Any Gamers out there on a journey?

Options
Hi there! My name is Amanda. I actually took a break from this for far too long. I am apart of this group on Facebook called Plus Sized Mommas. Anyway, we had all decided to post pictures of ourselves and "guess my weight". I am actually 220, but was told I looked 250 by one person. And it hit me hard! They meant absolutely NO HARM! But, inside, I was crying. The fact is, my heaviest was 265 while pregnant with my now 19 month old son. I have come a small distance since then, but I'm still looking to become much healthier. On the side, my husband and I are full time gamers (usually at night when the baby is asleep)! Working out has been a battle, eating good is easy, staying positive...? That's something that I have an extremely hard time doing. When I was pregnant I was diagnosed with Hypertension. Before I had even married my husband many years ago, I was stressing and always depressed OVER NOTHING! The weight gain began. But TODAY, and everyday from here on out, I'm doing my best to relax. I need to just... relax and learn to not stress over NOTHING! Anyway... I am looking for some support on my journey to a happier, healthier me. And I'm also looking to help support anyone else in need. Any gamers, anime lovers, or just regular people! Just know, you'll have support from me no matter what! :) LET'S DO THIS!

Replies

• aquarabbit
    aquarabbit Posts: 1,622 Member
    Options
    Husband and I (no kids) are both gamers. Mostly on Steam. I have my inspirational pictures taped all around my computer to remind me to workout. It helps!
  • Lone_Wolf70
    Lone_Wolf70 Posts: 2,820 Member
    Options
    I play checkers and have every album by Journey. Even the one with the Filipino dude.
  • TheWoWmom
    TheWoWmom Posts: 7
    Options
    Oh, thank God! I do the same, actually! Hahah! It's almost obsessive how often I'm watching videos on Youtube, or looking through my old pictures! It's inspiring, but saddening all at once. It's not until I started seeing results that it got a little easier. :)
  • braciatrice
    Options
    I play WoW, Ragnarok Online, RPG and LARP. Feel free to add me. This is a game like anything else...just have to know your stats and feats, and you gain xp when you do live-fire's. When you lose weight, you level! :-)
  • FromHereOnOut
    FromHereOnOut Posts: 3,237 Member
    Options
    Welcome! I'm not a gamer, but have come across some resources that are perfect for you with a gaming mindset. First, search the MFP groups for keyword "challenge". There are some great challenges that help to make fitness & healthy lifestyle like a fun game. You might also check out the Zombies, Run! app. Also checkout nerdfitness.com (motto: level up your life) and fitocracy.com (turns fitness into a game), they are by & for gamers.

:smile:
  • EvilDollee
    EvilDollee Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    <==Right here.
  • hopscotchery
    hopscotchery Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hey! Congrats on trying to get healthy! It looks like you are on the right track to success!

I am an avid Guild Wars 2 player and the people who have motivated me the most to get fit are my gamer friends! I recently bought a Fitbit and I find myself walking 5-10 miles a day and keeping track of what I eat so I can be healthy in the long run. It's only been 2 weeks since I started doing it seriously but I already feel a big change by just walking more and eating better.

80% of my Fitbit friends are gamers as well, so since we are all like-minded we really push each other, even if its motivation on our step-count Leaderboard or the occasional taunt. : )

My trick? I'm not allowed to log into MMO-world until I have hit 10,000 steps for the day, no exceptions whatsoever. It really motivates me to plan exercise throughout the day if I know I have a guild event later I need to be there for, even if it means walking to and from work or going for one on my lunch break. I know if I didn't put that kind of restriction on myself I would just completely forget about my exercise goal.
  • Kristy7418
    Kristy7418 Posts: 85
    Options
    <~~~~ gamer though play free Kabam games right now it's Wartunes
  • TheWoWmom
    Options
    I absolutely LOVED guild wars 2! Rangers for life!!! :)
  • RaggedyPond
    RaggedyPond Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    Gamer here when I have time. I have a level 80 Death Knight that I'm not playing.
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    This is a game like anything else...just have to know your stats and feats, and you gain xp when you do live-fire's. When you lose weight, you level! :-)

This is accurate. I switched to full time life gaming and it worked out great.
  • soxx226
    soxx226 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Yea I'm a gamer!
  • littlelfmage
    Options
    I love mmo's Runescape, Aria Games (The magic or anime ones) W101, and play-by-post on my favorite forums. I'll send you a friend request! :D
  • caffeinekandie
    Options
    Gamer here too (video, and now a newly nerded board game enthusiast)! I now don't let myself play any games if I intended to exercise that day until I've exercised. It motivates me and I feel less like someone who is only sitting on the couch.
  • Lemongiggles
    Lemongiggles Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I’m a gamer! I actually found it a great incentive to work out harder. I will not play any sort of game until I complete my work out! I am addicted to body rock tv, and the workouts are only 12 minutes, so there is no excuse not to do it!
  • Zjohnson11
    Zjohnson11 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Nice to meet you. I'm a huge gamer and I just joined MFP last week. I have tried every diet you can think of and nothing ever worked for me. I am finally serious about getting healthy! I have already lost 8 pounds and I feel much more energetic already. I have a long journey ahead of me but I am ready to meet it head on.
  • TheWoWmom
    Options
    So happy to have the support of other gamers out there on the same Journey! If only this weight loss could be as easy as time travel like Link would do in Ocarina Of Time! Would love to easily go back to 2009, and slap myself in the face before I became so down! Lol :) Thanks everyone! The support is insanely loved.
  • Runninglibrarian13
    Runninglibrarian13 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Another gamer girl here. (World of Warcraft mostly)

One of my "tricks" which isn't really so much a trick, I guess... I don't allow myself onto the game unless I've exercised. (Exception being a rest day..heheh)