P90x...beginners...even if your really out of shape?

Options
I've been seeing and hearing a lot of success with P90x. I haven't looked into all the way, or tried it yet. What I'm worried about is if you can even do the work outs if your really out of shape? (I'm talking like can't do ONE pull up/push up...that out of shape).

Also, which ones the best to go with? and do you need to buy anything besides the DVDs?

Replies

• johnphays
    Options
    There is a basic fitness test to show if you're ready for it, and since all the programs have a 30 day money back guarantee, you can always try it out and then swap it out for something else that might be your speed if you can't handle it.

Also keep in mind they show you modified moves for everything. Tony Horton designed it originally for athletes to push them to the next level, but Beachbody found that starters are doing it, pushing themselves, and seeing results.

That being said, there are a few things I would NEVER recommend you try P90X without, and that's Recovery Formula and Shakeology. Recovery formula heals your muscles by refueling your amino acids and electrolytes, so you don't feel SO wrecked afterwards, and Shakeology is P90X for your insides, it's amazing, the healthiest calories you'll put in your body.

If you want to know even more, feel free to email me: jimmyolsen@yahoo.com :)
  • Ryhenblue
    Ryhenblue Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    If you modify it then you'll be able to do it. I have Insanity and I'm no where near the shape I need to be to do all the exercises. Just take breaks when you need to catch your breath. If the jumping is hard just march in place, step side to side, and do normal squats. You can always do modified push ups as well. Just try and work your way up to being active during the whole work out then work on doing all the moves.
  • beautifulnow
    Options
    girly I am 190 and I do it and it is not that hard to do...I was really sore at first but after a week it was easier...there are a few things I can't do...but there are modifications and I have lost 17 inches and 13 pounds in a month. I am a mom and I am a normal fat girl lol and I really love it! let me know if you need and help or have any questions!!
  • eriny
    eriny Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    well that was me fat guy here could do like 5 pushups shaking no pullups belly name it i had it
  • NeuroticVirgo
    NeuroticVirgo Posts: 3,671 Member
    Options
    I'm glad to see some responses. Its hard to gauge when you see people who look "mostly" in good shape post before and after...in my head I was think...ok let me add about 100lbs to your before picture and see how easy it would have been lol.
  • eriny
    Options
    and pics to prove it
    but that being said the i just started p90x in july i believe it works as its as great as you push it
    but i started out here mfp making a lifestyle change calories and learning types of food to eat # 1 have to change how you eat
  • InsanityMan84
    Options
    its all about 'doing ur best and forgetting the rest' as they say in the workouts. as u get better, u push harder and harder. it shouldn't be 'easy' because if it is, ur not pushing hard enough. but when u start, the first week or two, u dont wanna push too hard cuz there is high probability that u'll be sore. it's worth it though. and don't believe that guy... u dont NEED either shakeology or the recovery formula... they just help. he's trying to sell them to u lol trust me
  • eriny
    Options
    well not 100 hundred over but fat enough here pics on profile douple chin and all :happy:
    I'm glad to see some responses. Its hard to gauge when you see people who look "mostly" in good shape post before and after...in my head I was think...ok let me add about 100lbs to your before picture and see how easy it would have been lol.
  • NeuroticVirgo
    NeuroticVirgo Posts: 3,671 Member
    Options
    Well, I tried the the fit test (amazing what you can find on youtube) with my husband....and we both failed. haha But not by a lot, so that was encouraging. So we're going to try and work on it, and then try the fit test again in 2 weeks.

I have figured out that I have absolutely no upper body strength what so ever, so I will need to figure out what to do about that.

Thanks for the good words everyone. :)
  • johnphays
    Options
    There are some great programs you can use that are pretty cheap and great intro programs, like Power 90, Slim in 6, Turbo Jam, etc...
  • eriny
    Options
    ok stretch then plyometrics
  • eriny
    Options
    ok well that didnt go to well :cry: 45 min done but done !!! now of to work my thumbs on some zombie :devil: then mayyyybe arx aka 15 min of hell :love:
  • jenniferyeatts
    jenniferyeatts Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    You don't have to start with P90X. I was about 20 pounds overweight, and not in shape and started with Power 90. i didn't want to stress myself out with starting with P90X, and having to exercise for an hour a day, and give up. I did the 90 days of Power 90 (finished in July), lost 25 pounds, REALLY shaped up, and raised my endurance. Now, I'm doing P90 Master Series, and increasing the time and intensity of my workouts, and building up to P90X.
    Power 90 works as a beginner program! My friends and coworkers have seen the results on me, started questioning what I was doing, and now I have at least 10 people I know doing it! I really should sell it!
  • 2LUVME
    Options
    YOU can do it! I'm 250...and my behind and extra tummies get in the way..lol! but I keep trying. You have to buy weights like 7pds and a workout map, other than that thats all you need.
  • TonyaJ83
    Options
    You CAN do it. Some exercises you may only be able to do one or two at first. The next week 2 or 3, the next week 3 or 4, etc. But after a while, you'll be AMAZED at what you can do! You just have to practice, give it your best and stick with it! Anyone can do it. You just may have to modify things here and there.......