Obesity is a disease in the US. Should it be?

Options
kendrafallon
kendrafallon Posts: 1,030 Member
Interesting article posted on the BBC News website,

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/23011804

There's a thread on this forum about the debate: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1023482-obesity-a-disease

BBC News article in full:
Last week, the American Medical Association voted to classify obesity as a disease. But is being fat the same thing as being sick?

The decision came at the annual meeting of the American Medical Association (AMA).

Though a committee of experts recommended against classifying obesity as a disease, the association's delegates voted to approve the change.

And at a stroke, a third of the US population became diseased.

The immediate repercussions of the vote are not clear - while insurance companies may now be more inclined to cover obesity prevention and treatments, they are under no obligation to do so.

AMA president Ardis Hoven says the new designation will increase the focus on obesity treatment and prevention, and in doing so help medical professionals deal with the increasingly complex health problems associated with being overweight or obese.

Though obesity has been a health issue in the public eye for decades, doctors are not always equipped or prepared to help patients treat and prevent obesity-related illnesses.

Hoven says the vote will encourage doctors to change that, and will provide more training and education for both doctors and patients.

"When we are sitting in the examining room and talking about things to prevent weight gain and promote weight loss, what this is going to enable us to do is put together tools and teaching and education around better ways to impact patient responsiveness around our concerns about their obesity," she says.

For Americans who went to bed feeling fine and woke up with a disease, the new designation is alarming.

"Pretty uniformly people are not real happy about it," says Lesely Kinzel, associate editor at the website XOJane.com and author of Two Whole Cakes: How to Stop Dieting and Learn to Love Your Body.

Soon after the announcement of the decision, the hashtag #IAmNotADisease became popular on Twitter for those wishing to express their dismay with the decision.

Kinzel says that many fat people already have trouble accessing proper healthcare, because their ailments are not taken seriously except as an extension of their weight.

"You might go to the doctor with a twisted ankle or a head cold and be told you need to lose weight, which doesn't help with the twisted ankle or the head cold," she says.

She worries this classification will only make the problem worse.

"It says that a fat person is inherently sick, and in need of special treatment for this visible sickness," she says, noting that at least a third of people who are classed as obese don't have any increased risk for diabetes or cardiac problems.

"It makes me worried that doctors are going to be less able to listen to patients."

On the other side of the debate, some worry that classifying obesity as a disability removes an element of personal responsibility.

"Are people going to start taking off work and claiming disability because they are obese? If restaurants are offering [high-caloric] items on the menu, does that open the door for people to sue?" asks Judy Gaman, a health and wellness consultant at Executive Medicine of Texas.

"When you take personal responsibility out of the equation, it opens the door for a lot of other things."

Marlene Schwartz, the acting director of the Rudd Center for Obesity and Food Policy at Yale University, says that calling obesity a disease could allow for obese people who require medical interventions to get the help they need.

But she cautions that such a classification can lead to stereotypes and oversimplification.

"To the extent that this helps people get the resources they need and convinces insurance companies that funding prevention is better, I'm all for it," she says.

"To the extent that it makes people feel badly about themselves and increases stigma, I'm more cautious."

Obesity, she says, is incredibly complicated. The idea that those with a Body Mass Index over 30 - the official mark for obese - just need to put down the hamburger and pick up a skipping rope is reductive.

"The definition of obesity needs to take into account how complicated the issue of weight eating and physical activity is," she says.

She says a subset of those with a BMI over 30 are perfectly healthy, and that those who are not see a dramatic benefit from losing just 10% of their weight.

In those cases, a patient's health may change substantially, but their appearance and their BMI may not.

The designation of obesity as a disease, she says, has tremendous potential to help harness resources and direct attention to the potential health issues of those with a BMI over 30.

Used correctly, she says, the new classification should fight stigma.

"We need to be able to use this disease label to the extent that it makes people take obesity seriously, and not keep blaming people for being irresponsible," she says.

In the end, she says, everyone involved in this debate wants the same thing - for all Americans to enjoy nutritious food, physical activity, good health, and to feel comfortable with their bodies.

Whether this new classification will help with that mission that remains to be seen.

Side quotes:
What is obese?

The Body Mass Index (BMI) looks at a person's weight divided by height, squared. A BMI over 30 is considered obese.

It often labels muscle-heavy professional athletes as obese, while classifying as "average weight" those who may have a slim frame but percentage of dangerous body fat.

Should a pill treat obesity?

The classification of obesity as a disease comes as two new weight-loss drugs were approved by the Food and Drug Administration.

The AMA hopes that the new classification will lead to even more new treatments for obesity, including medication.

"Reclassifying this is going to encourage greater investment and research. It elevates the importance of necessary interventions," says Ardis Hoven, president of the American Medical Association.

But for some, the idea of more pharmaceutical intervention is worrying.

"The notion that obesity is a disease will inevitably invite a reliance on pharmacotherapy and surgery to fix what is best addressed through improvements in the use of our feet and forks," writes David Katz, director of the Yale Prevention Research Center.

Edit: Link to forum post updated

Replies

• GymBeast2
    GymBeast2 Posts: 81
    Options
    I just have to say no. IMHO, people know that if you eat more then you burn, you will gain. There is to much info out there and most is accessible through the internet. So if you are sitting on your booty more then you are shaking your booty, you will get heavy.

There is no magic pill(I wish) and losing and maintaining is work, but in the end you have accomplished something you will be proud to show off.
  • stephx4
    stephx4 Posts: 810
    Options
    Obesity is not an illness it's a life choice!
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    Obesity is -NOT- a disease. Obesity can be caused by real disorders...or it can be caused by a person's lack of exercise and/or overconsumption of calories...but by itself is not and should not be classified as a disease.
  • Faye_Anderson
    Faye_Anderson Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options

I don't think people choose to be obese, they just don't choose to do anything to fix it. I don't think it's an illness but I think that millions of people will now use that as an excuse for their weight and the problem will continue to grow because of it.
  • jdhoward_101
    jdhoward_101 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I completely agree, it is not an illness. Yes, there are some genuine illnesses that contribute towards obesity, but obesity itself should not be classed as a disease, as on the whole it is a choice. And i also agree with what the article said about the implications of taking away the personal responsibility. I can only see this ending badly.

Although saying that, maybe it will be a wake up call for some of the obese, and maybe they will do something positive to improve their lifestyles.
  • battyg13
    battyg13 Posts: 508 Member
    Options

In some cases yes people dont help themselves and i have no sympathy for people like that.

If it is a medical reason then it cant be helped sometimes.
  • Topsking2010
    Topsking2010 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    No.

Americans are lazy and the portions served at restaurants is out of control.

Unless you cook your own food and maintain a daily exercise program obesity in the US will continue.

Taking a pill to control obesity will only create more health problems.
  • talraviv69
    talraviv69 Posts: 13 Member
    Options

To the same extent that hypertension or diabetes type 2 is a life choice!
    Similarly to obesity you can mitigate and sometimes even eliminate the symptoms of these conditions by adapting healthier lifestyle but the tendency to develop them is certainly not a choice.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    It's a conspiracy on the part of the AMA to put weight loss clinics etc out of business.........if it's a disease anyone other than a doctor "treating" the disease would be be practicing medicine without a license. :wink:
  • stephx4
    Options

In some cases yes people dont help themselves and i have no sympathy for people like that.

I understand that completely but simply being obese from diet and lack of exercise is there own fault.. They know what the outcome will eventually be.
  • stephx4
    Options
    My father is very obese and has endless health problems including the two mentioned but if he had made better health choices then he may have been able to prevent the severity of the illness.
  • Steffani911
    Steffani911 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    If we say it's a lifestyle choice, than drug and alcohol addiction is not a disease but a lifestyle choice.

It's a tough one because we also allow the manufacturing and selling of extremely unhealthy, processed foods. A lot of our young adults and youths don't know what eating healthy is. They don't know what a true "homemade" meal is.

For me, the jury's out on this one. I'm glad I'm not the one making the decision.
  • battyg13
    battyg13 Posts: 508 Member
    Options

I understand that completely but simply being obese from diet and lack of exercise is there own fault.. They know what the outcome will eventually be.

Yeah. thats kinda what i was getting at :-)
  • Antlady69
    Antlady69 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I don't think people choose to be obese, they just don't choose to do anything to fix it. I don't think it's an illness but I think that millions of people will now use that as an excuse for their weight and the problem will continue to grow because of it.

This. I do believe that there is some mental thing going on, a bit similar to anorexia but with the opposite effect. Like Faye said, people don't choose to be fat. It makes them unhappy, depressed, withdrawing from the world. It hurts them. They are in a vicious circle. Just like it won't help an anorexic when you tell them to simply eat more, it won't help an obese person when you tell them to just eat less. There is more to it.
  • VasylP
    VasylP Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    We have all heard the expression - "Garbage in, garbage out!" Well unfortunately the big chemical plant known as the human body was never designed to deal with the "Garbage in" portion of that saying, nor was it meant to sit in front of the idiot box on average over 33 hours a week, whilst stuffing one's mouth with garbage. When I was in university my room mates and I had a rule, from May 1 through September 1, the TV went into storage as we should be outside enjoying the summer weather.

Labeling obesity a disease opens up a Pandora's Box for big Pharma to create even more nasty chemical concoctions, as it seems to me North America in general and the USA more particularly is constantly looking for a quick fix to problems. It is no secret that the AMA, Big Pharma and the FDA all sleep in the same bed. The quick fix for everything seems to have become more prevalent in the last ten years. I don't remember ever seeing TV ads for all kinds of chemical concoctions that have more risks than benefits. I was away from Canada in Europe for nearly ten years, I was actually quite surprised to see such advertisements.

It comes down to we are what we eat.. Garbage in... it stays in and body becomes fat. Sit in front of TV for on average 33 hours per week, instead of even half of that and moving around for the other half, body still stays fat.

I say if people want to kill themselves slowly let them, just don't involved anyone else. On that not, there are parents should have their parental rights removed for the garbage they feed their children.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    Obesity is -NOT- a disease. Obesity can be caused by real disorders...or it can be caused by a person's lack of exercise and/or overconsumption of calories...but by itself is not and should not be classified as a disease.

not aimed at you personally, but at everyone expressing a similar sentiment to that quoted

where in the definition of "disease" does it say it's necessary for the cause to be no fault of the sufferer's own? Scurvy is a disease caused by not eating enough vitamin C. If you get scurvy in spite of having access to foods containing vitamin C, it's your fault that you got it. That doesn't change the fact that it's a disease. There are all kinds of diseases that you can get through making bad lifestyle choices. The fact that for the majority of obese people, their obesity is solely the result of bad lifestyle choices, does not mean that obesity isn't a disease or that it shouldn't be considered as such.

Additionally, just because something is considered a disease does not mean that the sufferer can't fix it through making good lifestyle choices, in some diseases this can fix it. For example if someone has scurvy, they can take high dose vitamin C supplements initially, and then start eating fresh fruit and vegetables. So again, just because obesity is considered a disease, does not change the fact that for most people it can be cured through making better lifestyle choices, just as scurvy can be cured by eating fresh fruit and vegetables. In the few cases where the obesity is caused by another medical issue (e.g. thyroid) that would have to be fixed before lifestyle choices make much difference.

Something is a disease if it's a harmful and abnormal state for the human body to be in, or if something harmful/abnormal happening within the body. Whether that came about because of pathogens, genes or lifestyle choices does not determine whether it's a disease or not. the question of whether obesity is a disease or not depends on whether you consider it to be a normal, non-harmful state for the human body to be in or not. It's interesting that the same people who object to obesity being normalised and considered an acceptable, non-harmful thing, are the same people who are also objecting to it being classified as a disease.... make your minds up.....!

I think it's absolutely vital, if obesity is considered a disease, that it should be diagnosed based on body fat percentage and *NOT* BMI charts. Additionally, I think more research is needed to determine exactly what body fat percentages are actually harmful, and which are okay. At the moment 35%+ body fat is considered obese for women (I think it's 30%+ for men), but without any peer reviewed studies to back it up, those numbers seems pretty arbitrary. But yes, I think there is a point where the body is carrying so much excess fat that damage is being done, and then it should be considered a disease. I just don't want to see perfectly healthy, very fit athletes with healthy body fat percentages and large frames and lots of muscle mass being diagnosed with an illness based on BMI charts, because that would be truly ridiculous.

TL;DR carrying so much body fat that it's damaging your body is pathological and should be considered as a disease and the fact that in most cases it's caused by poor lifestyle choices does not change that one little bit.
  • alwayskungfu
    Options
    For a very small % of the population there are very real physical disabilities or physical imbalances and disorders that can be qualified as a cause and effect of obesity and I 'feel' for them.....But for most it's simply a love of pies and cakes and booze and TV and a hatred of exercise and getting sweaty, and I 'feel for them! :frown:
  • onwarddownward
    onwarddownward Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    Disease:

1. A pathological condition of a part, organ, or system of an organism resulting from various causes, such as infection, genetic defect, or environmental stress, and characterized by an identifiable group of signs or symptoms.

2. A condition or tendency, as of society, regarded as abnormal and harmful.

3. Obsolete Lack of ease; trouble.

The problem is that "disease" does not mean what we think it means. I believe that people tend to think of disease as something that goes wrong with your body that can not be altered or reversed. It is thought to be a process that we have no control over. Once you have a diagnosis of a disease, most feel there is nothing you can do except get a prescription from your doc to control the symptoms.

When I was a kid and we would get a coke, it was six ounces. Now it's a liter and a half. Mcdonald's served hamburgers. Period. Now a meal there is over a thousand calories, easily. Don't forget your apple pie.

We used to play outside. We didn't watch TV all day because kids shows were only on for four hours on Saturday (unless you counted Davy and Goliath, which came on earlier). Sure. Some people were fat, but not to the degree that we are now. Google the Skipper from Gilligan's Island. He was FAT. Look at his photos from the show. He would not even register on today's scale of fat.

The human spine and skeletal system were not made to support 300 or more pounds. Pure and simple physics. It's no wonder we are sore, sick and mentally depressed. We are like coat racks trying to support a polar bear without collapsing. It doesn't work. :noway: :noway: :noway:

Does that mean that some people simply can't lose weight? Yes, but not because of disease. Because of the quackery that puts out crap about weight loss in books, media and television and calls it "science".

Here is sound science. Eat less and move more. Journal every freaking bite. Watch your "disease" go away.

Sure wish we could do that with CANCER. Now that's a disease.
  • mustang289
    mustang289 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    If we say it's a lifestyle choice, than drug and alcohol addiction is not a disease but a lifestyle choice.

I've always thought this. You choose to abuse drugs and you choose to abuse alcohol. After you've made those choices the will to stop can be extremely hard if not impossible to overcome, either due to genetic disposition or not enough willpower, but the initial choices were made by the user. Had a best friend who battled with alcohol all his adult life and eventually committed suicide. It sucks, but no one pried his mouth open and forced him to take that first drink and become "diseased".
  • Lady_Clarington
    Lady_Clarington Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    My main concern is that by giving it a label of a "disease" society will shift away from the "I'm putting on a few pounds here, probably should put down the fork and go for a walk" to "nooooo I can eat these two cakes and a mars bar, its not me its the disease!" Where people will sit back and demand the doctors fix it with quick operations and pills rather than put in the hard work and sweaty exercise themselves.