how much did you weigh before you started running?

Options
ok im 250 pounds and im out of breath all the time going up the stairs but i would love to run i use to smoke and have been smoke free for 3 months. i walk but i get out of breath too sometimes. is it possible to run at 250 pounds and has anyone? i am afraid.

Replies

• MacMadame
    MacMadame Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    Check out the Couch to 5k program!

I was 167 when I started, which gave me a BMI of 32.6 -- so I was still technically obese at that point. But I know people over 200+ who started running successfully. Mostly you just have to take it easy and run slowly to avoid injury until more weight comes off.
  • nettip
    nettip Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I am 238lbs and run for 2 mins at a time up to six mins now when i started a did 1min out of 10 on the jogger and slowly built it up . its not easy but when i finish my 20mins on the jogger i feel so good oh and i started at 244lbs so nt far from you. i chew gum when i walk and jog as it helps me with my breathing pattern and keep you mouth from getting dry.
  • granmalaura
    granmalaura Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Hi. I am not quite so heavy but much older than you. I started running at about 180 lbs. I am 58 year old and weigh 163 1bs now. I started in February and still find it hard going. my breathing is awful and I get a soar throat when I run. But I will not give up. I started running 30 seconds in every 5 minutes and can now run for 2 minutes and walk for 2 minutes. I do this 12 times and it almost kills me, but I am determined to be able to run for 10 minutes straight. I do not smoke and have not smoked for 34 years, but it is my breathing that I have the trouble with. I think you should be ok to run, but gently at first and get good shoes, its amazing the difference this makes. I see many people on my morning runs (i do three runs each week and walk on two other days), and there are quite a few larger people now running on my route, slowly like me but at least we are all trying to do something for a better health.
    Good luck with your running, just go for it.
  • wiseg2
    wiseg2 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I was probably about 255 when I started running intervals on the treadmill. It makes me sweat like a pig but I like it. LOL
  • peanut1967
    peanut1967 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I'm at 218 lbs with a BMI of 32.x Dou you think I could start running? I'd love to but I am not sure if I should lose more weight before start. Of course I'd begin with intervals (1 min. running, 2 min walking and so on).
  • starstealing
    Options
    the walk-run method is great for larger individuals, and just anyone who isn't just yet in the proper cardiovascular shape. one note

start off slow! i would also mention really watching your heart rate and staying at a comfortable pace. search up "the pose method" also :)
  • sherri79eaton
    sherri79eaton Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I weigh 278 and I am week 4 of the C25K program, it increases a little each week, this week I will be up to running 5 minutes without stopping!! I Started at 289, So I think if I can do it, anybody can!!!
  • raymj61
    raymj61 Posts: 142
    Options
    I was 230 lbs when I started. I'm probably taller than you so for reference sake, I was about 40-50 pounds overweight. I started slowly because I didn't want to get too sore and discouraged and I certainly didn't want to pull a hamstring or something.

I started by stretching and walking at a respectable pace. In the next week or so I started walking what would be considered "briskly".

Now I mix in jogging and running 3/4 speed during my walks. I still can't run a long distance. Never really could even in high school even though I played a couple of sports. My point is, even now, and it's been 2 months, I still don't do a lot of jogging/running during my walks.

My advice would be not to overdo it. The important thing is to keep your body moving in some way. Do what you can tolerate, and then push yourself a little at a time beyond that. Be patient. Burning calories is directly related to energy exerted so, in a sense to how overweight you are. For example, there's a good chance I was burning as many calories walking for 30 minutes when I was weighing 230, as I burn walking for 40 minutes or so now at 198 lbs.
  • StuAblett
    StuAblett Posts: 1,141 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'11" tall, 46 year old guy and I weigh 266lbs right now, I started the Couch to 5K when I was closer to 270lbs.

A good pair of shoes is a must, learn how to stretch before AND after running, and just take it slow at first, yes, you can do it, I am! :bigsmile:
  • hkystar
    hkystar Posts: 1,290 Member
    Options
    I started C25K at 230 (and I am 5'7"). I followed the philosphy of starting slow. Being able to run for 30 mins was/is more important that distance/speed. Now that I can run the 30 mins, now I am focusing on speed and speeding up my runs. I highly recommend C25K as a starter running program (and feel free to repeat weeks if you need to). And like someone else said STRETCH!
  • XFitMojoMom
    XFitMojoMom Posts: 3,255 Member
    Options
    I think everyone is different - At 198 pounds, running was difficult for me and I got plantar fasciitis because the stress was too much on my feet. At 179 pounds now, I can run 3 miles.

I agree that the C25K program is great, it starts you slow and really works you up to your goal. I tried to follow it, but fell out when I got PF. I increased my endurance through doing HIIT & Tabata training.
  • StephieWheats
    StephieWheats Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I weigh a lot more than you and I run. The best thing is to pace yourself. You might start out slow but thats ok. You have to steady your breathing and find a pace you are comfortable with. I started about 3 weeks ago just adding a bit of running in with my walk to get my heart rate up. I would walk a block and then run a block.
  • hroush
    hroush Posts: 2,073 Member
    Options
    I was about 280 lbs when I started running 5 years ago. I just tried to go a little farther every time. By the end of the summer I was able to run a mile in 7 minutes at 260 lbs.
  • Sweettart
    Sweettart Posts: 1,331 Member
    Options
    Look at everyone on the Biggest Loser they are over 300lbs running, if they can do it so can you!!!

Couch to 5k is the way to start!! I just started a group yesterday and would love for you to join us!!

Here is the link for C25K

http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml
  • purplespeckle
    Options
    I've only caught a few episodes of Biggest Loser but hey they do intense stuff. Use that as your motivation! You can do it!
  • jheller
    jheller Posts: 194
    Options
    I started out at 211 and I started by walking barely 3 mph. I steadily progressed to a jog at 3.2 mph about a month later. I am now 175 and can run a 5K.

Yes you will be out of breath but you won't die!!! Your body will get used to it and before you know it you'll be a runner. Good luck and hang in there. Don't let anyone (especially yourself) tell you you can't do it!!
  • bobbiemach
    bobbiemach Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Was 230 when I started, ran to the end of my block and puked!!! Definitely suggest the couch to 5K. Not quite two years later I am down 50lbs and training for my first 1/2 marathon!! Believe me, if I can do it you can do it too!
  • Joyjmb
    Joyjmb Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I'm currently 256 lbs. (lost 5 this week - whooo!) and have completed three 1/2 marathons. I couldn't run either, so just started by reading alot online about different 'couch to runner' methods.

Start with 30 minutes.
    Walk 9 minutes, run 1 minute - 3x. Do this 4x a week for 2 weeks.
    Walk 8 minutes, run 2 minutes - 3x. Do this 4x a week for 2 weeks.

And so on until you are running the length of time you want to.

There is no reason why heavy people can't run unless they already have bad knees or ankles. Get your *kitten* out there!! =) My first finish line photo - still fat, BUT ABSOLUTELY RADIANT WITH JOY.
  • bluiz13
    bluiz13 Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    i interval ran the disney 1/2 marathon this past january at 224lbs...i trained for over 6 months doing interval training and i'm sure i was in the 230s when i started.....you have to build up slowly your endurance....i just finished wk 2 of the c25k program and will continue on until i'm done...i'm looking forward to completing a 5K in late october - early november - running the whole way.....
    start small and work your way up, i highly recommend following some interval training program like the c25k at coolrunnings.com
  • sey719
    sey719 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I ran a marathon a few years ago, and there were several people in my training group who weighed over 300 lbs when we started training. They all finished the 6 month training program and the 26.2 mile run. I'm not saying that you need to run a marathon, but you could...

Here are a few things that I've picked up over the past 20 years of running.

1. Start very slow, and listen to your body. I highly recommend the run-walk method.

2. Most injuries are a result of bad body allignment and too much pounding. Check out the Harvard University Skeletal Biology Lab's study on running: http://www.barefootrunning.fas.harvard.edu/ I changed my running stride based on their study, and even though I'm a lot heavier than I was 15 years ago, I have no longer have pain in my knees or hips.

3. Listen to your body. If you feel pain or are out of breath, walk.

4. Running is just as much mental as it is physical. If you allow yourself to think self-defeating thoughts, it will be a struggle. Keep yourself as positive as possible. Remember...you don't HAVE to run, but you GET to run.

Good luck and have fun with it!