What's for breakfast?

Options
Amandac6772
Amandac6772 Posts: 1,311 Member
I'm lucky that I Iove eggs and can eat them most days but I'm needing some variety plus eggs are getting a bad wrap right now ...what do you do for breakfast? I have to have protein in the am or I get shaky by 10 am.

Replies

• dgweisblatt
    Options
    If I don't have eggs (which I also love), I alternate between a 250g container of cottage cheese (3%) and some fruit (cut melon or a banana) OR 1/2 cup oatmeal with 1/3 cup blueberries. With both options, I add 1 T ground flaxseeds. And whatever you do, don't skip breakfast! It's the most important meal of the day! :happy:
  • dgweisblatt
    Options
    Oh yea - you could also make a smoothie with tofu (for protein) and some frozen fruit. (Add water and some sweetner - I use Stevia.)
  • 2BSuccessful
    Options
    There is much debate about if eggs are actually so "bad". Meanwhile, if you do want to have eggs for breakfast, try making scrambled eggs with salsa. Yummy! I often have eggs (sometimes hard boiled) or cottage cheese for breakfast for protein.

Actually, you and I are thinking along the same lines, I just posted something asking what people have for snacks that are high in protein.

Good minds think alike, yes? fing10.gif
  • Holton
    Holton Posts: 1,018
    Options
    For me it is activia yogurt, 1 cup blueberries and 1/4 cup granola. That's good for 14 grams protein (just under 300 calories). Add 2 strips bacon and you tack on 5 more grams of protein (another 70 calories).
  • k2charmed4u
    Options
    Well my breakfast varies depending on how I feel and how much time I have.
    One day I'll have a bowl of my favourite cereal with chopped fruit and semi-skimmed milk. Another day I'll have two pieces of fruit and a yoghurt. Another day I'll have a protein milkshake of my favourite flavour (strawberry :blushing: , i'm a total sucker for strawberry lol)
    But I tend to have eggs as a treat for breakfast on the weekends. But if you're after a bit of variety with your eggs, have you considered making an omelet? You can add some other foods to add variety and you'll still be getting your protein.
    There are of course special cereals that have added protein in it. There also protein bars and shakes, cottage cheese it also high in protein if you can eat it in the morning. Also bagel's with cream cheese, there are cream cheese available such as neufchatel cheese which is alot healthier and is high in protein too.
    Hope this helps. :smile:
  • marymooster
    marymooster Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I do the sachets of oatmeal... plain.... made with water not milk... Then once made I add 6 walnut halves for fat and protein.... plus lately I have been adding a thing called forgotten cookie.... recipe on bbc food chanel.... it is about 60 calories... sweet with chocolate and walnuts... but very small it adds just the right flavor..... then i have a yogurt.... plenty of protein and fiber with good fat.... that is my favorite breakfast.:love:
  • raymj61
    raymj61 Posts: 142
    Options
    I eat 1 cup of Special K, 1/2 cup of milk, and 1/2 banana sliced in it 5 days a week. The other two days I eat 1 large fried egg, one slice of wheat bread and 1/2 cup of milk on the other two days. Boring I know, but you asked.
  • sarahliftsUP
    sarahliftsUP Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    I try to switch it up so I don't get bored. But I sometimes with oatmeal with blueberries, flax ground meal, and milk. Have you ever tried veggie bacon? The brand I get is yves veggie bacon and it's only 25 calories per slice.

Another good breakfast with lots of protein is greek yogurt. It has no fat and 20 g of protein per serving. I like mine with fruit to take away some of the bitterness.. you can also add in some honey as well.
  • KarenWantsABikini
    Options
    During the week i have the same breakfast every morning - Its 1/3 cup all bran, some quinoa flakes, wheatgerm, LSA, 4 almonds, chopped bananas and strawberries, skim milk and a big spoon of yoghurt on top. Its massive and packed with fibre, We all need fibre)

Then on weekends i may have poached eggs on whole wheat or grain toast.

I make breakfast my biggest meal of the day, and it really fills me up :)
  • PoeRaven
    PoeRaven Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    At this moment, I am having Greek yogurt, strawberries and a little Kashi cereal crumbled in it. It's delicious and the yogurt has 14 grams of protein.
  • sharonuk10
    sharonuk10 Posts: 277
    Options
    Bran flakes with skimmed milk. One piece of wholemeal toast with light olive oil butter. One banana. That was hours ago. Nearly lunchtime for me. Tomorrow is egg, bacon and toast breakfast.
  • Pinky_Calhoun
    Pinky_Calhoun Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Egg Beaters with onions, peppers and mushroom with Ezekiel toast & smart balance butter!
  • MaybeImNot
    MaybeImNot Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    usually it's one serving of trader joe's steel cut oatmeal and 1 tbsp of trader joe's crunchy peanut butter.
    245cals 31g carbs 11g fat 9g protein 2g sugar 6g fiber

Today I subbed out the oatmeal for half a bagel because I didn't have 15 minutes to boil the oatmeal and I ran out of my big batch I had made.
  • Ellem86
    Ellem86 Posts: 204
    Options
    This is a great thread - I've eaten the same breakfast (choc chip weetabix minis with skimmed milk) for about 12 weeks now and I'm getting very bored of it!
  • loopybec2002
    loopybec2002 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I eat breakfast when I get to work..... Normally its either a breakfast bar or peanut butter on wholemeal toast but yesterday mum came home with a fruit and fibre breakfast biscuits and said she had seen them advertised the calories are 216 for the pack of 4 and Oh My Gosh they are super yummy I really really liked them they are made with Wholegrain and I am so supprised at 10 am and i didnt feel I needed my morning snack a jacks which I have everymorning because that when i start to feel i need something I can not remember the last day I didnt have a mid morning snack. You should try these!
  • amy1612
    amy1612 Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options
    At the moment breakfast alternates between 3 rice cakes with peanut butter and a fruit salad, or wholemeal toast with a scrambled egg and mushrooms/peppers with a fruit salad.....what I have with it changes, but I have fruit salad every morning :)
  • Keisha79
    Keisha79 Posts: 63
    Options
    Special K - Chocolate Delight.
  • pfenixa
    pfenixa Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    My protein breakfast alternative to eggs is 1/2 cup greek yogurt with a tablespoon of sugar free maple syrup and a 1/6 cup unsalted almonds. It seems like such a tiny amount but it's actually quite filling (to me at least) and it's only 174 calories with 15 grams of protein. Barely any sodium or sugar and the fat is all from the almonds. Otherwise if I want protein I do eggs, typically egg whites with a whole egg and a half slice of reduced fat provolone. To mix it up sometimes I put in a 1/4 cup of spinach, which can make it more filling too.

I've heard there are certain cereals that are higher in protein you could try too. I keep wanting to buy some (I think the one I've heard most is Kashi) but I have a huge box of plain Cheerios from Costco that I need to finish. :laugh:
  • GooBeGone
    GooBeGone Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    1 scrambled egg, 1cup hash browns, 4slices turkey bacon, 2 plain white toast, & 1 sweet hot tea. 518calories total hehehe :tongue:

unfortunately this leaves me full for most of the day... idk y :wink: :laugh:
  • babygirl2010
    Options
    oatmeal this morning, im soon going to start my veggie/fruit smoothie, I sometimes eat bagels but they have so much calories grr and i think thats it... toast with peanut butter is also a good one