I'm tired of failing!

Options
I'm new. Obviously...or I wouldn't be on the introduce yourself page. I'm tired of gaining weight and decided if I don't do something TODAY, I'm going to regret it tomorrow when I step on that scale. I have gained about 20 pounds since January. I am headed to the doc to make sure it's not health related. But....judging by my eating habits, it is PURELY eating habits. :( I am getting depressed with the try/fail/try/fail part. Now, don't get me wrong...I DO succeed while I'm watching what I eat. Only, I give up after a few weeks or months and then gain back everything and then some! My spare tire is now an RV and I can't fit into any clothes. I'm miserable. Physically and mentally. Any motivation is appreciated. I'm looking forward to see the little "ticker" say "pounds lost" !! I'm 7 hours in and so far so good. :D Here's to good health!...or, in my case...the ability to bend over and tie my shoes without holding my breath!

Replies

• familyizzy
    familyizzy Posts: 26
    Options
    This sounds so familiar. I just started today too. I'm in the same boat. Lets be positive and do it!
  • wannabesexymama
    wannabesexymama Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    Gain you Lots of friends on here find people in all ranges of there loss journey and add them hun I love to add those who have already changed there life for the better and adding them! Also think of this as a Lifestyle change not just a diet because diets dont last but working out of bad habits in to good ones can last kinda like people who quit smoking or drinking just your drug of choose is food. I have the same problem I love to eat! I have sent you a request and there are many on my friends list that are active and ready to face the day and remember every day is an up and down on the down days just remember tomorrow is another new day with better chooses!

Your Friend~
    Mary
  • Simsruleok
    Options
    Well done for taking the first step on your journey ,it is possible ,slow but sure wins the race
  • crazyvermont
    crazyvermont Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I'm no expert but a couple of suggestions are:
    1)Begin with the end in mind ie your goal for better health, looking sexy for your husband etc.
    2)Break your journey down into manageable increments, which initially may be just 5-10 pounds, then celebrate your success.
    3)For me, eliminating any food groups(other than soda)just didn't work. I keep my intake around 1600 calories per day for six days a week and have a free day where I consume between 4-5000 calories. Lost 50 plus pounds last six months of 2012 and gave my body a rest until a few weeks ago and repeating process.
    4)Get active doing something you enjoy, whether walking, in the pool etc. Enjoyment will keep you doing it

Best of luck in your journey and feel free to add me if you wish
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,051 Member
    Options
    If you are tired of failing, then stop quitting.

Simples.
  • cseckinger1
    Options
    I'm re-starting today too! Good luck to you.
  • laurelicro
    Options
    Hello. I only joined yesterday and am finding my feet.I think we should all be very proud of ourselves for starting this. we will do so well and even if you trip, you can get back up and continue on. weight loss is so difficult, i find it v hard even though I try so much but im not giving up hope. i want to lose a stone.well done everyone
  • GFielding_56
    GFielding_56 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    It's just been said above me - well done in taking the first step. When I took that step myself I also bought a Fitbit one which is basically a fancy pedometer which counts your steps, monitors stairs climbed and monitors how restless (or not) you are when sleeping.

I'd highly recommend it, it certainly motivates me to get up and get around more than i did before in an effort to get my 10000 steps in a day. The good new it also syncs with MFP and will give you an allowance to your daily totals. Since December I've lost over 12.7kg or 2 stones using Fitbit and MFP

Start firing off friend requests and then you'll be getting loads of encouragement s fired right back! If you need your backside kicked to get up someone will do it but they will also be the first to say "well done!"

So good for you Let's go rock the world!
  • punky_girl
    Options
    I know exactly how you feel. Im determined that this time I wont quit :) you can do it.
  • amhuff2009
    amhuff2009 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    TRY not looking at it as having to loose this weight and keep it off, but to look at it as needing to change your LIFESTYLE, make small changes that you can LIVE with, Like previous poster mentioned I can not eliminate any food groups other then the soda from my eating, because it will cause me to binge or completely go off track of my goals, dinners out with families will happen, holidays birthday parties, anniversaries, special occasions will always happen. I have been on my journey for about 17 months now I have lost 84 pounds so far and only have 15 left to go to reach the goal I have set myself up to reach and then i know the hardest part of my journey will begin, I will have to learn how to live with maintaining my new changes. Don't look at it like FAILURE when you go off track, its life and you just get back up on the horse the next day the next meal no matter how long it takes you, I have some losses , some small some larger, I have had a bunch of maintaining scale not moving, and even some big and small GAINS, but guess hat I am headed in the right direction and from being in a very SNUG size 20 to a loose size 12 is worth every ups and downs I have faced and will continue to face. KEEP YOUR HEAD UP you can do it, one day at a time.:smile:
  • smoofinator
    smoofinator Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    Here's something that keeps me going even when I think about the long road ahead: There's no point fretting over the amount of time between you and your goal because the time is going to pass no matter what you do.

I know it's kind of a weird way of looking at it but it clicked with me; don't worry about how long it's going to take because that time will pass whether you like it or not.
  • Lorkilee
    Lorkilee Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I've been on MFP for a couple of weeks, and I can honestly say that this is a great place to start. It keeps you honest, and I am really impressed that it already has so many common foods in its system. The support and community on this site are also empowering, and it is great to read others' stories for motivation. I wish you success and happiness on your commitment.
  • MichelleMac58
    MichelleMac58 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Welcome to mfp.....you have to want to change and it sounds like you're ready! I'm great at support and encouragement if you need me...just add me and I'll keep an eye to you and hopefully you'll do the same to me.:smile:
  • LexiAtel
    LexiAtel Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I originally started with having to lose 72 pounds, so we're in the same loss group :) Hello! And welcome to the first day of your new life!

Many people will start the whole "this isn't a diet, it's a life change." Get prepared for that... I still consider it a diet until I lose the weight, only the diet is just a jump start to a life change.

Anyway, last month I started my diet on May 12th. This was after my birthday in which I ate nearly 2 lbs of steak, and half a very yummy pie. So, I had some catching up to do just with that alone. On the 17th, I weighed myself, 187lb. I weighed myself when I wanted, but I wouldn't stick with the number until June 17th.

So last Monday, I lost 5lbs in a month. Not bad. I wasn't behaving appropriately. I didn't exercise but 4 days out of the whole month, and I had plenty of fast /junk food moments. To ease the pain a little, I will admit, I was able to train myself to eating better proportions, and even more healthier foods (even if I was eating badly too). I also found out I was eating WAY TOO LITTLE PROTEIN. As soon as I increased it to a proper amount, I was able to eat a WHOLE lot better. Like NO junk food! :)

This month, I am working exercising more, and eating LESS bad foods, so far this week, I haven't had anything bad, although I do have some candy in the freezer, along with a doughnut, that's been there for a while. So it's there if I "need" it, and to be honest, I have been wanting a cookie, just because "I deserve it" not because I crave it. So I might cave in pretty soon just to reward myself.

Check out my food blog for ideas, and add me as a friend if you would like.

EDIT: Oh yeah! I lost 3 lbs since last Monday (17th), but I lifted weights 2x last week, and I walked (fast) for 150 mins total, so I am working my rump (literally) off :)
  • Hot_Socc3rMama66
    Options
    The great thing is that you have done one of the most important things and that is taking the first step. Tackling being able to eat healthy and not just starving yourself but actually changing your lifestyle will be a huge accomplishement. This website can serve as a tool to help you with this. Talking to people who understand what your going through is what is really best about this site. Gonna send you a request and we can get moving :-)

- Alexis
  • adriennepaolini
    Options
    Here is something I learned .. sounds stupid but denying yourself all those sweet little treats for the rest of your life probably isn't going to work very well. small treats a small slice of cake (take what you would normally eat and cut it in half to start with then make it even smaller). Keep on trying that is what is really important we aren't going to have perfect days everyday we are human.
  • paynebearclan
    paynebearclan Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I looooove the idea of a free day! Today I started with a little over 1500 cals. When I keep track...and actually see how many calories I consume...I am flabbergasted! CRAZINESS! Thank you! I think I am going to keep one free day a week as well.
  • karebearandken
    karebearandken Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Sounds like me a few months ago! I went to the doctor for my yearly physical and was told I needed to watch my sugar intake...and 32 pounds later, I'm still going strong! I would love to be your friend and help you out!! Add me if you would like and...GOOD LUCK!!!!
  • tessi1993
    tessi1993 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    i re started fresh monday!
    my phone wall papaer is a bunch of fitness insperation quotes, and there also now hung on my wall. so when i turn off my alarm its all i see! has worked so far.. in so much pain today tho!
  • maddymartinec
    Options
    Welcome! Add me if you want!