skillet ( you'll get trace of iron in your food)
    2-buy new IRON nails ( from Home Depot or something), wash and clean them all you want, and than boil them in the pot of water. Let them stay in that water overnight and than drink this water all day. Use the same nails over and over- more iron would be released.:drinker:
  • kimber607
    Options
    Thanks everyone for all the suggestion
    I didn't know about the egg yolks and raisins...I'll have to increase my intake

Thanks again, kim
  • RunFasterMommy
    Options
    Total Raisin Bran tastes awesome and has 100% of your daily iron needs. I love it!

Nutrition Facts
    General Mills - Total Raisin Bran

Calories

Vitamin A
    10 %
    Calcium
    100 %
    Vitamin C
    0 %
    Iron
    100 %
  • studentRN
    studentRN Posts: 440 Member
    Options

buy new IRON nails ( from Home Depot or something), wash and clean them all you want, and than boil them in the pot of water. Let them stay in that water overnight and than drink this water all day. Use the same nails over and over- more iron would be released.:drinker:

:sick: BLECH!
  • Fab140
    Options

buy new IRON nails ( from Home Depot or something), wash and clean them all you want, and than boil them in the pot of water. Let them stay in that water overnight and than drink this water all day. Use the same nails over and over- more iron would be released.:drinker:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
    Exactly what I thought!!!

Or suck on those toys they keep recalling......
  • mjfer123
    mjfer123 Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options

:noway: oh no! lead and iron are two different things
  • studentRN
    studentRN Posts: 440 Member
    Options

:noway: oh no! lead and iron are two different things

:noway: Yeaaaaah... Lead is bad, mkay?
  • pmkelly409
    pmkelly409 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    Hi

Kim

Your hair loss could be part of your lifecycle too. They say our bodies change every 7 years.
    Also stress is a huge factor in hair loss.

I just got a handout from the doctor yesterday and surprisingly raisins are not as high as everyone claims - Liver unfortunately was the best source! and this is how I feel about that --->:sick: