I should weigh how much? Not likely!

Options
I've been looking around on the internet today to find out how much a girl like me 5ft 11inches should actually way according to the standard charts the doctors use.
According to their charts I should weight 156lbs. That's like 11 1/2 stone (or there abouts). But there's just one problem. I'd look flippin' ridiculous at that weight.

I have very broad shoulders and wide hips (child bearing hips my grandmother calls them). If I went that skinny i'd look like an anorexic hour glass!

I'd be more than happy to get to 13st 7lbs (189lbs). It's definatley better than being the 19st 6lbs (272lbs) that I was.

But is there anyone out there that has the same problem with what their doctors are saying you should be?

Replies

• Suedre
    Suedre Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'11' too. I didnt think that anywhere in 150 land was right for me. I really thought that 165 - 170 was going to be a happy place. Now that the weight is coming off and I'm within 10 pounds of 165 - 170, I'm starting to see that around 155 -160 is probably going to be an ideal place for me. Not that I wont be happy at 165! :)

I think the "healthy" range for our height goes all the way to 169. My advice: Just take it one week at the time and find your happy place, whatever it is.
  • Paula_Addem
    Paula_Addem Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I think the "healthy" range for our height goes all the way to 169. My advice: Just take it one week at the time and find your happy place, whatever it is.

BEST ADVICE EVER! Good luck!
  • Moonboots100
    Moonboots100 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I have the exact same problem! My weight watchers leader says that I should be between 11 and 13 stone. At 6 foot 1" I dont agree!!! I have looked back at some old photos of me at school and I looked ill, gangly and lanky with a lollypop head!!!

Ive set myself a target of 15 stone, which to shorter people would still be alot, but I feel for my height (wide hips and shoulders) this would be ideal. I spoke to my nurse about this and she agreed with my target.

I think you should just go with what goal YOU feel you want to be. You can always assess this when you get there. Goals are personal to you, not your doctor, or anyone else.

Take care x
  • jenny2x
    jenny2x Posts: 7
    Options
    For my height, 5'5" the internet says I should weight somewhere between 113 and 149 pounds. That's a huge gap! I haven't lost much weight, but I've been lifting weights and I've lost 2 dress sizes. I'm having a hard time trying not to pay too much attention to the scale, but according to my doctor I'm very overweight. It's definitely a struggle, but hang in there.
  • auntie_mush
    Options
    I don't think any internet site can tell you what your ideal weight should be....

I totally agree with Suedre... you and only you can determine what your ideal weight is... it's the weight you feel most comfortable with and feel more sexy :wink:

• happy_jax
    happy_jax Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    The doctors charts/BMI calculators etc are ridiculous!! They do not take into account build, bone density, muscle mass etc...so even two people of exactly the same height can get the same reading but look dramatically different!

They don't work for me either...more the other way...at 174cm (I think this is 5.9' ish) and 64.4kg my BMI is 21.3 but I am still a bit podgy!! Of course, doctors don't really bat an eyelid/care because your "BMI is Healthy" .... hmm, if only these medical professionals could just use their eyes and not try to make everyone conform into the same bracket!!? My partner is like you - with a very high BMI and his 'ideal weight' would be ridiculous - but he is a skinny little thing!! (Very annoying!) It's because he is pretty much solid muscle which I guess weighs in so much more than fat...

As everyone else says - just ignore the charts and go by what feels right FOR YOU! You'll know when you reach your "ideal weight" :happy: Good luck!
  • nikkirhea1
    Options
    I am 5 4 1/2. Even when I was younger and more in shape I liked myself at 145-150. The charts read I should be in that 115-149 range also. I just go by the chart for 5'5 since I am in between. I know I can do it but I will be between 145-150. The inches are great because you look and feel better. When I think about the size I wore I was smaller in weight but probably not as toned. You can weigh 140 and be flabby or 150 and have a smaller waste and look better in your clothes.
  • sarahliftsUP
    sarahliftsUP Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    Yeah, when you think about it weight charts, BMI, etc can be ridiculous. It's generalizing everyone, weight isn't just black and weight, it is based on numerous factors.

My 'weight chart' said I could go from 127-148lbs at 5'5. I was 120lbs in high school and looking back in photos I was way too skinny. As someone mentioned before, you should weigh whatever makes you feel comfortable. I don't think I would look good at 127lbs.. ribs would be sticking out like mad! I think the best thing to do is disregard the scale (at some point, you have to) and go by if you like what you see when you look in the mirror.
  • miqisha
    miqisha Posts: 1,534 Member
    Options
    The charts online will drive you crazy, they dont take in account that each persons body is built differently. At 5' 3" the weight it states I should be wouldnt in anyway look good at me.

Just take it slowly, when you reach the weight you are happy at, you will know and you can stay at that weight

Goodluck
  • hallswan
    hallswan Posts: 90
    Options
    I am 5ft 11.5 - I weigh 176lbs - and I have bones sticking out on my ribs and round my neck and my collar bones - to the point my family tried an intervention! However - when I plug my figures into a BMI calculator - I am still around the 24 mark

Basically, these calculator do not take into account muscle mass and bone density, and I know from previous medicals that I have a really high bone density! which means that I almost have to disregard some of those calculators - and focus on my body fat etc.

My personal aim is to reach 170 - then I will be a UK size 12 with shape (tits and *kitten*) - then to maintain

I think you should go to weight that you are happy with - I also have to add - if you had asked me 3 - 4 months ago - I would have said I would be happy at 180 - so enjoy your journey and see where you get to

p.s. I think weight loss can be addictive!
  • SkyeBows
    SkyeBows Posts: 80
    Options
    I agree :) I Am 5'2 and a lot of charts have me as low as 100 or 105 and that's. Before babies I was a healthy 115 and I carry a lot in my chest the only time I have ever been under 110 was when I was anorexic and whats so healthy about that. I would give anything right now to be 130 and I'd look great! Even at 140 I looked good I have the hips now because of the kids and carry most my weight in my thighs and chest so at 140 I still look like I weigh less.
  • Panda86
    Panda86 Posts: 873
    Options
    Find a weight that you feel good at. Those internet sites don't take into account your build... My weight range is 104-140... What a HUGE gap! And I would look ridiculous at 104, even though I am 5'3".... So aim for a weight you feel good at, and that is enough. You are the one that has to live with it, after all! I am aiming for 120-130-ish :)
  • StuAblett
    StuAblett Posts: 1,141 Member
    Options
    Well, I'm not a girl, but I do notice a similar problem myself.

I'm also 5'11" tall and when I moved to Japan, I was in the best shape of my life, I weighted about 84Kg (13.25 Stone) and I had a body fat percentage about 14%. The BMI tool here at MFP says I should weigh 60kg (9.5 stone) to 81Kg (12.75 Stone). Now if I go halfway between those for an average, I'd be at 70.5 Kg (11.1 Stone). At those weights I'd be a twig, or a toothpic :noway:

My goal right now is to get back down to 85Kg (13.4 Stone) and see how that goes, maybe I can drop more weight after that, who knows, I'll keep eating right and running, and of course cycling too.

Now if you REALLY want to laugh, I go and read the charts for my height and weight here in Japan, they have me in the sub 60Kg group :noway: :noway: :noway: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I think these are all averages, you are going to have very slight people and much thicker people, think elves and dwarfs :bigsmile:

I remember one system where you measured the circumference of you wrist to put you in a category that was based on your body type/size...?

Cheers!
  • k2charmed4u
    Options
    p.s. I think weight loss can be addictive!

It is totally addictive, especially since joining here I'm watching myself all the time thinking, "Can I have that?" lol. But I like it, I like being able to control that part of my life which I didn't before.

But you are all right going to what size feels most comfortable to the individual is the way to do it I think. It's just so frustrating at times that you can work your *kitten* off losing so much weight and still have all these statistics thrown at you still knocking you back and saying you're still overweight. It's insulting when you know you've achieved so much. (rant over :blushing: ) lol
  • StuAblett
    StuAblett Posts: 1,141 Member
    Options
    I just looked and found this site......

http://www.dietandfitnesstoday.com/bodyFrame.php

I figured out I'm a medium frame :smile:

I guess cause I've been fat most of my life I thought I was LARGE framed :wink:

Maybe I'll have to reset my goal downwards :bigsmile:
  • ProTFitness
    ProTFitness Posts: 1,379 Member
    Options
    Im a shortie :-) But I know you know your body and how it looks and how you feel it looks. Maybe adding some lean muscle will help with that look you are concerned with. I have seen some tall lean tone women at the gym and they look great with the lean muscle mass. I am eveious a littlle. If I put to much weight on or muscle mass on I look start looking like a DUDE! LOL :bigsmile: You know your balance find it and stay with it. Every human is differnt
  • TateFTW
    TateFTW Posts: 658 Member
    Options
    If you're going by BMI then you'll have that issue. I'm a 6' tall guy. I currently weigh 216, which according to BMI means I'm really overweight, which just isn't true. A healthy weight for me based on BMI is 170 lbs. I don't even WANT to weigh that little. Not even close. With my shoulders and thicker natural build, I'd have to lose quite a bit of muscle to get that light. I'd be sickly for sure.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    BMI is a valuable tool for describing and analyzing large population groups--it is a poor tool for determining what a single individual should weigh. Unfortunately, BMI gets a bad rap because it is misused.

Like many other subjects, the first step in determining an "ideal" body weight is to define your goals and terms.

In other words, what criteria are being used to determine "ideal"?

1. Lowest health risk?

2. Satisfactory body image?

3. Professional goals?

4. Athletic performance?

The "ideal" body weight, or body fat % for someone whose main goal is #4, for example, would be vastly different than #1.

In addition, the subject of "ideal body weight" is not entirely an objective one. We all have personal feelings about our body image--sometimes these feelings are not entirely rational. There are also ideological and political factors that enter into the discussion as well.

And, lastly, our bodies are all made differently, with different patterns of fat distribution, proportions, etc.

In my experience, one cannot even begin to have a substantive discussion about one's "ideal" body weight unless you have some idea of your frame size/lean body mass. Without knowing your BF%, no doctor or health professional can give you meaningful counseling on your body weight--and many individuals end up clueless as well.

Ultimately, I counsel people on picking a weight "target" that is based on both objective and subjective measurements. Objective: find out your body fat percentage and lean body mass; also determine your goals and criteria. Subjective: within a "healthy" range, determine the body image and size you are comfortable with. I also think you have to be honest with yourself about your body type--e.g. if you tend to store fat around the middle, you are always going to be bigger in that area.
  • k2charmed4u
    Options
    I just looked and found this site......

http://www.dietandfitnesstoday.com/bodyFrame.php

I figured out I'm a medium frame :smile:

I guess cause I've been fat most of my life I thought I was LARGE framed :wink:

Maybe I'll have to reset my goal downwards :bigsmile:

Thanks for the link. I checked it out. It turns out i'm a large frame which I guessed as much with my shoulders and hips. But i'll have to see what size looks best for me (as I lose it) :wink:
  • GooBeGone
    GooBeGone Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    for my height of 5'5.5" (abt 167cm?) it says i whould weigh 144lbs max. umm.. no i don't think so. :noway: i'd also look anorexic. :huh: i wanna b fit, not freakin skinny...:grumble: i'm shooting for 160lbs, i like my curves & i intend 2 keep them :happy: