Saggy Skin

Options
So I have devoloped an irrational fear of having saggy skin when I finish losing my weight. (thank google images) I read that if you have stretch marks then you are definately going to have saggy skin. Its this true and are there any way to avoid it? I want to advoid having to get surgery since I know I would like a child someday.

FYI I'm 24 and need to lose 100lbs.

Replies

• rockinmomto3
    rockinmomto3 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    From what I've seen, the only way you're going to get saggy skin is if you do something like gastric bypass or lap band, and don't excercise. To avoid saggy skin, you need to do strength as well as cardio. I have some sagging skin, but it's from 3 pregnancies in 5 years, so I'm working on shrinking that, and making it go away completely.
  • dale49
    dale49 Posts: 37
    Options
    Saggy skin is far less of a worry at your age as young skin is far more elastic. I have a couple of problem areas and according to a cosmetic surgeon it's all due to my age. (I'm still on the fence about some surgery on my tummy and upper thighs but we'll see once I reach goal.
    At your age I'd suggest that you exercise vigorously, drink lots of water- along with eating well - in order to eliminate the need for pricey (and potentially risky) surgery. It's a small price to pay for nice tight skin once your weihgt comes off.
    But even if your skin does sag....it's preferable to diabetes or high blood pressure associated with obesity, right? We need to keep health as the number one goal! Good luck and smart of you to tackle this at a young age!!
  • iDreamNEON
    iDreamNEON Posts: 112
    Options
    Hey hun! You know I have a fear of saggy skin but I'm hoping weight training will minimize it. Also if you're into taking vitamins you can try msm capsules. I'm not too into popping any sort of pills so I use the msm soap and I try to keep my skin moisturized. [I Would Use The MSM Cream as well but i think I have waaaay too much ground to cover for just the small oz jars they usually sell.] I recommend palmer's cocoa butter or the palmer's formulated for stretch marks.
  • Joyjmb
    Joyjmb Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I accept that I may have saggy skin as a remnant of my party with food. It sucks, for sure, but if that is what is keeping you from losing the weight, we have to get out the wet noodle! Treat your skin in such a way that it retains as much elasticity as possible - water, water, water and hydrating lotions (cocoa butter, shea, etc) You might also try a stretch mark reducer like Strivectin. The posters above are totally right - weight training!
  • Nina74
    Nina74 Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    I try to rationalize with myself. Although things will most likely be different after losing 100 lbs, I've lost 20 so far, I've strength trained, drank a ton of water, exfoliated & moisturized every day and lost weight slowly. I've done all of the "right" things. So far I've lost 3 inches off each of my thighs and there is no saggy skin there---so I try to rationalize to myself- 3 inches is a lot, and while 10 inches might be the final goal, if i'm 25% there or what not and there is no sign of saggy skin, I'm doing ok. Same goes for other parts of my body (namely my boobs) where I have lost 3-4 inches overall, but through strength training they are :blushing: perky again, like when I was 25. Not a hint of saggy skin. Although this isn't my final goal, I keep reminding myself of these things.

Or at least that is how I calm my OCD mind. :tongue:
  • Maggie1960
    Maggie1960 Posts: 322
    Options
    From what I know - I'm a nurse and have done some work with bariatric patients in the past - it's rapid weight loss on a very low calorie diet that causes the majority of problems with saggy skin. Losing weight slowly and sensibly including all the right food groups and regular exercise should ensure your skin shrinks as the fat slowly goes.
  • NH_1970
    NH_1970 Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    I've had two friends lose a lot of weight, and keep their goal for over 2+ years, The only place that it is even noticeable now and I was like let me see your belly! but there's none really there, their upper arms have a little extra whooshy looking skin to it, but it's nothing bad at all, it just looks a little loose if you're standing there and you would know to look. But also these are women who are +35-+40 which makes a difference, and also neither of them really drank the recommended amount of water through their weight loss, and were pretty much diet soda drinkers during it.
  • kidakiwi04
    kidakiwi04 Posts: 238
    Options
    Thanks you guys. I think I just saw some pictures and just kinda freaked out. I know its shallow but I really didn't want to finally be able to wear a bathing suit and have saggy skin everywhere. But I will take every ones advice to heart and try not to worry so much about because in the end its about be healthy and that's that.
  • Maggie1960
    Maggie1960 Posts: 322
    Options
    As long as you lose weight slowly and healthily and don't embark on a very low calorie diet to shed the pounds as rapidly as possible, you should be fine.