Week 1 massive lost, week 2 and 3 = zero

Options
Hi Guys

In week 1 I lost 8lb but week 2 and (now) week 3 im hovering around the 112kg mark and cant seem to break it.

MFP suggests 1500 calories per day and im sticking within this + doing 20 mins cardo each day.

In addition to keeping within the calorie guidelines, I have no white bread, rice or potatoes. I just have all-bran and 1 wholemeal wrap at lunch time and generally meat and salad / vegetables in the evening.

I am getting a little fed up now, any advice?

Replies

• mamosh81
    mamosh81 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    first week is pretty much all water weight after that the fat burning process starts it usually takes a bit to kick in.

Just keep doing what you are doing and eventually your body WILL catch up :flowerforyou:
  • hiyomi
    hiyomi Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    first week is pretty much all water weight after that the fat burning process starts it usually takes a bit to kick in.

Just keep doing what you are doing and eventually your body WILL catch up :flowerforyou:

What she said. :D
  • grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,153 Member
    Options
    It takes time. Weight loss isn't linear, and often goes in fits and starts. Your initial loss was likely mostly water weight, and you don't really have more excess retained water, so don't expect all losses to be that dramatic. Make sure you eat back all your exercise calories to keep your body fueled up enough to burn fat rather than muscle. Other than that, stay the course and have patience. It does work, even if it is frustratingly slow at times.
  • Jimster1981
    Jimster1981 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys. :)
  • Cryren8972
    Cryren8972 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    It's very common for the body to lose and stop losing in a cycle. As everyone has said...keep doing what you're doing. You have to remember that our bodies are geared to keep the fat on. It's a survival mechanism. However, working out and eating right will always result in a healthier body. =)
  • juleszephyr
    juleszephyr Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    I would imagine at 112kg and eating 1500 cals a day and I am guessing not eating back your exercise cals that you body as gone into shock a bit.

Are you calculated on MFP and losing 2lbs a week? I am guessing 1500 is as low as it will let you go? I agree with the others that first week is mainly water weight and it will take your body time to adjust to such a drastic change.

Maybe try eating back half your exercise cals as the deficit for weight loss is built into the 1500 number anyway. Stick with it for another couple of weeks and then maybe re-assess if you aren't happy with the initial month's weight loss.

Good Luck and have faith in the process.
    Jules xx
  • clutter78
    clutter78 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Also make sure you measure now, then on weeks you might not lose you can check that (when i get a plateau i always lose inches and when i lose weight i tend to stay the same size)
  • mamosh81
    mamosh81 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    just remember now the tanks are empty and the body has to break open the fuel boxes (fat cells)
  • pjones239sld
    pjones239sld Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Hi Guys

In week 1 I lost 8lb but week 2 and (now) week 3 im hovering around the 112kg mark and cant seem to break it.

MFP suggests 1500 calories per day and im sticking within this + doing 20 mins cardo each day.

In addition to keeping within the calorie guidelines, I have no white bread, rice or potatoes. I just have all-bran and 1 wholemeal wrap at lunch time and generally meat and salad / vegetables in the evening.

I am getting a little fed up now, any advice?

Look at your daily sugars and see if you have gone over, I found this slowed and sometimes stopped my weight loss, perhaps switch the all bran to shredded wheat?

Also I would try increasing your cardio to 30 mins min per session with one minute bursts of really pushing yourself every 5 - 10 minutes.

Your body will get used to anything after while and the more you surprise it the better it works.

Change frequently what you eat by switching levels of protein/carbs/fat around. Have high fiber, especially for breakfast, it will keep you going until lunch.

for carbs stick to complex (slow burning carbs) they prevent big spikes in insulin levels which can impact on the efficiency of your immune system.

Also brisk walks of 20 - 30 minutes will bring your pulse rate to the ideal zone for fat burning.

Hope this helps. It has worked well for me and I am approaching 100 lbs weight loss. Oh and finally, if you have any kind of shakes I would cut them out unless you are a hardcore weight trainer, they do not help with weight loss from my experience.

If you follow the above and burn enough for a deficit of 500 cals per day at least you should see results, how quick the results are will depend on how much you burn. Maybe lower your calorie intake to 12 -14 thousand (but always a minimum of 12,000).

Good luck and don't give in.
  • imogen11
    imogen11 Posts: 15
    Options
    Hey, I'm kinda in the same boat! This is my second time with MFP. I don't have much to lose this time around, only about 12-13 pounds. Last week, my first week back, I lost 4 pounds which was a much larger loss than I expected. Second week - nothing! I'm trying to remember if this is how it was when I last lost weight with MFP. It's really disheartening, but I'm sticking at it. What I don't understand is that he first week is thought to consist mostly of water loss but I was really surprised to notice a physical difference after losing only 4 pounds. I could see it in my arms and stomach and my clothes fit a little better. It was slight, but definitely noticeable to me. If it's just water weight, would I really be able to see it???

Anyhow, stick at it, don't give up! Hopefully we have a better week this week! :-)
  • pjones239sld
    pjones239sld Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I would imagine at 112kg and eating 1500 cals a day and I am guessing not eating back your exercise cals that you body as gone into shock a bit.

Are you calculated on MFP and losing 2lbs a week? I am guessing 1500 is as low as it will let you go? I agree with the others that first week is mainly water weight and it will take your body time to adjust to such a drastic change.

Maybe try eating back half your exercise cals as the deficit for weight loss is built into the 1500 number anyway. Stick with it for another couple of weeks and then maybe re-assess if you aren't happy with the initial month's weight loss.

Good Luck and have faith in the process.
    Jules xx

So long as you eat at 12,000 a day, keep portions small and regular you can burn more than you eat and have a negative net calorie intake for the day. 12,000 is enough to prevent the body going into 'starvation mode'. I would recommend aiming for the intake MFP sets however.
  • Jimster1981
    Jimster1981 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Thanks again for all the replies. I'm not about to give this up and to be honest, visually I can see a difference and clothes feel better so yeah maybe im losing inches as oppose to weight. I'ts just very frustrating but I appreciate it a long term thing.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    I understand the feeling. I'm moving into week 3 now. Last week it seemed like the scale barely budged. I've been seeing the same number on the scale for about the past 4-5 days. It's very disheartening not seeing the numbers go down.

That being said, I know it's going to take a long time to lose the weight I want to, and I keep telling myself that I'm in this for the long haul. Being healthy is more than just the numbers on the scale.

But, I do hope to see another nice loss soon, lol. ;)