Pizzas on the Grill

Options
Does anyone know anything about pizzas on the grill? My uncle sometimes uses tortilla shells (even the mini ones to individualize the pizza). However, I haven't tried it. I love pepperoni pizza. Unfortunately it's no longer on my agenda considering I have high cholesterol and need to lose weight. I've tried turkey pepperoni but to no avail. I know I shouldn't be picky all things considered.. But I just can't do turkey pepperoni. It doesn't taste the same and to me the texture is even different. I love chicken, though.. I actually thought about maybe trying a BBQ chicken pizza on the grill.

Does anyone have any good recipes or experience?

Replies

• kr1stadee
    kr1stadee Posts: 1,774 Member
    Options
    I did it while camping. I put tin foil over the BBQ, used tortillas.. the kids made their pizzas and then I put them on. They were great but cooked a little funny (from the outside in), so they almost started to burn around the edges.

Chicken on the pizza is GOOD!

So is ham and pineapple (but there's a lot of sodium in ham, just watch it)
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Fleischmann' Pizza Crust yeast ..... 1 step ..... easy. You can even add some wheat flour to bump up the fiber

http://www.pizzacrustyeast.com/

http://www.pizzacrustyeast.com/search.aspx?search=grilled

The thing with grilled pizza .... the toppings need to be pretty light. The toppings should be lower fat to prevent "flare-ups." You roll out your dough. I use a big sheet of foil. Even better .... try mini pizzas .... they will be easier to handle. You cook on one side first, this makes the dough easier to work with. Then you add your toppings to the pre-cooked side & then grill the raw side to let the toppings cook a bit.

I like a teriyaki chicken pizza (with pineapple & cheddar) & a thai chicken pizza (peanut sauce, pre-sauteed veggies & mozzarella).

Here's a video: http://allrecipes.com/video/1176/grilled-sausage-and-pepper-pizza/detail.aspx?e11=grilled pizza&e8=Quick Search&event10=1&event8=1&prop24=SR_Showcase&e7=Recipe
  • stephysd
    stephysd Posts: 2,410 Member
    Options
    We made them the other night. We did not have tomato sauce, so we used hummus before applying our toppings. Toppings used were canadian bacon, red bell pepper, onion, jalapeno, black olives and mushrooms with fresh Parmesan cheese. They were delish. The kids had fun and made monster faces with their toppings. Helps get them excited for their veggies.
  • Glock9x19
    Glock9x19 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I do pizzas on the charcoal grill often. I get my toppings ready (brown the hamburger, chop onions and green peppers), make the crust, and get ready beause it's quick. Brush crust with olive oil and put directly on the grill surface for 2-4 min covered. Then I brush the top with olive oil, pull it off, flip it over (onto a cookie sheet) and spread the sauce, toppings and cheese onto the side that was previously down on the grill. Slide it back on the grill for 2-4 minutes covered and it's done. Takes the same amount of time as doing burgers, srs.
  • cchardy82
    cchardy82 Posts: 26
    Options
    Kroger and Publix sell a gluten free pizza crust that is very good if you are looking for some lighter crust options. You can also use the low carb wraps, Boboli thin crust and tortillas. I use the Boboli thin crust or the gluten free pizza crust for my pizzas and they also hold up really well on the grill.

Topping options:
    1) hummus (any flavor), colored bell peppers, grilled chicken, sometimes olives and pepperoncini peppers, 2% shredded mozarella or just a sprinkling of fat free feta

2) olive oil and garlic or a trans fat free pesto with fresh spinach, shrimp (or chicken) and fat free feta

3) turkey italian sausage, pizza sauce and 2% mozarella

4) grilled chicken, BBQ sauce, 2% mozarella

5) sliced tomatoes (salted and set out on paper towels for an hour or so to release some of their moisture), pesto and fresh sliced mozarella, I sometimes add spinach or arugula

Those are our favorites. I use the cheese sparingly because a little goes a long way.
  • norahwynn
    norahwynn Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    I usually don't make my pizza's on the grill, though I've always wanted to try. When I make mine in the oven, I use 1 Rudi's Multigrain English Muffin w/ Flax, instead of a tortilla. Each muffin is 130 calories and for me personally, they seem more substantial and more pizza friendly.

I toast them before I put my toppings on. The meat I use is either chicken breast, bacon, or canadian bacon, or sometimes no meat at all, and obviously the veggie choices are numerous.
  • kayemmgee5
    kayemmgee5 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Pizzas on the grill is a fun meal I always request while at my parents house! I have never made them, but my dad puts the crust right on the grill (no foil or anything) and kind of flips it then adds toppings and closes the top so it gets all melty. It's really good!