running in the heat

Options
its like 90 degrees outside and i want to go running according to my schedule i have a 10 miler today..but i also have a heart condition :( i'm trying to wait for it to cool down in the evening but i'm going to go out tomorrow, i usually brin around a gallon of powerade with me, because its really important for me to stay hydrated..i just know that there was one time and it was just 80 and i remember that i was really confused by the end of my run i couldn't keep track of the miles, by the end of it, does anyone have any safety tips maybe i try to stick to the shade, but i don't like to go out in the evening because i like to spend time with my hubby which means i run in the afternoons, i like the heat and how it makes me work that much harder, but just worried about heat exahustion i've realized that me by the end of some of my runs

Replies

• plateaued
    plateaued Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Fainting, death . . . heat does funny things to you. Get up an hour early and run when it's cool.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Not to sound like a stalker but I see on one of your other posts today you said you have a treadmill at home. Why not use that and stay in out of the heat. Also, talk to your doc to get advice about running with your heart condition in certain situations, taking advice from strangers on the internet when you have a serious medical condition is just a recipe for disaster.

ETA: You also said you had a boyfriend in that post but here you say you have a husband...lolwut?

I'm pretty susceptible to heat exhaustion so I don't even bother trying to run if it's hotter than 75 degrees. Prehydrating is always a good way to prepare for runs in the heat but at this point in the day it's way too late for that, you should've started drinking like a fish about this time yesterday. On top of that, if there's any humidity involved, that adds another layer of problems with poor air quality.

I agree with the other reply - run early in the morning while it's nice and cool
  • bert16
    bert16 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    Just chiming in with the others... I wake up early and get my runs done in the AM before things heat up. I also have a medical condition requiring strict attention to hydration, so in addition to just basically constantly drinking water, I bring plenty of it on all runs and even more when it's hotter. I use a hydration belt with four 10 oz bottles for my longer runs; when it's hot, I bring at least 10 oz for every 3 miles (I fuel and hydrate in 3 mile increments, which is typically how far apart water stations are in a race). If it's really hot, I'll bring more than that by carrying water bottles in my hands. Some folks run with a Camelbak... I've never tried that myself.

Other than getting out early and starting and staying hydrated, you can put a wet bandana in the freezer and tie that around your head or neck, which can help a bit at the start; again, never tried it, but know others who do... and definitely run towards any sprinklers you see out there!

Happy running! :flowerforyou:
  • sjp_511
    sjp_511 Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    I run in the morning to avoid the heat, but the humidity is off the charts! Slow down when it is really hot and run on shaded paths. One of the trails I frequently run has about a mile that is not shaded and I can feel the sun sucking the energy out of me!
  • kcrowers
    kcrowers Posts: 17
    Options
    yeah i thinking about trying to wake up earlier to get done earlier..also my treadmill broke sadly i have to fix it :( i'm also just a retarted i din't even relize till now hubby meant husband..i've called him that as a cutsey name..although so many people have mistakenly thought were married we're not, we've just been together for over 3 years..lol now i know..i'll have to let my friends know too they've called there bfs hubbies
  • LoosingMyLast15
    LoosingMyLast15 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    if you must go out in the afternoon and you do not want to use your treadmill (as someone pointed out) hydrate hydrate hydrate, stay in the shade as much as possible and wear something on your head and most important cut your miles. i usually run in the afternoons as well even in 90+ heat but i never run more than 45 minutes (i've had heat exhaustion before - it is not a good thing). take your time and please consult with your doctor as well (this is probably the most important). a bad run is better than no run unless it kills you then you'll never run again.
  • kcrowers
    kcrowers Posts: 17
    Options
    i've also talked to my cardiologist he says theres nothing wrong with running ( i just have a VSD) for me just hydration is the only thing i have to worry about i just am not allowed to get close to being dehydrated
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Wake up and run early when it's cool out. Run indoors with a treadmill. If you want to run in the heat, you're going to need to adapt to it...not just dive in with a 10 miler in 90+ degree weather. Personally, I don't long run in the heat....if I have a long run, I'll do it in the morning when it's cool. I train in the heat, but no long runs.
  • rachface1234
    rachface1234 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    I sometimes wet the headband of a favorite baseball cap, put in freezer, and use that, then you get shade as well as a cool head for the start ( I workout outside often and I live in SC, the heat / humidity combo is BRUTAL!) but it would never hurt to ask your doctor if he has any helpful guidelines to know that you are safe...
  • emAZn
    emAZn Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    I live in AZ where running in heat is pretty much norm in the summer unless you want to run at 2 am when its finally down to the 80s... In the summers I run with a camelpack cause there is nothing worse than being 3 miles from home and getting the spins... I also usually get up early and run in the morning when its the coolest and lastly i try to do small runs in the heat once or twice a week to keep my body adjusted to it
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    Wake up and run early when it's cool out. Run indoors with a treadmill. If you want to run in the heat, you're going to need to adapt to it...not just dive in with a 10 miler in 90+ degree weather. Personally, I don't long run in the heat....if I have a long run, I'll do it in the morning when it's cool. I train in the heat, but no long runs.

^^^This.

When I run in the heat I try to run at a park on a path that is shaded. I go out no more than 1-1.5 miles from my car and run back and repeat. That way I am never too far away if I have to cut my run short. Listen to your body. And as you already mentioned, stay well hydrated!
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Great topic on running in the heat here: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/512826-running-tip-hot-weather-running

And I'd have to agree with the others - get up early and run at dawn. In my neck of the woods, it's light enough this time of year to get out there between 530 & 6:00am.

Spending time with hubby is awesome, but if he's visiting you in the hospital because you collapsed on your run, it's not really worth it, yeah? :tongue:
  • beckyboop712
    beckyboop712 Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    This just popped up in my email. Great tips.

http://blog.womenshealthmag.com/whexperts/warm-weather-running/?cm_mmc=Newsletter-_-1337670-_-06242013-_-5TipsforRunningintheHeat_ReadMore

One thing that another poster said was to wear a baseball cap or cover your head. Nope, I wouldn't. Heat escapes through your head, let it escape and opt for a visor instead. My running path (lake path in Chicago) has water fountains that span the length of the path. The worst is this mile and a half stretch without a single fountain and about half of it doesn't have any shade. It makes for a rough time to trudge through. I think it's that right there that I will be running with a water bottle this summer for my long runs. You could also get a fuel belt and freeze one of the water bottles so that it's still cool when you need it (bc if it is hot, the ice will melt while you're out).

I also suggest going out in the early morning. You can always catch some Zs later. Good Luck! I'm doing a 3 miler when I get home.
  • LoosingMyLast15
    LoosingMyLast15 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    i suggested the hat or something to cover your head but didn't take into account heat escaping. being extremely fair skinned and strawberry blonde hair when the sun beats down on my head it makes running even worse for me. i've had my scalp burn from the sun (now i put sunblock on my head - where my hair parts to protect it).
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I avoid the heat of the day, but even on sunny mornings, I wear a full hat to protect my head - otherwise my scalp burns on the part in my hair! :tongue: it's a running hat, so made of light, wicking material, and my favorite one when it is hot is white, so that helps a bit.
  • lawkat
    lawkat Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    If you are running in the afternoon, you are running at the hottest part of the day. Are you able to run in the morning? That is when I get my runs in before it becomes too hot. Some suggestions are to take a cold shower before your run. You can buy some towels that when wet and you shake it, it gets cold. You can put that around your neck. If you wear a hat, make sure it is breathable. I know for me, if I wear the wrong hat, my head feels like an oven.

Also, run slower and take breaks if necessary. I hate running in the heat, but sometimes to keep on plan, it is necessary. There are also a ton of articles on Runner's World about running in the heat that can help.
  • dbg1
    dbg1 Posts: 208
    Options
    To address the same concerns, I've purchased a Garmin watch that tracks distance travelled and has a heart rate monitor. This way I can still run and be smart about it.

Garmin® Forerunner 310XT with Heart Rate Monitor

http://www.costco.ca/Garmin®-Forerunner®-110-Red-Bundle-Men’s-Sports-Watch.product.10362053.html
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Good point! Wearing my HRM while running in the heat really puts the effects in perspective - my heart rate is always higher when it's hot out and I know when it's getting close to Max (180), I need to cool down with a walk or I'll risk getting overheated.

Just to give another perspective with hats... There are tech hats that are well ventilated and help with the sweat. I'm also fair and fair haired so I really need the protection on the whole top of my head when I'm out in the sun. Plus, purely for vanity reasons, I'm growing my hair out right now so it would look really crazy with a visor.

OP, I get what you mean with the hubby/bf thing. My Hubs and I were together for over 11 years before we finally got hitched and everyone always assumed we were huband and wife well before then. Glad you're a good sport about it! :bigsmile: