Something is wrong with me

Options
I have not been any more active than normal, i am sedentary.. i know i know what you are thinking, get up and move but for now im just not motivated and going into surgery in two days so whats the point right now, but anyway am not active and for the last few days I have been starving!!! I think about food all of the time, my stomach always feels hungry and i am finding myself going to sleep early just to prevent myself from binging.. so what gives? ALSO, I am on a very low fixed income, i am disabled, on disablility and require the assistance from the government to help with food. that being said it is very very hard to afford food that is good for me.. I bought a couple real big watermelons at the beginning of the month, a huge bag of mixed salad and a huge box of baby spinach and a five dozen eggs and huge thing of salsa.. eggs are for egg whites and salsa goes with the eggs in case you are wondering.. I was doing wonderful eating fruits and veggies, tons of salads barely any meat if you can believe that. I havent really lost any weight since i started this but I was feeling emotionally better about myself but lately I am starving. I want food all the time. SOOOO my problems are, why am i so hungry?? and what are some very very cheap foods that are not bad for me?? HELP

Replies

• Amy154
    Amy154 Posts: 52
    Options
    Brown Rice and Beans!!

Cheap and the best with salsa---major protein and fiber!!

Good luck!!
  • Nina74
    Nina74 Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    Check www.angelfoodministries.com. No need to qualify. They have different packages of food for cheap!
  • Dawn_2013
    Dawn_2013 Posts: 170
    Options
    Jenniflower...

God I SO get you. The only way out...to a better life it to look forward to MORE. Not the less of your experience. You can do this...shop at farmers markets/not the grocery stores for veggies, it is SO CHEAP...ok, not perfectly convenient...but having $$$ is not exactly a cure. It is about stepping up to your own life. Make it happen. YOU CAN DO THIS! I am doing it. I am not disabled, but I work full tme and have limited hours and that is another issue. We all have our issues...lets support each other.
  • lhg1986
    lhg1986 Posts: 2
    Options
    www.angelfoodministries.com is GREAT for people on a fixed income!!! you should try it out!!! anyone can use it
  • bsexton3
    bsexton3 Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    Go to your local food bank. I run the food bank in my town. Right now, we are receiving more fresh fruits and vegetables than we can give out. I had to throw out a couple boxes of cantaloupes, beets, etc. That was after giving away boxes of blueberries, tomatoes, etc.
  • gnrshelton
    gnrshelton Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    Watermelon has more sugar than most melons just in case you didn't know. I think if you look at the cost of good fruits and veggies compared to packaged and processed foods you really will find it its just as cheap you just need to plan a bit more. Buy a little more in bulk like chicken and ground turkey. Ground turkey is cheaper than hamburger in my area. Just think a little more on how you shop. It might take a whole new way of shopping.
  • islandnutshel
    islandnutshel Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    I check your diet diary. I see lots of refined white flour (bread, donuts, fruit loops cereal?) and lots of processed foods (spam...) I would even encourage you to eat some of those egg yolks, because you could use the iron if you are pre-surgery.
    Whole grains, brown rice, are inexpensive and nutritious. Fruit & vegetable are in season and are fairly cheap. But honest, I would focus on this after surgery. Don't overwhelm yourself just focus on getting nutrients that will help you recover fast. Best wishes, and keep us updated on how you are doing please.
  • reneeot
    reneeot Posts: 773 Member
    Options
    Bananas always cheap!! Apples!

Buy baby carrots to snack on. Squash sliced(yummy) add corn, green chilie with garlic and pepper!!

Eggs for bkfst I do a 1/3 ratio, whole grain breads only (give you filling feeling). Cheese sticks to snack on, .25 each!!

$2.68 for almond 100 calorie packs (great for filling the belly)

Ground turkey - Honeysuckle brand! $1.78
    Get italian flavored ground turkey for whole wheat pasta, spaghetti sauce in jar (one with no sugar). Mix together and add a little cheese if you want.

Steamfresh veggies in freezer section - $1.25-$1.78 a bag. Sprinkle with garlic/pepper (yum yum)

Kidney beans & black beans as Amy mentioned.
    Nice recipie for kidney beans: Mix 1 small can of tomato sauce, 1 can of kidney beans w/ juice, 1 lb of ground turkey and pkg of chili mix. Over a bed of brown rice!!!!!

Make soup!!
  • moosenbratsmommy
    Options
    if you have a costco or smart and final store near you, check out their veggies, usually cheap and sometimes buying frozen veggies or in a can can help save money.

are you drinking plenty of water? often we confuse hunger with thirst.
  • FoamyRiver
    FoamyRiver Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    You got some great suggestions from everyone...mine is peanut butter and there are so many varieties you can find one that will fit your needs. It it plain, on crackers, bread, bananas, apples, celery, etc.
  • tiffanygil
    tiffanygil Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    =) its okay, nothing is wrong with you! You went wrong with no protein I know eggs have some but I doubt its enough for the whole day. increase your protein and it will cut cravings and help you shed more weight. Beans is a good source and so is cottage cheese, sliced cheese or string cheese (low fat fat free) all cheap if you get the off brand. Chicken is also pretty cheap. I get the walmart brand 6.97 chicken breasts (around 6 in a pack) cook it all at the same time and freeze it with the oz labeled on the bag. If you feel like binging eat a piece of chicken even if it makes you over in calories its better than eating crap =)

Good luck and keep going. Also take your measurements, that's probably where you would have seen the biggest change =)
  • SarahElittlebit
    SarahElittlebit Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Exercise is actually good at reducing hunger. Something to do with the endorphins.

I agree you probably need more protein too. You can get protein powder and add it to your diet daily. This may help.Body Fortress is about $16 for a large container at Walmart (Should last a month). I've found it to be one of the highest protein powders available. One scoop is 24-26 grams of protein and can help the hunger. There are so many variations to make it as well...my favorite is coffee, chocolate powder and skim milk (creamer if I have extra calories I can use). I often have this for breakfast every day and find I'm not hungry until lunch time. Before I started having these I was hungry by 10 am.
  • Eve23
    Eve23 Posts: 2,352 Member
    Options
    I can understand where you are. Here aer a few suggestions I can add. Rice is fairly inexpensive and you can pre make it and use it through the day with lunch or dinner or even a snack. Split peas are terrific and make a great soup you can add ham and vegies to. Cheap and you can make plenty to last a full week. Lentils are wonderful or any bean for that matter. What I like about lentils though, is that they cook quickly. Mix that with some rice, salsa, greens, a bit of cheese if you like and you have an easy meal.

Squash, yams, carrots are tasty also. Yams can be topped with nuts, and honey or brown sugar. So many things can be pre made so they are easy. Tortillas mmmm.

I do agree with staying away from as much refined sugar and carbs as you can. They tend to just keep those cravings going.

There are alot of good suggestions here. Take some that will work for you. These are just things I use when money is tight. Believe me we have seen tight.