Just say no

Options
Lately I've been having a hard time saying no to family/friends when I'm offered unhealthy snacks. They know I'm trying to eat better but sometimes they push it and make me feel like I'm missing out. I know its all a matter of staying focused on your goal, but I'd like to hear some advice on what to say or how avoid a junk food relapse when said situation presents itself. :smile:

Replies

• prettigirl01
    prettigirl01 Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    u don't always have to say no. if u want something have it just don't have alot of it and don't have it often. I still eat my favorite things. it would be crazy to cut out every single thing that was bad that u liked.
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    I don't really have any advice, but I do know that it seems to get easier to make smart choices with time. My boyfriend works nights and would always text me and ask if I want some Taco Bell on his way home. I LOVE Taco Bell...so it was really hard to turn down! Now it's easy, and he rarely even asks anymore. If you say no enough times, people seem to get it.

Sometimes when I do say no, it helps to think that I can get it tomorrow for lunch instead of eating it at 2AM right now.
  • TheVeganFrenchie
    Options
    I feel the same way when I'm offered non-vegan food. I feel ill-at-ease 'cause I don't want to offense them or make them feel uncomfortable so I say I'm not hungry, or I look for healthy (and vegan, in my case) alternatives :)
    You don't HAVE TO say yes, the most important thing is knowing what's best for you: if you know this donut isn't a good idea, go for a fruit or a sugar-free cookie! Having some healthy snacks in your bag will certainly help you to say no :)

Hope this will help you!
  • Eveys89
    Eveys89 Posts: 15
    Options
    True, I guess its just a matter of not overdoing it, which i tend to do :ohwell:

Thanks everyone, glad to hear I'm not alone in my struggles :wink:
  • Eveys89
    Eveys89 Posts: 15
    Options
    I don't really have any advice, but I do know that it seems to get easier to make smart choices with time. My boyfriend works nights and would always text me and ask if I want some Taco Bell on his way home. I LOVE Taco Bell...so it was really hard to turn down! Now it's easy, and he rarely even asks anymore. If you say no enough times, people seem to get it.

Sometimes when I do say no, it helps to think that I can get it tomorrow for lunch instead of eating it at 2AM right now.

I love breakfast, so sometimes when I'm hungry late at night, I just think about the delicious breakfast I plan on eating come morning ;)
  • Zombella
    Zombella Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    I don't like when people don't respect my decisions, even if it is regarding food choices. If they won't give up, just throw it out. I know it may sound mean but if you tell them no and they keep pushing, that, other than giving it to someone else, is a way to show them that you are serious and so you don't end up eating something you'll regret.
  • anatolian9
    anatolian9 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    everyone goes through this. you just have to control your environment, be strong, and don't break your promise to yourself.
  • xxghost
    xxghost Posts: 4,697 Member
    Options
    Yeah, that's really difficult. My grandparents, for instance, seem to keep forgetting that I am on a diet. They bring delicious home-cooked meals to me all the time. As a starving, poor college student, I want nothing more than to eat it despite its thousands of calories. I normally accept the food, and eat it very slowly. That way, I can make it last a few days, and I'm not overdoing it.
  • Nicolee_2014
    Nicolee_2014 Posts: 1,572 Member
    Options
    Have a small piece of what ever it is instead of saying no?

I know how you feel though. I gave up a lunch date yesterday because I knew that at the moment I don't have it in me to stay away from temptation at the moment.
  • sm1zzle
    sm1zzle Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    The best way to say no is....to just say no. Do it up front right away so you don't give yourself time to ponder the alternative.
  • misscharleygirl
    misscharleygirl Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    It is rough. My mother-in-law gets very offended when I don't eat/drink what she offers. I try to eat a little bit of everything she offers, but the last time I tried bringing along some healthier alternatives. It was a little uncomfortable, to be honest, and she wouldn't touch anything I brought.

They were also very pushy about this tea-sweetener they'd just bought. I know they're just excited about it, but I looked and one serving had 70 calories - there was no way I was going to drink it. I ended up making a cup, taking a sip to appease them, then switching it with my husband's (un-sweetened) glass when they had left the kitchen.

A similar song-and-dance took place at dessert time, when the pie came out.
  • megsi474
    megsi474 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    I find yelling "NO MEANS NO- STRANGER DANGER!" in their faces gets the point across.