Warning: Poop-related question

Options
Figured I should give the head's up so that no one has to see a gross question unless they want to contribute.

Yesterday, I freaked myself out for a second because when I pooped, I saw yellow chunks in the toilet. After I'd already flushed & thought about it, I figure it was partially digested kernels of corn. However, the last time I had corn was August 17th. So from end of Aug 17 to early to mid Aug 23rd, is that a normal amount of time for food to make it from one end to the other? I didn't think food stayed in the body that long (except when it turns into fat, I mean)

Is that normal and/or is there something else that might have looked like that and is it something to worry about?

Sorry for the gross question, but I always thought food went through the body w/in a day or so (I mean, I poop at least once a day, so it seems like stuff should move through)

Replies

• Kelle29
    Kelle29 Posts: 14
    Options
    Why can't the body digest sweet corn (corn on the cob?

Thanks for posting such an interesting question. Actually, you are partially correct that the human digestive system can't digest sweet corn (on the cob). The part that you see exit your body as part of your fecal matter is actually the part that the human digestive system can't do much with, because we don't have the enzymes (complicated proteins that the body creates) to break apart what the corn kernel covering is made of...some animals can, though. I think that maybe seeing the coverings not digested is what made you think that the whole corn kernel isn't digested.

The rest of the corn kernel (the interior stuff) is easily digestible by the human digestive system. The center part of the kernel is mainly starch (complex carbohydrate) and a little bit of protein...and a few vitamins and minerals. The human body then can absorb the breakdown products from the starch and protein, as well as the vitamins and minerals into the blood stream, where the materials can be delivered to the rest of the body tissues.

So, the end result is that, in order to get the maxiumum nutritional yield from the sweet corn you eat, make sure that it is well cooked and that you chew it well, so your digestive tract has the chance to 'capture' all the nutrients that it can from the corn.

Info from http://www.madsci.org/posts/archives/1999-02/918153167.Me.r.html
  • rachel5576
    rachel5576 Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    Here's a link to an interesting video that might give you more insight.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X8W4owS1DRM
  • sallyLunn
    sallyLunn Posts: 381
    Options
    I was going to add, if you have significantly changed the way you eat recently, you know, started including more fiber rich foods in your diet when before you just ate whatever didn't crawl off the plate, your colon will also do a little clean out of stuff that has been hanging around in there forever.
  • johnthefatman
    Options
    Not sure what the norm is for the time it takes food to pass through - the docs call it ITT intestinal transit time. I know mine is normally about 18-20 hours but everyone's different. Eat some more corn and watch out for it to verify your timings. I also look out for the dark green tinge that comes from eating spinach. If your ITT is really 6 days I would suggest upping your fibre and water intake.
    j
  • JennaGermain
    Options
    I'm so grateful to all of you helping me with info and suggestions. I was worried I might offend people with my question, but I'm now really glad I asked because now I have an opportunity to fix something that might need fixing in the way I eat.

Thank you, and any more feedback/suggestions are welcome.
  • JBennis1013
    JBennis1013 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I work for a gastroenterologist...you may just have a slow digestive system. Like for some patients, when we prep them for their colonoscopies have to do two days of fasting and liquids as opposed to 1. Everyone digests foods differently and yours may just be slower.
  • LainMac
    LainMac Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    Another way to see "how fast it goes through" is to eat sweet potatos. If I have one, then 12 hours to 16 hours later, the poop is way more orange that usual.
  • AnnaPixie
    AnnaPixie Posts: 7,439 Member
    Options
    I dont know the answer, but just wanted to say there's no need to be embarrassed about a question like that - we all poo and wee! :bigsmile:

But logically, with 26feet of colon to move through, I think transit time varies, a lot!

All the best :flowerforyou: