Opinions on Bicycle

Options
I don't know anything about bikes and I am getting one to ride to work. I was going to get a cruiser bike because I don't have bad hills I will have to battle. If anyone has any advice they could provide that would be awesome.

Replies

• Irockursocks87
    Irockursocks87 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I just got a bike and the seat was extremely uncomfortable, actually painful to ride. Try to get one with a wider seat, or invest in one of those seat cushions.
  • Sean_The_IT_Guy
    Options
    About seats: Whatever bike you buy, go to a local bike shop and be properly fitted for a bike seat. The gel cushions feel good at first, but having that gel press up into your bits over a long ride eventually leads to bruises and nerve damage. The seat SHOULD be relatively firm, because you want your weight to be supported by your 'sit bones', where the femurs engage the pelvis. If you use a seat that's too small or too soft, you'll have 'taint bruising', which (in men) can lead to erectile dysfunction and all kinds of generally nasty stuff for men or women.

Women tend to have a wider pelvis than men, so a generic seat probably won't fit you, unless you've got a particularly narrow frame.

A good bike shop will have you sit on a piece of gear with some memory foam or something like that, then measure the distance between your bum bone dents and be able to fit you up a saddle appropriately.

I'd recommend buying the whole bike from a local bike shop, because the "bicycle shaped objects" they sell at walmart and sporting goods stores make biking a chore, not a delight. Biking should feel like flying, not like trying to pedal an ox cart up a hill, and the difference in build quality between a Specialized, Giant, Norco, or any other 'real' bike brand and a SuperCycle is enormous. It's an investment, but it's an investment in your health and happiness, because a cheap bike will probably require work or replacement in a year or two, while a good Bike Shop bike will last a decade or more with only needing minor work, like cleaning and brake pads.
  • lpatriquin
    lpatriquin Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    About seats: Whatever bike you buy, go to a local bike shop and be properly fitted for a bike seat. The gel cushions feel good at first, but having that gel press up into your bits over a long ride eventually leads to bruises and nerve damage. The seat SHOULD be relatively firm, because you want your weight to be supported by your 'sit bones', where the femurs engage the pelvis. If you use a seat that's too small or too soft, you'll have 'taint bruising', which (in men) can lead to erectile dysfunction and all kinds of generally nasty stuff for men or women.

Women tend to have a wider pelvis than men, so a generic seat probably won't fit you, unless you've got a particularly narrow frame.

A good bike shop will have you sit on a piece of gear with some memory foam or something like that, then measure the distance between your bum bone dents and be able to fit you up a saddle appropriately.

I'd recommend buying the whole bike from a local bike shop, because the "bicycle shaped objects" they sell at walmart and sporting goods stores make biking a chore, not a delight. Biking should feel like flying, not like trying to pedal an ox cart up a hill, and the difference in build quality between a Specialized, Giant, Norco, or any other 'real' bike brand and a SuperCycle is enormous. It's an investment, but it's an investment in your health and happiness, because a cheap bike will probably require work or replacement in a year or two, while a good Bike Shop bike will last a decade or more with only needing minor work, like cleaning and brake pads.

I wholeheartedly agree with this comment. Enough cannot be said about purchasing a properly fitted bike and seat. More expensive but if you want cycling to be enjoyable, you won't regret it!
  • ssami_89
    ssami_89 Posts: 79
    Options

Thank you this was helpful.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,249 Member
    Options
    The best advice I can offer is to find a good local bike shop and spend some time looking over some of the commuter, hybrid, or cruiser bikes they may have. You should be able test ride a few bikes to try them for yourself. A local bike shop may cost a little more than ordering on-line but most offer value added services like tune ups & adjustment after the sale (plus there's value in taking advantage of their knowledge)

Buy the best bike that you can afford. A well made bike with good components will give you years of service, a cheap big box store bike is likely to be heading to the trash heap more quickly (usually very poor quality components and quite often they're assembled incorrectly)

Fit is very important (most bike shops will do at least a s basic fit for you and will often make minor adjustments afterward at no extra charge) for both comfort and mechanical efficiency.

It may take your sit bones a little while if you haven't ridden in a long time, give the saddle that comes with the bike a chance - if need be you can always upgrade that.

Remember, when you're operating a bicycle you're operating a vehicle. Obey traffic laws and ride defensively (I always assume everyone in a car is trying to kill me). Even if you're not riding at night pick up a white LED light for the front of your bike and a red LED light for the rear, I ride with my lights both on flash mode even during daylight hours - I want motorists to see me. (Check out some of the Planet Bike products, they're not very expensive and very visible)

Have fun!
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Cruisers are not good for any sort of distance. It's not about the hills, it's about the "sit up and beg" position. Although an upright posture and a cushy seat feel good at first, a position in which your arms do some of the work really saves your behind and nether regions in the long term, as does a stiff, supportive seat.

That said, a flat-back road bike with drop handle bars is not great for driving in traffic since it's hard to look up. Something in between, where the seat is roughly level with the handlebars, is your best bet.

Essentially, you would do best with a hybrid.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    How long is the ride to work?

First priority should be comfort, which is about the type of bike (think about how your body is positioned on different bikes - the more upright you are, the more comfortable you'll be) but also about how the bike fits you (too big, too small, just right).

After that, everything else are pretty minor details. The closer you get to a road bike the faster the bike will be (but generally at the expense of comfort). 2 things worth considering are 1) do you need to carry anything with you to/from work? If so, how will you do that? Something like a backpack can work, or you can get racks for the bike. 2) if you buy the bike from a department store, it's worth taking it to a bike shop and have them look it over to make sure everything is assembled correctly, everything is tight and secure, etc.
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    As far as seats go, spend $100 on a Brooks B17 S (women's) - leather saddles break in and conform to your shape and I'd rather have a $100 bike with a Brooks saddle than a $500 bike with anything else.

41v0F4JsVHL.jpg
  • jacksonpt
    Options
    Cruisers are not good for any sort of distance. It's not about the hills, it's about the "sit up and beg" position. Although an upright posture and a cushy seat feel good at first, a position in which your arms do some of the work really saves your behind and nether regions in the long term, as does a stiff, supportive seat.
    Cruisers are great for a lot of situations and a lot of people.

That said, a flat-back road bike with drop handle bars is not great for driving in traffic since it's hard to look up. Something in between, where the seat is roughly level with the handlebars, is your best bet.
    Really? last I checked, my head is always up and I'm always looking around. Regardless of the type of bike I'm on.
  • toutmonpossible
    toutmonpossible Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    Developing a relationship with a bike shop is an excellent idea, but you should also look into bicycle organizations. My city has one and I attended a 90 minute lecture on "How to Buy a Bike." It's a complex decision. If you're commuting, you generally will concerned with things like:

Comfort (affected by the frame and tires and the seat)

Access (The style with the slanted bar is easier to get on and off.)

Weight (Will you be taking this bike on public transportation ever? )

Cleanliness and safety of ride (you may want shields to keep dirt from splashing up on your clothes or to protect your skirt from getting caught)

Carrying capacity (holders on the front or on the sides for bags).

I asked about a book, but at the time there didn't seem to be a great one. Maybe that has changed.

In cities, folding bikes are popular. Titanium framed bikes are much lighter, but they're more expensive and if they're damaged they cant be repaired.

Don't forget to wear a helmet and to invest in a good lock. I was told that a group called something like Safe Streets has good videos on proper locking technique.
  • toutmonpossible
    Options
    Cruisers are great for a lot of situations and a lot of people.

Really? last I checked, my head is always up and I'm always looking around. Regardless of the type of bike I'm on.

Bikes designed for commuting, used by the major bike share programs, have the upright handle bars.
  • ssami_89
    Options

First priority should be comfort, which is about the type of bike (think about how your body is positioned on different bikes - the more upright you are, the more comfortable you'll be) but also about how the bike fits you (too big, too small, just right).

After that, everything else are pretty minor details. The closer you get to a road bike the faster the bike will be (but generally at the expense of comfort). 2 things worth considering are 1) do you need to carry anything with you to/from work? If so, how will you do that? Something like a backpack can work, or you can get racks for the bike. 2) if you buy the bike from a department store, it's worth taking it to a bike shop and have them look it over to make sure everything is assembled correctly, everything is tight and secure, etc.

It's 4 miles to work.
  • toutmonpossible
    Options
    The best advice I can offer is to find a good local bike shop and spend some time looking over some of the commuter, hybrid, or cruiser bikes they may have. You should be able test ride a few bikes to try them for yourself. A local bike shop may cost a little more than ordering on-line but most offer value added services like tune ups & adjustment after the sale (plus there's value in taking advantage of their knowledge)

Buy the best bike that you can afford. A well made bike with good components will give you years of service, a cheap big box store bike is likely to be heading to the trash heap more quickly (usually very poor quality components and quite often they're assembled incorrectly)

Fit is very important (most bike shops will do at least a s basic fit for you and will often make minor adjustments afterward at no extra charge) for both comfort and mechanical efficiency.

It may take your sit bones a little while if you haven't ridden in a long time, give the saddle that comes with the bike a chance - if need be you can always upgrade that.

Remember, when you're operating a bicycle you're operating a vehicle. Obey traffic laws and ride defensively (I always assume everyone in a car is trying to kill me). Even if you're not riding at night pick up a white LED light for the front of your bike and a red LED light for the rear, I ride with my lights both on flash mode even during daylight hours - I want motorists to see me. (Check out some of the Planet Bike products, they're not very expensive and very visible)

Have fun!

Excellent advice. At the lecture I attended on buying a bike they also recommended buying from a shop and not from a big box store or online source because you won't get the service you need.

Some cities have organizations like Freecycle that donate bikes. You could try to find one or find one on Craigslist if you want to experiment before buying a new bicycle.
  • WanderingLass
    WanderingLass Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I don't know anything about bikes and I am getting one to ride to work. I was going to get a cruiser bike because I don't have bad hills I will have to battle. If anyone has any advice they could provide that would be awesome.

Get thee to a bike shop. Talk to them IN DEPTH about your experience; your commute; what you will be taking with you (panniers are far more managable than a backpack or front basket). Try several bikes - they will get the right fit tweaked. Ask for recommendations -- as someone else said, look at bicycle groups in the area.

MyHoney has commuted via bike for nearly 30 years -- and the biggest things to watch are, as in everything, ergonomics. Your body will get better every day and as such tweaking will be needed and a good bike shop will tweak fit at no or minimal charge depending on what's required.

Get the best bike you can afford -- just like a car, with proper maintenance it will last you a very, very long time.

eta: He always says the difference between a properly-fitted bike and one "off the rack" is the difference between "I'm going to go ride my bike!!" and "Oh, I should probably go for a bike ride....." He's right. Even with a handlebar adjustment of 1/4" and a seat adjustment of 1/8" on my bike, the difference was huge in hand comfort and knee comfort for me.
  • LadyPakal
    LadyPakal Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I'm not going to talk about bikes, but about your bum. It will hurt when you first start - get some padded cycle shorts - your backside will thank you. You'll be able to do without them eventually but unless you like walking bandy, get a bit of padding!
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,249 Member
    Options
    How timely, this showed up in my FB news feed (tips from active.com o what to look for in a good bike shop)

http://www.active.com/cycling/Articles/What-to-Look-for-in-a-Good-Bike-Shop.htm?cmp=17-1-4843
  • jacksonpt
    Options

It's 4 miles to work.

4 miles, little to no hills... you can pretty much get away with whatever you want. If it's just for a little exercise getting to work, then I'd look for something with smooth road tires (not knobby trail tires) and flat handlbars - hybrids, cruisers, whatever. You could put smooth tires on a mountain bike for even more comfort, or go with a skinny tire and either flat or drop bars for a bit more speed/performance.

If your budget allows, I definitely encourage you to try out bikes at a local bike shop and buy from them. If not, department store bikes are fine too, just make sure it's properly assembled.

Also, considering your intended use, it should be pretty easy to find something used. If you go used, I absolutely suggest taking it to a bike shop for a tune-up and a once-over... should cost you about $50, or at least that what the 2 shops I go to charge.
  • ssami_89
    Options
    These posts were very helpful!