Keto: What are your thoughts?

Options
I have been doing a lot of research into a diet for people with no gallbladder or that have IBS. The highest recommended lifestyle change I have found is called Keto. It is a very low carb high good fat diet, theoretically cutting the sugars and carbs is supposed to help those without a gallbladder or IBS function more normally as well as help you lose weight. What do y'all think about this?

Replies

• onezeronine
    onezeronine Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty sure high-fat is actually the opposite of how you should eat if you don't have a gallbladder. Your gallbladder collects and stores bile, which is kind of key in digesting fat. If you don't have a gallbladder, bile just flows into your intestine continuously and as a result you won't digest fat as well and it can get embarrassing. IBS and a removed gallbladder are not even close to the same thing.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    Too limited
  • cmwells1993
    Options
    Onezeronine: by good fats they mean olive oils and nuts. The fats that bile has a hard time breaking down are the greasy fats from fast foods and canola oils. It does sound like it would be a bad mixture but it is dealing in two different fats. The same principle goes with carbs, there are good complex carbs and there are the bad simple carbs that can hurt you.
  • Diamond05
    Diamond05 Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    I find that a low carb diet works wonder for me. I don't have any health conditions (that I know of) that needs me to cut the carbs but I do it. I think that Keto is a bit extreme to my liking since you have to cut out certain veggies too and not sure but I think no fruit at all either. I cut out white bread, pasta, rice, potatoes and sugar. I have them once in a while and I eat whole grain bread. I do limit my fruits intake to avoid too much sugar. I'm less extreme than the Keto style and I believe that you should do what works for you.
  • onezeronine
    onezeronine Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Mmm... nope. Your body doesn't care where fat is coming from, it digests them all similarly. It sounds like you're trying to distinguish between saturated and unsaturated fats ("good" and "bad" aren't particularly specific, and your body has no way of determining what you find good or bad) and bile breaks 'em all down. It doesn't sound like you have a very firm grasp of how digestion actually works, so if you have had your gallbladder removed, I would suggest you talk to your doctor before making any kind of drastic dietary change.

OR, for funsies, we can try it your way: you go ahead and eat a meal full of olive oil and avocado and nuts, and then we can see what happens next! I've got my money on a butt explosion.
  • cmwells1993
    Options
    Zero: The reason I suggest this is because I do use olive oil quite often in in my meals and it doesnt cause me to flare up. Perhaps you are right though. My mistake.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty sure high-fat is actually the opposite of how you should eat if you don't have a gallbladder. Your gallbladder collects and stores bile, which is kind of key in digesting fat. If you don't have a gallbladder, bile just flows into your intestine continuously and as a result you won't digest fat as well and it can get embarrassing. IBS and a removed gallbladder are not even close to the same thing.
    Agree here. Also it's probably more advantageous to eat more frequently and smaller meals to help with digestion.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • MsEndomorph
    MsEndomorph Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    There's a difference between sauteeing in olive oil and eating a full fat meal. If you deep fried a chicken leg in olive oil, your body would react the same way to it as a chicken leg deep fried in canola oil.

A post-cholecystectomy diet isn't about what type of fat you eat, but how much. Your gallbladder's job is to dump bile into your intestines to digest fat. Without it, you have to receive bile from th source at the rate it can be produced - not too quickly. So you'll be left with undigested fat if you aren't careful. Extra fat in the intestine feeds bacteria (gas!) and attracts water (bloating! diarrhea!) and will pretty much make you miserable - and as you can see, none of that is "fat type" specific. Fat is fat in this instance.

I'm not advocating some 1990s fat-free diet...in fact, you need cholesterol to make bile. But I don't know that a high-fat diet is the route I'd go n
  • bassejm0
    bassejm0 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I'm on a keto diet and don't have a gall bladder! Works wonders for me :)
  • ngyoung
    ngyoung Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I recommend checking out marksdailyapple.com. I believe he has written about it or there is a forum thread there addressing keto and lack of gall bladder.

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/dear-mark-gallbladder-less-crossfit-on-hiking-and-gluten-cutter/
  • cmwells1993
    Options
    ngyoung: Thank you for the article. That was exactly what I was looking for! I believe it might do me a world of good to pick up Ox Bile supplements. Thank you again.