pros and cons of weight loss Sugery

Options
Weight loss surgery has always been on my mind.. but I am not sure what kind or what is beneficial to me or anything along that topic. I just had a baby in August last year but have always had problem with weight gain. I am up to 223 and would like to get to 175 but I have been struggling with this for 4 yrs.. but before I was pregnant I was 190. What are some suggestions to help be decide if surgery is the right choice or not.

Replies

• onezeronine
    onezeronine Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Probably you should talk to a doctor, as none of us know you or your medical history.
  • jaireed
    jaireed Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Ultimately the decission is yours. What YOU think is what really matters. Have you seen a doctor about this? They would probably have the best advice. If you believe you can do it yourself, i believe you. Check out many of the people on here who have lost more than 100 lbs. They are my insperation. It is possible. Once you have the weight loss surgery you have to follow a very strict diet anyway. My husbands boss had it and he has to follow a very strict diet and cannot splurge even if he wanted to. He said if he followed the diet he has to be on now before the surgery he would have lost the weight on his own. I have not had the surgery myself so I can offer little advice. Good luck to you and the decision you make!
  • garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    I am actually planning to have weight loss surgery this summer. There are a couple of circumstances that are were very important in my decision making - even though I have lost 53 lbs, I want to lose 150 more. That's an awful lot. Also, I am older and I feel that for me, getting the weight off as quickly as possible before my health is seriously affected is very important. I know it's not reversible and the changes I will have to make will have to be permanent, but I have dealt with being overweight for almost 50 years. I don't really see why I would want to reverse it. Also, since I have been through some trauma in my lifetime, I felt it was important for me to have therapy before I made the decision to have surgery. I truly believe that I have to have my head in the right place to be successful.

7396232.png
  • 1longroad
    1longroad Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    I have a lot of friends who have had various bariatric surgeries. Some banding, some gastric sleeve and some gastric bypass. I was contemplating the surgery myself. In fact I went to the seminar and met with our bariatric surgeon.

I know, that it is an individual choice we make, based on our own circumstances, but after doing research I decided I would do my own bariatric reduction.

Before you can have surgery, you have to be on a liquid low fat diet. This is to shrink your liver a bit and make surgery easier, with less chance of complications. I thought woah, if I can do that for surgery, I certainly should be able to do that anyway! After bariatric surgery, you start with small, very small amounts of fluids. As you advance, depending upon the procedure you choose, you will have a hard time eating very much at a sitting.

So, I thought about it and figured out what my calories would be (approx), after I was post op and eating 'normally'. I talked to my MD and asked him about medifast. His guidelines were, 'keep your carbs under 200 and don't eat above 800 calories a day.

That fit with medifast, so I did that for a month. After that month, I started doing my own version of medifast. No packets. I still eat 4 or 5 times a day, 809-900 calories a day. Get my macros, but keep my carbs T about 80 to 90 daily.

Because I am fueling often, I am rarely hungry. In 3 1/2 months, I have lost 41 pounds, which is actually more than 3 fellow workers that had their bariatric procedures! Is it hard, heck yes! Are there times I want to say, forget it? Of course, but I am also feeling very pleased that I am finally learning that I do not have to let food be the ruler of my life.

I think I had to feel as if I could gain control of myself when it comes to food! I do in other aspects, but with food it was all about the emotions!

I am just as pleased for my friends who have had surgery and are losing weight and becoming healthier! Either way you choose to accomplish your weight loss, just believe in yourself and your ability to accomplish your goal!

I still have 50 pounds to lose, but, I really believe I will get there!!

Now, my one pet peeve and the hardest reason to give up the surgery, was that post bariatric surgery, you have a much better chance of getting insurance to pay for skin removal. Sorry folks, but that doesn't seem right. If you do the work yourself, no coverage, if you have a surgery, you can qualify for skin removal surgery.
  • lostgrl85
    lostgrl85 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Surgery is a huge decision and you should really think about it before going through with it. I used to work in an operating room, and that has helped in my decision to be anti-surgery, and also watching others who have had it done turns me away. The gastric bypass, even if laparoscopic, is a huge deal. That is a major surgery and not something to be taken lightly. I don't really know anything about the sleeve, except that I've heard it's a very bad one to get if you have issues with heartburn. The lap band is safer, but your weight loss would be slower, which is not a bad thing. It's also reversible if needed. My mom had the lap band surgery a while back, and she has done very well. She started watching what she eats and exercises a lot now. I think she's kept off about 80 lbs and she looks good. If the band is too tight though, she has a lot of trouble eating.

I know of some other people who have had the gastric bypass, and one has gained a bunch of weight back because she doesn't follow the diet she's supposed to. Another gained a bunch back, had to have a revision and then lost so much that she looks unhealthy now. It's disgusting. The third person I know of has lost a lot of weight, but she also doesn't follow the diet. I see all over facebook how she's chowing on her pizza, cinnamon rolls, always baking, and stuffing whatever crap she wants down her throat. It wasn't really that long ago she had the surgery (I'm thinking somewhere around a year ago), but I bet she's at the point where she's about to start gaining the weight back.

The whole point in me going on about that is, if you're not willing to change your eating habits, don't bother wasting your money on the surgery. With the gastric bypass, you can easily stretch your stomach back out to where you're overeating again, and then you'll put back on every single pound that was lost. You have to be really committed to make that change. If not, the weight loss will only be temporary and you'll end up right back where you started.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!