Calling all pop addicts!

Options
We all know pop isn't good for us, right? Even if it's diet. I know this, but yet I'd hooked on diet pepsi. I've tried giving it up before and failed, twice. So...third time's the charm! Are there any other pop junkies that want to try to kick the habit along with me? Things like this are easier together.
Jump in any time you want. I'm starting today. AND BE HONEST! If you have a pop, own up to it.

Replies

• purgatori
    Options
    I was a total addict, then made a serious effort to switch to diet coke. Finally, on Aug. 3rd, I had a tonsillectomy and believe me, even flat pop is the last thing you want. I haven't had any since!
  • chroi
    chroi Posts: 20
    Options
    Oh god I am the *exact* same - diet Pepsi too!

I just make sure to not overdo it and to keep my water intake for the day in my mind so I reach for water instead of Pepsi. It makes a nice change from drinking just water all the time!
  • SugarDiva
    SugarDiva Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    Oh how I understand that. lol It does break up all the water. But I just can't stop. I drink far too much. Sometimes first thing in the morning. It's like coffee for me. So I'm quitting it all together. I think that's why I failed before. I drink so much that when I did allow myself a little it turned into a lot.
  • Kelle29
    Kelle29 Posts: 14
    Options
    Bizarre as I am giving up today (well i finished a small glass from the bottle first).

I gave up without noticing ten yrs ago and lost about 1.5 stone in 6 weeks. But as i moved I ended up drinking it again.
  • audiophile
    Options
    Ooooh yes. I should give this a go! :D I used to drink between 1-4 cans a day (now down to one). I'm trying to swap Coke Zero for green tea and it seems to be working! :) hehe.
  • audiophile
    Options
    Bizarre as I am giving up today (well i finished a small glass from the bottle first).

I gave up without noticing ten yrs ago and lost about 1.5 stone in 6 weeks. But as i moved I ended up drinking it again.
    Just curious, were you drinking diet or regular? :)
  • jlizgar
    jlizgar Posts: 104
    Options
    Its really SO much easier than you are thinking, you just dont drink it and you just dont cave to the temptation! Its all mind over matter, and if you are really serious about giving it up, you will, if you arent totally serious, then you will cave and drink them.
    I was a major coke a holic but gave it up cold turkey! My hubby still drinks coke & pepsi pretty regularly, but I just decided it was time to get real and get serious and that in order to reach my health and fitness goals, the coke had to go!
    Its been going on 2 month that I havent had 1 single drop of it! I dont even crave it anymore.... well, except root beer, I cant lie, I may reward myself with the occasional natural non diet real sugar (or other natural sweetener) root beer...but for now, im not having ANY sodas, thats just the way it has to be right now until I reach some of my goals.
  • jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    I drink diet coke all the time, and I am not giving it up
  • pandygurl
    pandygurl Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    at least yours is diet.. I cant resist a cold regular pepsi.. and my husband is the same. We are bad influences on eachother! Usually Im better and will be able to resist it, but he will sneak out friday night and grab a bottle!
  • jlizgar
    jlizgar Posts: 104
    Options
    I drink diet coke all the time, and I am not giving it up

Thats probably not the most helpful thing to say in a thread dedicated to those that DO want to give it up.
  • susiewusie
    susiewusie Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I used to drink my own body weight in diet coke (thats a lot) lolo and it killed me at first terrible bad heads but I now love water and sugar free lemon and lime juice and dont feel half as bloated ,I find diet coke so sweet and sickly now ,never thought the day would come when I could say that hahahahha
  • chroi
    chroi Posts: 20
    Options
    I noticed that too, non diet drinks do that to me.

Soon as I start drinking non diet drinks/water and open even a bottle of Coke or ORange etc, the weight just balloons! It's nuts!
  • emstaples
    Options
    I gave up my morning mocha latte about four months ago, and seem to have slowly replaced it with diet cherry coke. I try to keep my water intake up, but there's just no way I could go caffeine-free at this point in my life, (I'm a mom and a full time student)! I've heard there are downsides to drinking diet sodas, but it's got to be better than 400 calories of "foo-foo" coffee! One step at a time...

To all those that are giving it up, more power to you!
  • SugarDiva
    Options
    This is day three and no pop. But boy, do I want one:laugh: I've been guzzling water like it's going out of style, which i suppose is a good thing. This will be easier while I'm home. Here on the rig, there's lots of pop, and yes there's juice but it's also loaded down with sugar, so it's water (sometimes with crystal light singles that I brought with me) and the occasional V8. I like V8 BUT at home I buy the low sodium or I make my own, and sadly, this stuff isn't low sodium and I can't handle alot of it, for the diet and for the taste.
    Either way, no pop for three days! woot!
  • lschmidt77
    Options
    Congratulations! 3 days is great! My husband and I can go through a 2 liter bottle of diet soda in a day. When we realized how fast we were going through it we both agreed to try to cut back, but I despise water so it's hard! When it gets cooler I can drink tea, and I did pick up some of the Crystal Light singles. I had a diet coke with dinner tonight, so I guess I'll call that my last one!
  • SugarDiva
    Options
    I hate drinking water too, so what I've been doing is putting half a crystal light single (cuz I find the whole thing too strong) in a 500ml bottle of water and also some of my soya protein (the crystal light hides most of the taste lol) and I have no problem drinking it. Strange enough, I've noticed that I haven't been craving so much sweet stuff in the last two days. I've heard that diet pops make you want sweets, but I always passed it off. Now, I think it's right. Thinking about it, after I had a pepsi, I would always nose past the cookies or break a piece off a brownie while I was making them. Tonight I didn't do that. For the rest of the time I'm here at work, I'm going to keep track of that to see if it's true, or if I'm just losing it :laugh:
    Good Luck kicking the pop. Keep us posted
  • lschmidt77
    Options
    I got some Crystal Light Pure samples somewhere recently, so I'm having one now and I really like it! They have a few calories- 15 per packet I think? But like you said I only use half in a big glass of water. I really like it! It doesn't have artificial sweeteners and has some electrolytes too. So here goes day one!
  • SugarDiva
    Options
    :ohwell: okay I have to be honest here. Tonight I had two sips of pop. Not really happy with that BUT I am happy that it was only two sips and I felt so bad about it that I dumped it. Here's why I did it..A co-worker was telling me how she cut down on pop because I was telling her how bad I wanted one. She pours half the can into a cup and dumps the rest. She said "try that to get your fix and then cut down some more". Well okay, I did try it and like I said it was two sips and I dumped it. So all in all I'm proud of myself for dumping it :smile:
  • lfenske
    lfenske Posts: 4
    Options
    I too have been a diet pepsi addict most of my life. I used to drink a minimum of 6 cans per day, like you it was my coffee. It also made me eat more! :( I have finally broke the habit, but it was not will power - I was starting to get seriously ill when I would drink it. It would feel like holes were being burned into my espohagus! Don't wait til you reach this point. I will still occasionally grab a can, but rarely finish - it just doesn't taste the same. Try to find a substitute. If it is the cabonation, try carbonated waters - there are a many better choices now. If it is the caffeine, try green tea. I wish you all the luck in trying to break this habit - I know it is very difficult!
  • SugarDiva
    Options
    I like the waters but I find it when I'm at work that I drink the most pop. That's why I'm taking the crystal light. I'm home now, so I should be okay. :happy: