Going on vacation soon, any advice?

Options
I have been consistently losing weight and would like to keep it that way, but in about two weeks i am going to new york for a week and although i dont mind not loosing weight on the trip i really dont want to gain weight while on it. At the same time i want to be able to really enjoy my week and that includes eating some delicious maybe not so healthy food. Any advice?

Replies

• bubaluboo
    bubaluboo Posts: 2,098 Member
    Options
    I've been thinking about this as I'm going on a little holiday tomorrow and I think the best thing to do is plan in advance. If you know where you're going to be eating out, see if you can get menus and check calories beforehand. That way you can plan your 'treats' and enjoy them knowing what the damage (or not) is going to be. The worst thing is assuming you've had the healthiest thing on the menu and then finding that it was worse than what you would have had if you were not calorie counting! Also try to eat a couple of meals a day as 'normal' - say breakfast and lunch so that you're not going over on everything. I'm hoping that works for me :)

ETA: Maybe if since you're going to NY, get from A to B by walking as much as possible and burn as many calories as you can. Use the hotel sport facilities if they're available too.
  • 130annie
    130annie Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Just have a good time....Keep away from the fries...And the portions are huge, so watch that! Are you an xWW?...The way you've set it out looks familiar......
  • laineybz
    laineybz Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    I went to NYC for New Years and i didn't really watch what i ate. I've been to NYC before so knew i'd do alot of walking and considering i didn't weigh myself over the two weeks of Christmas and New Year, i put on maybe 1lb which i was over the moon with. Walk alot and enjoy your holiday!
  • LavenderBouquet
    LavenderBouquet Posts: 736 Member
    Options
    I would say enjoy your holiday, but don't gorge yourself, I've definitely done that before. Also keep in mind that if you're eating out, even healthier choices, there will likely be a lot of sodium, which will cause bloating and water gain, so if you come back and have gained a couple pounds, don't worry so much! Have fun :flowerforyou:
  • Faye_Anderson
    Faye_Anderson Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    Enjoy your holiday and try to stay below maintenance. Although it wouldn't really hurt to just do the enjoy your holiday part :flowerforyou:
  • Sabrinalise
    Options
    Bring a jump rope and eat your veggies and fruits before the carbs! Have fun.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Go have fun...to gain even 1 Lb of fat you would have to over consume your maintenance calories by 3500 for the week. That's 500 per day. For me, that would mean I would have to consume 3200 calories every single day...doable...yes, most definitely...but it would just be one Lb.

Also, you'll likely be doing a lot of walking.
  • Daphne1994
    Daphne1994 Posts: 32
    Options
    If by xww you mean ex weight watchers, then no :P
  • Daphne1994
    Daphne1994 Posts: 32
    Options
    great advice guys thank you :D
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    Set yourself to maintenance calories and log all your walking That jump alone will probably be a good bit more than you are used to, so you'll feel like you are splurging when you are not. If you can, try to limit your real splurges to one meal each day -- and track it all -- good, bad, ugly. I've gone on, oh, 15 or so vacations since I started losing weight. Some I gain, some I lose, so I stay the same. For me, for what I am doing to actually be a lifestyle, I actually have to live. You'll be just fine, just enjoy yourself.
  • yogaga1
    yogaga1 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I just got home on Thursday from traveling for the last 3 weeks and anything I put on is gone as of this morning. Heck, I look better today than I did when I left! :)

The first trip was to care for my father who recently had a heart attack. Most of the time was spent in a hospital existing on nasty MSG filled cafeteria food. It shocks me what hospitals feed heart patients btw- but that's an entirely different thread! I spent my evenings pacing the halls just to get moving while my dad slept. Once dad was home, I spent the afternoons swimming in my parents pool and cooking nutritious meals for them. No gain! In fact, I saw a small loss on that trip.

The second trip was an anniversary/birthday trip with my husband to Mexico to an all-inclusive. THIS is what I was scared about! I certainly packed on bloat- but like I said, it's all gone as of this morning. I ate a reasonable breakfast and lunch and then went to town on dinner, dessert and a few evening blender cocktails. I'm not typically a drinker and I'm pretty nutso about counting macros and eating clean and all that jazz. So, to say I INDULGED...that's an under statement! However, I worked out every day in my hotel room right when I woke up, walked everywhere I could, swam, ran on the beach during sunrise a few times, just generally stayed active.

You don't get vacations often- enjoy them! It was really freeing not being able to use my app to track calories for a week in Mexico and just eyeball it! I was very nervous before I left that I was going to come back 5lbs up that would take forever to come off- but I'm still rocking my skinny jeans. You can't do much damage in a week. So, relax and go enjoy NYC!
  • GeminiBridget
    GeminiBridget Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    When we go on vacation I always choose a hotel/resort that has a gym that way I can still get in a workout! Also, just be mindful of your choices of food when eating out. Of course allow yourself a cheat or two but don't do it every day. It is possible to eat 'clean' even when on vacay! :)
  • wink77
    wink77 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I travel for my job, so, I get to experience this a couple of weeks out of the month. I take ready made protein drinks and have them for breakfast every day. Low calorie and 30 grams of protein. You can buy them lots of different places, I get mine at Sam's; they actually taste good. I take what I eat for lunch, you know those little tuna kits that have the mayo and pickle packets? That's what I eat. And I have greek yogurt for a morning snack and string cheese in the afternoon. Then I only have to eat out one meal a day and I just make the best decision I can. I am a weight loss surgery patient, so, I eat mostly protein; but, as long as you have a fridge, you can take your food with you or buy once you get to your destination. And, I drink LOTS of water.

Enjoy your trip!
  • jen_zz
    jen_zz Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    Walk everywhere! And allow yourself to sample taste anything you like but just make sure you don't go crazy on the portion and really taste the food bite by bite.
  • awie11
    awie11 Posts: 44
    Options
    My suggestion is to continue to count your calories, but don't worry about the nutrition of the food your eating just think I really want this. It fits into my calories, I'm going to have it. And if you do go over one day, two days, or even all of the days don't beat yourself up. Honestly the most you could gain is like 2 pounds which is pretty easily fixed.
  • Hexahedra
    Hexahedra Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    Just have fun and not worry about calories. You'll probably gain a pound or two, but since you're already on the right track, you'll quickly lose it when you get home.
  • lyndausvi
    lyndausvi Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Ugh. We leave on Saturday night for a week. My DH's idea of vacation is to eat your way through all the cities and he is far from a healthy food eater. In addition to that we are doing a lot of driving. 2 days in one city, 1 day in another and then 4 days in the last. Add in family obligations, I'm sort of stressing the lack of exercise opportunities more than the food. I feel confident i will watch my portion sizes and mostly pick healthier choice (except in Philly, I will have a cheesesteak). i have decided to pack healthy snacks so i will have easy access to them.
  • ddhdml
    ddhdml Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Walk, walk, walk and then walk some more! I just came back from vacay at the beach. I actually lost 3 pounds. And i ate ice cream and even shared a funnel cake. I just made sure to track it. Also, lot's ofboogie boarding to keep cals incheck