Breakfast Portion Distortion Nightmare

Options
Hello fellow MFPers.

So I've been on this site for over a month now, logging my food and exercise honestly, if not terribly accurately.
I've logged everything I've eaten, but been guessing the weights.

Now for some things I can guess pretty darn well, eg I have a packet of cheese that says 250g and I ate a quarter of it, so that is 60g (or near enough)
For others it doesn't really matter, eg. a cup of carrot slices. Was my cup bigger than the MFP cup? Is it more like a cup and a half? Either way, there's only 50ish calories in a cup of carrot slices, I'd have a difficult time going over my calorie allowance due to too many carrots.

But today I actually weighed my breakfast cereal. Put my usual portion in the bowl, then tipped it onto the scales. What I've been logging as a standard 45g portion is actually nearer to 70g! Similar story for milk, what I assumed was 125ml is about 200ml. Doesn't sound like a huge deal right? Its 150claories different. If I overate by that much every day it amounts to approx 15lbs of fat gain per year. =0

I'm going to weigh my porridge tomorrow and see how many calories I ACTUALLY eat most mornings.

My Point (its been a long time coming) is that I need to log A LOT more accurately if I want to use MFP to actually lose weight. Because I'm probably missing 300-500 calories a day through portion distortion and that's most of my deficit gone! No wonder I'm losing weight at a snail's pace!
(plus I can't say no to pizza!)

Replies

• yksdoris
    yksdoris Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    ah, pizza...

I had toko (Indonesian food) yesterday. I put it in calories as about a thousand but I'm afraid it's more as I dont' know exactly what they cook with. However, it's a family-owned place and the food is delicious so who cares if I'm diligent on most other days :D

as for portion sizes and things you eat: you get used to the reduced size surprisingly quickly. But you're right, it's important to know just how much of something you eat if it's in your routine. It doesn't meant that you have to change your routine necessarily - you could change other things instead - but it's definitely best to know!

The thing is, with excercise and logging most of your calories correctly you'll probably still lose the weight; however once you hit maintenance and want to ease up on the calories and you're underestimating what you're actually eating, THEN youhave a problem.
  • freemystery
    freemystery Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    THIS!

My breakfast regularly tops 400 cals and that is for a small bowl. 45g and 125mls of milk... 230 cals. HOW?! I think for 240ish cals I could eat a 3 egg omelette that would not have me ravenous an hour later. And you know that is a positively tiny bowl, so small I can make a bigger sized bowl by cupping my hands together. This tiny bowl of sugar free muesli. The most drab healthy sawdusty thing. So now I just want to eat it and get rid of it and NEVER buy it again!

Yes I have only just learned this about three weeks ago. What the heck was I doing until then... 5-600 thoughtless cals.

In fact I'm really glad you said this because I thought it was me, seriously I was checking labels thinking 'no, they can't mean this many cals per serving, it must be per 100g... no there must be a typo, the food database must be off...'

As a result I'm basically going to the dark nerdy place where I weigh EVERYTHING. I want to know!
  • Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options
    I weigh my porridge (or rather the uncooked oats) every now and then, and most of the time I estimate it. I usually have a dessertspoon of coarse oatmeal. I then add other things to it. If I want to check how much I'm having, I put the bowl on the scales and then zero it before adding the spoonful of oats. Then I zero before adding each ingredient (oat bran, dried fruit, chopped nuts, seeds, etc.), and count it all up and put it into MFP as a recipe. Then I just try to put the same amounts in every day by eyeballing them or counting them (e.g. my apricot porridge allows for 2 dried apricots).

I know just what you mean about cereal portions. I very occasionally have Fruit n Fibre, and I have a 30g portion. I'm used to it now, but it looks TINY when you first weigh it out! Again, the easiest way to do it is to put the bowl on the scales and zero it, but I'm also pretty good at estimating now.

With milk I've just checked how much I've used out of the milk carton by the end of the day, and every day, I add an amount which I know covers it (200 ml, although I don't usually use quite that much), then only add extra if I have more than usual. With cereal, again, I've got used to seeing what it looks like in the bowl (I only use a tiny bit).

So I think it's fine to estimate BUT you must have a really good visual idea of how much your portion is, and not try to sneak some extra in just because you're not weighing (I say this because I'm tempted to do this - lol!). And I do think you need to start off with weighing so that you can get the idea in your head - either what it looks like at the bottom of the bowl, or a spoonful, or how many nuts, etc.
  • Faery_Dust
    Faery_Dust Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I now weigh everything because I did exactly the same with my breakfast cereal. I was logging my Weetabix minis as 40g with skimmed milk. I then bought some kitchen scales and actually weighed my regular portion, and it was almost 80g!!!

At over 200 cals it was seriously eating in to my defecit.
  • Delicate
    Delicate Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I found if i used big bowls or plates i would tend to fill them up, cause the normal portion looks tiny

So think you should use smaller dishes :)
  • oceanblue07970
    oceanblue07970 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Smaller plates is definitely the way to go - we have 3/4 size plates and the food looks so much more on the plate which makes your brain think there is more - Result!
  • lyndausvi
    lyndausvi Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    So far my food scale has been my single most important purchase in this journey. It was a real eye-opener. Some things I was over eating, yet many veggies I was way under estimating.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Yeah you got to weigh everything. I'm pretty good at eyeballing (really... I was eyeballing cereal right before I got a scale, believe it or not, lol), but I still weigh everything. Even that 1/4 of a cheese package might actually be more, as the total amount of servings in a box/bag/package are often off.
  • luan999
    luan999 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    i know how you feel!
    today i fancied something different for my breakfast instead of oatmeal or a smoothie..so i decided on some crispy oat bran cereal that i had bought but never tried...looked up on mfp to see calorie content...30g was 122cal....well, 30g was absolutely tiny portion so i weighed out 90g!...366 calories and that was before i added some fat free greek style coconut flavoured yoghurt, mixed seeds, few almonds, chia seeds and few almonds...think my total calories for my healthy breakfast was 600!!!! omg!...it was nice tho and it filled me up all morning lol!!!:wink:
  • pcastagner
    pcastagner Posts: 1,606 Member
    Options
    Good thing you got the scale going before asking here for advice. Because 8/10 answers would be "you need to eat more".
  • emergencytennis
    emergencytennis Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    A month is not a long time in the weight loss world.

You should be losing at a snail's pace, as you have so little to lose.

Over-estimating your cereal is not a nightmare.

I'm glad you have got your portion sizes under control.

:)
  • stef_monster
    stef_monster Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I have to weigh everything I eat. I don't know if my measuring cups have false bottoms or what, but I've found that measuring by volume is really no more accurate than 'eyeballing' in my case. I thought that having so much experience baking (where the measurements have to be fairly precise), my portions would be spot-on. Quaker says that 1/2 cup of oatmeal-or 40g- is a serving. Let me tell you, my 1/2 cup is NOT their 1/2 cup. Mine weighs in closer to 60 or 70g! After eating oatmeal every day for months and months, that scared me into being more diligent with weighing dry ingredients (rice, pasta, quinoa, nuts, chips, etc). I'm much more lax with weighing veggies, though. I steam, bake, or saute them in cooking spray, adding almost no calories, so anything under 1 cup or 100g usually isn't counted.

The food scale is probably the kitchen gadget I use the most. I can't live without it now, haha!
  • Janet_andpie
    Options
    Thank you for all the kind and helpful responses everyone. I'm glad I'm not the only one who's accidentally under estimated their food.

I measured my oats for porridge yesterday, and have been eating 50g, not 40g, which is a much smaller miscalculation, so I'm a bit less worried now.

I like the idea of having smaller plates and bowls. Gives me an excuse to dig out my Lion King bowl and plate from when I was a kid. They're at the back of the cupboard somewhere.... =)
  • trisH_7183
    trisH_7183 Posts: 1,486 Member
    Options
    I measure most food UNTILL I can tell by looking just how much it is I keep old faithfully measuring cups & spoons on the counter,ready to go.Works for me.

PS,use metal spoons/cups if you can. They don't allow more to be added,as plastic does.
  • freemystery
    freemystery Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    There was a really interesting segment in Morgan Spurlock's Supersize Me which was on how portion sizes at McDonalds have changed dramatically over the last 50 or so years. So every time I think I'm depriving myself just because restaurant or cafe food portions look so different, I remind myself of that segment.

It basically went that what we now consider to be a kid's serving, whether it's a burger or fries or soda, back then it was the adult size portion. So it's not like for like. People are getting bigger because the expectations of what a meal should look like is getting bigger. Plates are bigger. Cups are bigger etc.
    The first few weeks were weird and I found myself hungry or wanting food because I expected to eat more at meals. Now I'm starting to adjust... thank heavens!
  • FlabFighter86
    FlabFighter86 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I eat Weetabix to get round the portion nightmare of having to weigh everything. Plus it's one of the few cereals that is low in sugar, then pile it up with berries.
  • PheonixRizing
    PheonixRizing Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I measure everything. Measuring cups are really useful because it is really easy if your eyeballing things to be way off. MFP uses the standard measuring systems so a cup....is a cup. Now could it be that maybe there is an extra half strawberry in there that makes its stick out of the cup?? Sure but like you said who is going to get fat over 1 or 2 extra strawberries? Nobody. But I find that it keeps me honest with myself about what I'm putting in my face. I wouldn't beat yourself up too much though... it was a shock to me when I started paying attention to the amount of calories I was actually consuming, it happens.

Good luck to you.
  • IAteBethDitto
    IAteBethDitto Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I work in a molecular biology lab and have been baking for years. I'm a great estimator of certain things, such as whether one volume of a substance will fit into a container of a particular volume.

But I've learned that my estimation by eye of reagent and foodstuff quantities is usually incredibly inaccurate. I even did a little experiment among my colleagues to see if they were any better. All of us were way out.

Also I've noticed that estimates are vulnerable to other biases. This results in portion creep over time.

So basically I don't ever fool myself that I can accurately eyeball judge what I eat. If I can weigh it, I do weigh it.

Having said all that, being too anally retentive about weights and measures does make a person anxious. So it's probably best to look for a happy medium (as estimated by eye, of course).
  • IAteBethDitto
    IAteBethDitto Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Now that's the sort of solution I like!

If you scoff a third Weetabix then it's impossible to persuade yourself that you've only had two.
  • Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options
    There was a really interesting segment in Morgan Spurlock's Supersize Me which was on how portion sizes at McDonalds have changed dramatically over the last 50 or so years. So every time I think I'm depriving myself just because restaurant or cafe food portions look so different, I remind myself of that segment.

It basically went that what we now consider to be a kid's serving, whether it's a burger or fries or soda, back then it was the adult size portion. So it's not like for like. People are getting bigger because the expectations of what a meal should look like is getting bigger. Plates are bigger. Cups are bigger etc.
    The first few weeks were weird and I found myself hungry or wanting food because I expected to eat more at meals. Now I'm starting to adjust... thank heavens!

You know the portion size changes that is most striking to me? Coffee! Seriously, you can't go into a cafe and get a CUP of coffee any more. If you ask for a small coffee you get a mug-sized portion in an oversized cup. And pay the price for it! I know there's hardly any calories in coffee, but still ... if you add calories (milk, sugar), etc., you're going to be adding twice as much as you would with a normal-sized cup. I don't worry about and rarely have a coffee out, but when I do I always wish there was a smaller portion size - partly because I don't like to have too much caffeine.