Nourishing Traditions? Anyone Read it?

Options
Just curious if anyone has read Nourishing Traditions by Sally Fallon and Mary Enig? Was it worth the read? I am thinking about picking it up from the library, but I am curious if anyone has put any of the recommendations in the book into practice?

Replies

• thinking_thinly
    thinking_thinly Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Anyone?
  • Sadore
    Sadore Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I have read it, and we incorporate a lot of it into our diet. We've loosely followed NT for quite a while, and I'd say it's definitely worth the read if you are looking to expand your real foods diet.
  • endoftheside
    endoftheside Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    I've read it and still own a copy. I agree with most of the ideas but in reality I found it extremely time consuming and when I paged through it just now I can't say that I am currently doing anything from it. Homemade stocks, no. Fermented beverages, no. Cultured dairy products, no. Soaking, no. Sprouting, no (though I do like the Ezekiel sprouted bread).

Some people jump in with both feet and are making their own kombucha in a month. My dietary preferences change excruciatingly slowly, so that probably has something to do with it.

Nothing to lose from checking it out from the library. Way too much to get through in a checkout timeframe but you could see if it would be worth buying for you.
  • Sadore
    Sadore Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I agree that it's time consuming and a lot to take in. We brew kombucha, soak, sprout, drink raw milk, use real fats, ferment veggies, make bone broths, and make cheese and yogurt from our raw milk, Otherwise, I'm still getting through it!
  • DesdemonaRose
    Options
    It would be a interesting read, but I wouldn't recommend following it ALL to the letter. They follow some pretty questionable "science." The idea of eating natural is great and there are some interesting reciepies in it. However, their "you don't really need water," message is bad. They also get a lot of heat from Breast Feeding support groups because they seem to market their baby formula as being haelthier than breast milk (only in their wildest dreams).
  • momzeeee
    momzeeee Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    I read it years ago when I was going through my 'whole foods' phase :) Not going to knock it, but it's a very time consuming plan, at least for me. I've found a better fit eating a primal leaning diet. Different things for different folks :drinker: