Insanity, P90X, Turbofire, 30Day Shred OH MY!

Options
I have more weight to lose before I wish to venture to any of these programs but after researching them all I haven't gotten any farther in making a choice at which I will be saving for. Insanity, P90X, and TurboFire are all VERY expensive and I don't know if the 30DS will push me to where I want to be.

I really want to build muscle and up my stamina. I have been lifting 3 days per week with at home weights and making my own little home gym. However I have read that Insanity, P90X, and TurboFire are horrible on the joints and make you more prone to injuries.

I've heard TurboFire is more fit for females but not exactly sure how since it looks just like the others. I've heard horrible things about all these programs and equally amazing things. Shaun T (I think thats his name) is one I do hear the most but sometimes that doesn't mean anything.

So whats your poison and why? What helps burn more fat yet keeps the muscle building as well? Or should I just keep to the 30 Day Shred and add more weights?

Any help on this would be amazing!

Replies

• Becky_Smith72
    Becky_Smith72 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I obviously can't speak for everyone because I think alot of these workouts depend on your body.. but as a Beach Body coach, I've done Insanity (4 30 day cycles), p90x, and Turbofire.. Turbofire was hard for me, and I'm fit, because I'm not coordinated to keep up with the moves haha. Insanity was great for me despite a slightly bad knee and a chronic pain disorder. Yes, there are times I had to stop and shake it out or days that I went slower than I'd like, but I did it.. p90x is more about building and really isn't something I'd recommend for weight LOSS because there isn't a lot of cardio.. unless of course you're pairing it with running or cardio. What I can recommend if you're newer to videos is Brazil Butt Lift, it was my starter video and I lost about 20lbs in 2 months with it. It's fun and has cardio, weights, lower body etc and is pretty easy on the joints. Overall, try a little here and there and know no matter what you're going to feel it a bit but you can do it. For me, I'm an Insanity person. As I said I've done 4 30 day cycles, I have my shirt, I've done 30 days of Insanity Asylum and will be starting T25 next week- Shaun T's new 25 min workout. If you're interested in talking about other workout options feel free to email me and I'd be happy to send you a link to my site to check them out. Best of luck to you! :)
  • demarii06
    demarii06 Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    I started 30 day shred at 285 lbs so don't let that stop you
  • PepperWorm
    PepperWorm Posts: 1,206
    Options
    If only there was a magical place where you can share files with others via the Internet with exactly the programs you're looking for.

That would be pretty rad.
  • gretchygirl32
    gretchygirl32 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I can't comment personally on these because I only did a few days of P90X (did lose 7 lbs that week after being on a plateau though - just didn't make time for it) and only a couple days of 30 Day Shred. However, my husband is starting is 6th week of Insanity, and he is pretty pleased with the results he's getting. I'm already looking into getting him Asylum as a congratulatory present. I can say personally that I was walking while trying to lose weight, and I wasn't really losing. As soon as I added in the 10 pound weight exercises, I did start to see more progress. Anything with weights or that requires push-ups, etc. is going to make you FEEL better because you'll feel those results pretty quickly, even if they aren't obvious in the mirror for awhile. Plus, the toning seems to help move the fat faster in my case. 30 Day Shred is probably great for that, and I was also wondering about the butt lift one. I'm glad you asked this question! Good luck! :-)
  • determinedbutlazy
    determinedbutlazy Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    In my experience, 30DS was good to teach me basic bodyweight exercises and good form, as well as being a pretty good cardio workout (maintained a pretty high heart rate throughout the 30 mins) and is nice and short so you can REALLY push yourself in terms of effort.
    I started 30DS at 230lbs and it was hard, but I didn't injure myself or anything.

I just finished p90x, and if you maintain good form and listen to Tony, you will not hurt yourself. You will be sore as FUH the next day but you shouldn't be actually injured.

I want to get into Insanity but I am intimidated by such a "pure" cardio workout... I don't know if I'll be able to do it!
  • Sushifish87
    Options
    I obviously can't speak for everyone because I think alot of these workouts depend on your body.. but as a Beach Body coach, I've done Insanity (4 30 day cycles), p90x, and Turbofire.. Turbofire was hard for me, and I'm fit, because I'm not coordinated to keep up with the moves haha. Insanity was great for me despite a slightly bad knee and a chronic pain disorder. Yes, there are times I had to stop and shake it out or days that I went slower than I'd like, but I did it.. p90x is more about building and really isn't something I'd recommend for weight LOSS because there isn't a lot of cardio.. unless of course you're pairing it with running or cardio. What I can recommend if you're newer to videos is Brazil Butt Lift, it was my starter video and I lost about 20lbs in 2 months with it. It's fun and has cardio, weights, lower body etc and is pretty easy on the joints. Overall, try a little here and there and know no matter what you're going to feel it a bit but you can do it. For me, I'm an Insanity person. As I said I've done 4 30 day cycles, I have my shirt, I've done 30 days of Insanity Asylum and will be starting T25 next week- Shaun T's new 25 min workout. If you're interested in talking about other workout options feel free to email me and I'd be happy to send you a link to my site to check them out. Best of luck to you! :)

I was wondering if I should just message you directly Becky :p I don't really want it for pure weight loss as I don't plan to start any of this till I lose more, it will be mainly for muscle building. I do plan to keep my cardio up on my own doing my elliptical, walks, and jogs. I just don't know what to build on top of it.

I've been doing workouts from NerdFitness.com and while they've challenged me I'm getting really bored with them. I think for now they're great since I'm mainly focused on weight loss vs muscle building but don't know where to move after them.

It is good to know that you can do insanity with a bad knee and pain disorder (I have a bad leg/hip and nerve damage in that leg) so thats a big plus to me. Its just they're expensive... so I would like to set aside money now so I can make sure we're ready when I'm ready (yes I'm a big planner and saver).
  • HisKathy
    HisKathy Posts: 34
    Options
    I've just started Turbofire (I'm on week 2) and I love it! I'm only moderately fit (used to run up to 9 miles a week before I got plantar faciitis and had to look for another workout) and I can keep up with it ok. It's a real challenge though but not in the "OMG, I can't do this!" but in the "Wow, what a great workout!" way. I used to dance so I can pick up the combos pretty quickly but if you can't there is a "new to class" option that will break things down slower for you. I've tried 30day shred before but I didn't like it. I found it too boring and Jillian kind of annoys me. With Turbofire I'm just dancing and I think Chalene is very motivating ("You're not tired!") and makes the class fun while still getting a great burn
  • Sushifish87
    Options
    I started 30 day shred at 285 lbs so don't let that stop you

Oh I wont let my weight stop me just I have 30DS and lvl 1 was beyond easy for me but lvl 2 was to hard. Since than I've lifted more weights and lost more so who knows now. Just if I get one of these things or go back to 30DS it will be mainly for toning and muscle building. I just also don't want to drop $150+ on something that is so hard it ends up not being used or I end up hurting myself with.

It seems like a lot of people are loving Insanity though, is it just cause its less jump around and more straight forward? What really sets it apart from the others?
  • vaeffingnessa
    Options
    Hi there. I am recently getting back into shape. Over the past few years I have tried the 30Day Shred, P90, and Insanity. For me, the P90 videos (somewhat easier than P90X) included moves that were way too difficult for me. I have no upper body strength and the 60-90 minute videos seemed like a lot of me trying to half *kitten* a work out. I loved the 30Day Shred and the Insanity feels like a more intense work out. Insanity videos are mostly about 50 minutes. Sean T is very encouraging and not as annoying as Tony in the P90 videos. He keeps me motivated throughout the workouts. I was able to get a copy of the videos from a friend; however, I would definitely pay for the series. Well worth their money. Last time I started the series, I went from a size 10 jeans to size 6 in just 2.5 weeks.
  • bobie1978
    bobie1978 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    You should try them and see what works best for you! I tried insanity and turbo fire and didn't like either. Find something that you like and stick with it :)
  • alexnguyen78665
    alexnguyen78665 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Insanity is cardio primarily. You really won't put on muscle with it. It's great for losing fat if you can handle the plyometrics. If you want to gain good weight and musculature, I'd actually suggest seeing a personal trainer who can see you in person for at least a couple of sessions and then recommend a weight lifting development plan with a corresponding diet. It's more expensive (along with the gym membership), but hey... I think it's the best way to go over plunking down money for a set of DVDs which don't come with the personalized advice.
  • lannasster
    lannasster Posts: 49
    Options
    I just finished P90X and I started Insanity today. However, I didn't follow the P90X calendar. I started out doing one workout a day, but I did more weight lifting than cardio (even though my goal was to lose weight.) After the first month, I had only lost 5 pounds, but I lost 4 inches in my waist. My muscles were more defined and I felt amazing, even though the scale hadn't moved much.

Whenever my semester ended, I amped up my workouts. I usually did cardio in the morning and weight training in the evening along with a couple of miles on the treadmill. I was burning around 1200-1800 calories a day when I did that. After 90 days, I had lost 17 pounds and 10% body fat. I didn't have the best diet ever because I have been traveling non-stop for the past month, so I'm sure my results are not as good as they could have been.

I haven't done Insanity since I played sports in high school (about 3 years ago,) but when I did Insanity then, I had so much more fun than with P90X and I lost tons of weight in a short amount of time.

Basically, you will most likely burn more calories doing Insanity because it's high intensity and keeps your heart rate higher than P90X, but you won't build a lot of muscle which is why I'm continuing the P90X weight training.
  • grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,154 Member
    Options
    I personally love Insanity, but it is not a bulking program. You'll get great endurance, nice fat burn and decent toning, but you won't build any serious bulk muscle. P90x is a much better program for building muscles than Insanity. I'm am not terribly familar with 30DS, but from what I've seen, it appear to be similar to Insanity in that it is primarily cardio and therefore fat burning, not bulking. The main reason people get injured during insanity is either pre-existing conditions or a lack of good form. In any exercise, good form is important to get the most out of your workout and prevent injuries. In high intensity workout like Insanity or lifting to failure, it is crucial. It's very easy to lose your form when you get tired, and you get very tired by the end of a good insanity or P90x workout, so you have to be careful. If done properly, however, they are perfectly safe.
  • Feebee4
    Feebee4 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Hi Have you looked at Chalean Extreme? all the reviews on it seem positive and it looks like it has some cardio in it too. (I'm going to do it after I've done TurboFire) I'm also saving up for FT25! Can't wait to read what everyone thinks about it & what results they get with it.
  • Karabobarra
    Karabobarra Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    In my experience, 30DS was good to teach me basic bodyweight exercises and good form, as well as being a pretty good cardio workout (maintained a pretty high heart rate throughout the 30 mins) and is nice and short so you can REALLY push yourself in terms of effort.
    I started 30DS at 230lbs and it was hard, but I didn't injure myself or anything.

I just finished p90x, and if you maintain good form and listen to Tony, you will not hurt yourself. You will be sore as FUH the next day but you shouldn't be actually injured.

I want to get into Insanity but I am intimidated by such a "pure" cardio workout... I don't know if I'll be able to do it!

this was a helpful response, thank you... I don't have anything to add ...I was just wondering about the different programs myself.
    OP... thank you for posting the question
  • RaggedyPond
    RaggedyPond Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    bump for later
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    it will be mainly for muscle building. I do plan to keep my cardio up on my own doing my elliptical, walks, and jogs. I just don't know what to build on top of it.

if you want to build muscle, you only need mimimal cardio, if any, and only P90X is a strength programme out of the ones you have listed. you would be better of with NROL4W or stronglifts.
  • underthecherrytree
    underthecherrytree Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    I did 30 day shred at 250 lbs. I lost 18 lbs and 2 pant sizes. I am not quite up to par to do Insanity quite yet (although I do own it). My goal is to do 30 day shred a few more times to lose some more weight before I start it.
  • Sushifish87
    Options
    Thank you everyone for everything so far!!! Its really helping with the differences and goals for myself. Though I want to build more muscles I'm not looking to get "ripped' more like toned. From what I've read I think I'll stick with my plan to lose about 30 more pounds while doing my current plan and maybe pop some 30DS in there... than it looks like Insanity for me!

Please keep this tread going! Looks like I'm not the only one wondering on these programs (and others I didn't know about) and I'd like to keep getting information on them all!
  • KristinWill1023
    KristinWill1023 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I have tried them all! And was in your shoes 2 years ago.

I can't connect with Shaun t. He doesn't motivate me at all.

I am a huge Jillian michaels supporter but I was so bored by 30ds I didn't even get through a week.

Then I found turbojam ( easier version of turbo fire) finished that then moved onto turbo fire. I have never loved working out or was excited to work out till turbo fire. I started it at 217 lbs and was 171 by the end.
    I am so uncoordinated and was worried about picking up the moves but it was the opposite. I picked them up so fast was excited to do it again the next day. I recently had a baby and am starting it again. I would become a beach body consultant just to sell turbo fire.
    You can start it at any fitness level and just modify it. Hope this helped.