Why lifting works!

Options
So I was the same as many women on here, afraid to eat higher calories, and afraid of the number on the scale. I was a cardio queen for years! Completed almost 2 full rounds of Turbofire, and completed Insanity without losing an inch or pound. I realized that it was time to change. Two months ago I started lifting free weights and eating 1600-1800 calories on lifting days, and more when I add in cardio. Granted I'm up ten pounds, but I'm not too upset because this is happening to my body:

This was at 145 and not lifting..
AmandaFrontJan13-2_zps4c7a623e.jpg

This is at 155 and lifting 3-4 days a week, with a dash of cardio..
0624131719c-1_zpsbb054206.jpg

Granted I still have work to do, but this comes to show that numbers on the scale shouldn't control your life. Yes I still have a goal of 130, I still get upset when I see the scale going the opposite direction, and I still eat crappy food sometimes.. but it's progress. We're all human, and will slip up so life is too short to stress about those things. I conquered my fear of weights and high calories, and it was for the best!

Replies

• I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    Nice work!
  • CRichards22
    CRichards22 Posts: 120
    Options
    So proud of you! GREAT job!!! :drinker:
  • lowpro1983
    lowpro1983 Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    so happy to see results from lifting!!! i can't wait to see my own results. great job, you look great!!!
  • TurboFireMama
    TurboFireMama Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    You look amazing!! Congrats on your hard work!!! Inspiring!!
  • fitandgeeky
    fitandgeeky Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Excellent work! I love seeing women who aren't afraid to eat and lift heavy things.
  • jessileak
    jessileak Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    You look fabulous! Thanks for sharing your story and keep up the hard work!! :happy:
  • jdraugho
    jdraugho Posts: 5
    Options
    Great job!

Yup, lifting works and at end of the day. Go by how you look in the mirror, how your clothes fit and your body fat percentage.
  • msjames1999
    msjames1999 Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    NIce work!!
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    Looking great! :drinker:
  • jamers3111
    jamers3111 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    WOOOOOOOO!!!!! :bigsmile:
  • Iron_Lotus
    Iron_Lotus Posts: 2,295 Member
    Options
    Good stuff!
  • gwhizeh
    gwhizeh Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Awesome work. And looking great!
  • kathymhardy
    kathymhardy Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Great work. You are doing really well!
  • vocalskier
    vocalskier Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    That is awesome!! Keep it up!
  • KodAkuraMacKyen
    KodAkuraMacKyen Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    Awesome difference! Congrats!
  • silvergurl518
    silvergurl518 Posts: 4,123 Member
    Options
    thanks for showing us (even though many of *do* want to see the scale go in a downward trend) that the number on the scale shouldn't matter! i am in love with my arms right now :) they are strong and powerful!
  • SimpleThingsInLife
    Options
    Great job!
  • Anthonydaman
    Anthonydaman Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    it's so awesome to see more ladies getting after the iron. Congrats on your great work!
  • MinimalistShoeAddict
    MinimalistShoeAddict Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    Nice work!
  • downinaggieland98
    downinaggieland98 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I am so glad you posted this. I lift heavy and I am up around 12lbs and in a smaller size. I had to really keep pushing myself when I saw that number on the scale go up and thought about stopping, but it does pay off.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!