Buying a barbell

Options
I have some weights which came with dumbells. They are cheap vinyl things, nothing special, and have a total weight of around 35kg. I am a (nearly) 50 year old woman, around 5'2", 60kg. I just want to lose weight and tone up, so I won't be doing anything heroic. I would just like to add a barbell to increase the variety in my lifting. This is the question....

What length barbell do I need? They seem to come in a variety of lengths starting at 5 foot. I don't have a rack type thing to put this on. I'm just wondering if I need a longer one, say 6 foot, because my weights are cheap bulky things.

The cost difference is not a big issue, it's just a question of comfort and not wanting to trip over the thing when it's lying around.

Thank you in advance for any helpful answers :-)
Jane

Replies

• tikkathyme
    tikkathyme Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Bump for answers, I'm looking into buying a barbell as well and need some guidance.
  • JaneUK
    JaneUK Posts: 102
    Options
    Anyone...? Please help us!
  • sgwhit
    sgwhit Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • viajera99
    viajera99 Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    First, check the diameter of the hole of your weights. A "standard" bar will have a 1" diameter and an olympic bar will have a 2" diameter. Buy accordingly. Obviously the longer the bar, the more it will weigh. I use a 7' oly bar for most lifts, which weighs 45 lbs, without any problem and I'm 5'1". The exception is overhead press, where I use a 6', 25 lb bar.

All things being equal, I'd go for the 7' oly if your weights are 2" holes.