Drinking Green Tea and losing bellyfat or just fat itself

Options
I have been reading many articles on the benefits of drinking green tea and it revving up your metabolism and helping you lose a lot more fat including belly fat than just going it alone. Has anyone else read this too? I have been drinking hot green tea with Splenda 3 times a day. 1 cup with each meal and I have noticed a difference of a few inches in my measurements in just a week. Now the Lbs are still slow to come off but that probably has to do with me adding muscle from working out with weights 3 times a week and doing cardio 3 times a week, but the inches are melting away. I think the green tea is helping. Has anyone else tried this? I have now lost 2 lbs since starting MFP but have lost 20 lbs since I started dieting and exercising 8 weeks ago. Anyone with info on the green tea, please let me know.

Replies

• thomasmarnold
    Options
    Also, and Friends for support and motivation would be nice.
  • AnnieeR
    AnnieeR Posts: 229
    Options
    Giving this a bump as I'm very curious about the answers!! I've tried green tea again and again but I give up every time because it tastes so vile. But if I had some evidence that it would help burn belly fat I'd probably commit a bit more!
  • ladybug91254
    ladybug91254 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I don't know about the benefits but as far as taste there are a lot of different ones. I avoid the more earthy ones. Go to a natural foods store or web site and try a few different ones. I ordered about 6 and loved 3 of them, one of ok and the other two I couldn't do.
  • claygal123
    claygal123 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I make iced green tea, using flavored teas like Mango Green, Jasmine Green, Earl Green. With some mint, Splenda, lemon it's great. A few glasses = way more then a few cups. Iv'e heard that you need to consume a lot for the best benefits, this is one way to do it!
  • LoriT129
    LoriT129 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I'm bumping this as well! I'd like to know if anyone else has tried this. I have hit a plateau and have changed things up a bit and adding green tea would not be difficult to do at all! Plus...I love it! :)
  • beccamoi
    Options
    I heard green tea is a ying yang drink. It was explained by a friend that drinks it daily. Green tea is supposed to balance your system; you drink something hot to balance your system from eating something cold and vice versa. Balance equals wellness. I have not heard anything on fat loss; except it cleanses your system.
  • amyfly
    amyfly Posts: 137
    Options
    I've heard that it does help burn fat but that you have to drink quite a bit each day to get the benefits. You've inspired me to give it a try! I have also read a lot about adding a monounsaturated fatty acid (one of the good fats) to each meal is supposed to help burn belly fat. I've been doing it for a few weeks and have lost 2 inches around my waist, but i also lost 2 more pounds so
    i don't know if it' the exercise or the added fat.
  • MommaFreem
    Options
    The information I have on Green Tea is from "Master Your Metabolism" by Jillian Michaels.

In her research she says: "Not only does green tea give you a caffeine boost, but green tea has been shown to promote fat oxidation at rest and is believed to prevent obesity and improve insulin sensitivity. Green tea also reduces the risk of breast and prostate cancer". But she says, "take note: Part of the reason green tea works is by lowering the amounts of circulating sex hormones in the body. In other words, while it helps reduce dangerous levels of estrogen, it also lowers testosterone". (This is for Male and Females alike).

She goes onto say that you should "limit yourself to one to two caffeinated beverages a day, and drink one extra glass of water for every caffeinated beverage you drink. Make sure you finish drinking both of them by noon. The caffeine should be completely out of your system by nightfall".-The reason for this is because caffeine in your system when you go to sleep can affect your levels of sleep and whether or not you get a good nights rest.

I hope this helps and good luck!! : )
  • Bobarb
    Bobarb Posts: 2
    Options
    In the past I have used Bitter Melon tea and works very well. But some times it hard to find , you can find it in Asian stores. Guess I'll try it again. If you do try it , steep very weak. My trouble is doing it everyday. Bitter Melon is used for a lot of things. Info is as close as our laptops.
  • bjshooter
    bjshooter Posts: 1,174 Member
    Options
    I drink it everyday, I have lost weight and inches, but I have been dieting and exercising, so who knows how much help it is. I have read things saying it works, but I have also read things saying you would have to drink more than it is possible to drink for it to work. No matter what its adding to your fluid intake so it cant be a bad thing.