Binge Eating stops here

Options
Hello everyone I am new to the community! I am trying to stop the binge eating, etc, and would like to have some friends, doesn't matter, as long as your are cool :)
yo yo dieting my whole life-
mother of 9 y/o son.
223 to 148 before.
back at 194.
I know what it takes I just need the willpower, and I have that .

Replies

• galena64
    galena64 Posts: 4
    Options
    Hi! I am guilty of binge eating some days... I just can't seem to stop even though my other half of my brain says too! It is brutal so I know what you are going through and maybe we can help each other out!
  • doriharvey
    doriharvey Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Grab a coffee, I'm going to write a short story. :-) Actually, I am but because this topic is something I am kina passionate about. I want to share my experience and what i have learned now.

I have been as high as 230's (1999) and I smoked 20 cigarettes a day, I quit smoking and then down to 148 pounds (2001) and back up to 197 (2012) after a 2006 diagnosis of fibromyalgia and several years of figuring out how to manage it. I am 177 as of 11 days ago. I have had moments of binge, binge/ purge and moments of extreme don't eat and exercise in my younger years trying to understand what it takes to get "skinny". I am tall'ish and can carry weight well, but I am pear shaped and my hip bones appear bigger than my boobs, I always felt fat.. Today (as I am older and "wiser") plus I've read a couple of books on the matter. I realize that what I really want is to achieve is a healthy balance in all aspects of my life. Physically, emotionally/ mentally, spiritually, intellectually... all balanced. I have not had eating disorder ( a mental thing) type issues since 2001.

Some things I've learned along the way:
    I find that around that time of month I feel ravenous, a few days before I want chocolate.... no need chocolate.
    Now that I have been tracking calories and what I am "really" doing instead of what I think I am doing I see that I can get that chocolate in. I bought a big bar expensive dark chocolate and enjoyed a piece of it each day during that time.

I've also discovered that no matter what, those couple of days I will not be satisfied no matter what. My tummy thinks it constantly needs more. I have noticed that soy based products help the way I feel in general ... I discovered that I can use lite silken tofu for a lot of things, from in my smoothie to soup based products, to a cheesy sauce for macaroni or broccoli. I can eat alot of it for low calories.... which of course I will feel hungry soon after. I love oven broiled veggies, Will eat a whole bag of frozen which fills me up and is about 125 calories. .... Lately I see that a walk and a protein rich smoothie helps me get rid of that can't get satisfied feeling. Still trying to figure me out in this arae.

Drink enough water or fluids! I add crystal light or make tea and seem to drink alot more than when I don't.

Have a meal plan... I think about tomorrow the day before so I don't get caught "too" hungry and outta control.

After several days of eating low calories (at mt BMR even though I exercised) I wake up hungry in the middle of the night or I find I have less umphh yo get through my exercise, if I get through. Calories are energy. I found if I eat all my calories... exercise too or have a higher calorie day when those days hit I have the energy I need the next day.

MOST IMPORTANT: I may have had a day I am not happy about but I will not quit being honest about it, plus I want to know my "track record" if I don't record it I don't have a track record. I feel that is my best measure of success no matter what the numbers say. I need reality and the track record I am building helps me better get to know what is going on with me.

I have to question, even now.... what am I doing this for. No pain, no gain... maybe, it hasn't been to painful.... well, some sore muscles, ben-gay and ibuprofen. But concerning food.... Do I have the right goals? If I am denying myself joy in life, I want to change that. I want a life-style not a weightloss. However the lifestyle I desire has a side effect of a body with less fat.

Not usually this chatty before my morning coffee. Hope my little bit of experience can help you. :smile: :drinker: coffee time now
  • eddie8131
    eddie8131 Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    Serious binge eater here. I am currently 22 days binge free which is the longest stretch in forever. It's funny though, I never know why I am binge free when I have periods like this, just learning every day to avoid the triggers I guess, one day at a time. Please feel free to add me if you wish. Good luck!
  • fatticuswench
    fatticuswench Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Had lost 6kg, down from 86 to 80. Back up to 85kg after about 4 weeks non stop binging. Need to get back on track, myfitnesspal did help previously, dropping the weight the first time and helped me from binging. So here goes!
  • musicgirl99
    musicgirl99 Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    I'm all too familiar with binge eating. I've been yo-yo dieting since my teens and always manage to get back to square one or even above it. Add me if you'd like and we can maybe help each other stop the cycle.
  • sweetfluffy
    sweetfluffy Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Hi.......I'm cool =D add me if you want we can support each others ;-)
  • eileenm777
    eileenm777 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Down to losing the last 10 and I am sabotaging myself with binges! I'm re-setting my plan this week (it's business time, baby!!!).
    Add me if you like!
  • amanda24242
    Options
    wow thanks everyone! I will be adding all of you, didn't see the replies until now :)
  • HuneeBunee08
    HuneeBunee08 Posts: 168
    Options
    we all have those days.. it is VERY tough... but you can do it! down 5lbs since ive stopped.. feel free to add me :smile:
  • katinachaos
    katinachaos Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I think the more you track and the more often you pick healthier options, the less severe your binges get (in my case, at least). If I eat healthy all week and then overdo it on my cheat day, I seriously get like, a food hangover the following day and knowing that helps me put down the puddin'! I also have learned to not keep that stuff in the house because I know I'll overdo it, so if I wanna binge, I have to get off the couch, and if I'm in the mood to shovel food into my face, I'm normally not in the mood to move much to do it, lol. Good luck, it gets easier!
  • melmckay99
    melmckay99 Posts: 358
    Options
    There's a support group here on MFP:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/726-binge-eating-support-group

I have my moments of binge eating too. There are certain foods that trigger it for me. For example, I just polished off a whole jar of peanut butter in 5 days (thats 750 g = 4,500 calories! averages out to about 900 calories a day just in peanut butter)... I always say to myself I just won't buy it anymore, but I always do anyways, hopeing that this time will be different and I will control myself..... oooops. :(
  • amanda24242
    Options
    Yea, I could do that to the peanut butter - especially the honey roasted kind! :)
    LOL
    thanks for the info :)
  • SarahBJane
    SarahBJane Posts: 24
    Options
    Hello :). I have been a binge eater for five years, where I managed to gain 100 pounds. I am new here, (about a week) and I have not binged in that time. Pretty happy about that. Binge eating is totally a mental thing and it is hard to stop. I think we just have to be tired of where we are and willing to do whatever it takes to heal. I think the "diet" mentality doesn't help. It didn't help me, I just wanted to binge more. I like this site though for the support and that others are going through the exact same thing. I like that I know exactly how much to eat to lose and that I can exercise and eat more if I want to. I can still eat cookies if I want or a cupcake, I just don't have to eat the entire cake. It is also a learning process and it will take practice. You know the saying, "practice makes perfect". I am determined to get my life back and I am here for you and will give you so much support. Anyone that needs someone that will be there for them, I am here bc I need the same. We all can do this!!!
  • brittineeo
    brittineeo Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hello!

We got your back! Im not new here...just getting back on the wagon...Ill add you if you add me!
  • amanda24242
    Options
    great job on not binging for a week , Maxie! that's awesome :)
  • CayceAnne13
    CayceAnne13 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have learned just not to have all the junk i binge on anywhere near me! I have to stay away from the ice cream isle at the grocery store and just never ever buy it. Im alot less likely in binge on something healthy and if I do, its not so bad. Add me if you like! This community support is great!
  • FruitSalad76
    FruitSalad76 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I binge eat at night when my kids go to bed. I need to stop just having a hard time doing it. i weigh 192 and looking to get to 120. looking for new friends .
  • PheonixRizing
    PheonixRizing Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Hi. I'm pretty cool.
    Names Tess
    Binge eater
    home maker
    crafter
    lover of food... to an extreme.
    Nice to meetcha :D

Food is not your best friend. You are your best friend and you can make a choice, eat to live or live to eat.

Welcome
  • cdcooper321
    cdcooper321 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Yo yo dieter and binge eater as well. I've been on this journey for 7 months today actually. Down 45lbs and from size 156-18 to a 10!
    I've got at least 20lbs to go, let's do this!
  • geekprincess858
    Options
    Binge eating ruins me too. In extreme times of stress, or during that awful monthly visitor. Its tough to prevent, but I know I can do it. Any of you can add me for support. Thanks!