80% of American pre-packaged foods BANNED

Options

Replies

• Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    http://shine.yahoo.com/shine-food/80-pre-packaged-foods-america-banned-other-countries-135100604.html

I found this article to be rather insightful and a bit unsettling. We KNOW, in the back of our minds, that processed foods are not good for us. Yet somehow we still find a way to convince ourselves that it's okay. The lower calorie packs are easy and convenient, and boy do we love easy and convenient.

I have to say that I've eaten non-processed foods as much as possible for the last week... and have lost 6 lbs. O.O. I changed NOTHING else. That has got to speak VOLUMES. VOLUMES!

I know a good majority of people here agree that processed foods should be kicked to the curb, but I know a lot of people also try to use that processed food in order to lose weight. I mean, coal tar, plastic, bleach, petroleum... how are these things okay? How have they made their way into our food??

Alright, discuss my friends. Do you eat processed foods or avoid it like the plague? Trying to switch over? Or do you simply... not care?

I'm willing to bet you ate plenty of processed things last week, also post hoc ergo propter hoc

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRK5IUoSBVMHsJqeX3q1rrOWS8tPIEy7NHW1e7KF5aa4JWJCg2y
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    http://shine.yahoo.com/shine-food/80-pre-packaged-foods-america-banned-other-countries-135100604.html

I found this article to be rather insightful and a bit unsettling. We KNOW, in the back of our minds, that processed foods are not good for us. Yet somehow we still find a way to convince ourselves that it's okay. The lower calorie packs are easy and convenient, and boy do we love easy and convenient.

I have to say that I've eaten non-processed foods as much as possible for the last week... and have lost 6 lbs. O.O. I changed NOTHING else. That has got to speak VOLUMES. VOLUMES!

I know a good majority of people here agree that processed foods should be kicked to the curb, but I know a lot of people also try to use that processed food in order to lose weight. I mean, coal tar, plastic, bleach, petroleum... how are these things okay? How have they made their way into our food??

Alright, discuss my friends. Do you eat processed foods or avoid it like the plague? Trying to switch over? Or do you simply... not care?

Also read this, which addresses the nonsense of the yahoo article

http://pipeline.corante.com/archives/2013/06/21/eight_toxic_foods_a_little_chemical_education.php
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    I mean, coal tar, plastic, bleach, petroleum...

Nom nom nom nommmmm
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    I'm kinda in the not care realm... but just because I don't really care doesn't mean I don't try to stay away from the stuff... but it's for totally different reasons that whether or not the stuff is banned in other countries... but because it's full of salt and sugar and it's just not very nutrious or satisfying (after the dopamine fix from the junk food).
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Our regulatory framework may be a bit too lax in some cases, but it is also a fallacy to assume that every chemical is dangerous just because it is a chemical.
  • SMarie10
    SMarie10 Posts: 953 Member
    Options
    Bump to read the article later
  • GurleyGirl524
    GurleyGirl524 Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    I try to avoid them as much as possible, but in this fast paced day it's just not always possible. If I do have them I try to limit myself to 1 serving or less. But when someone like me whose day starts at 4:30 a.m. then works full time, cares for a sick husband, a teenager, and a special needs child and your day does not end until 11:00 p.m.. Oh, and the special needs child has a sleeping disorder and if I get to sleep in my own bed past 1:00 a.m. it's a miracle; well those convenience foods are just that. Convenient. I'm not saying they are healthy but like anything else, I take it in moderation
  • Aleta7
    Aleta7 Posts: 92
    Options
    When ever possible I eat food made from scratch. Try to avoid GMO Food also. But, sometimes I do get an urge for processed. :happy:
  • Mr_Bad_Example
    Mr_Bad_Example Posts: 2,403 Member
    Options
    This 'article' you speak of...

thumbsdown.gif?w=460
  • VorJoshigan
    VorJoshigan Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    I avoid processed foods mostly, but this article is a buncha hysterical BS. If people want to avoid processed foods, that's great - Whole Foods promises that their organic foods contain zero GMOs - good for them. I don't think the government should force people to not eat these foods though. It's not like people are dying in the streets.
  • HardcoreP0rk
    HardcoreP0rk Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    I just had to reply with this link I found, posted at a chemistry blog, which addresses the extreme exaggerations made by the writers of the book referenced by this article.

http://pipeline.corante.com/archives/2013/06/21/eight_toxic_foods_a_little_chemical_education.php

C'mon folks, at least think about what people are presenting to you, please!

agreed...I subject most things to the Snopes test
  • GetSoda
    GetSoda Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    > no links to research studies showing the chemicals in the amounts they appear in food are harmful in any way.
  • wolverine66
    wolverine66 Posts: 3,780 Member
    Options
    I just had to reply with this link I found, posted at a chemistry blog, which addresses the extreme exaggerations made by the writers of the book referenced by this article.

thank you.
  • reese66
    reese66 Posts: 2,920 Member
    Options
    Bump For Later
  • xinit0
    xinit0 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    Meggles, that is exactly what I think when people try and tell me this stuff is safe to consume in the amounts we're eating them. Real food is best.

Define "real food" - does that include food items that are natural, but poisonous until cooked, or processed in some way?
  • xinit0
    Options
    Also remember... Europe has recently had some pretty loose rules around what's considered "beef" in food products... It's not some blissful food utopia.
  • xinit0
    Options
    Our regulatory framework may be a bit too lax in some cases, but it is also a fallacy to assume that every chemical is dangerous just because it is a chemical.

Especially when you consider that EVERYTHING is a chemical. Yes, even that organic non-GMO baby carrot that you watered with your tears...
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,999 Member
    Options
    You said, "discuss."

Therefore, philosophically, I cannot.

I'm sorry. It's a belief I hold.
  • NiBo1689
    NiBo1689 Posts: 20
    Options
    The part about mac and cheese upsets me, but I honestly don't know if I can give it up. Maybe I will use the noodles and skip the powder. haha
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    Only read OP, so not sure if this has been stated, but this should help with the nonsense

Oh and

tinhatchick_zps6dbad15b.jpg