5:2 diet

Options
Starting 5:2 diet today. What do think/know about it? Thank you!

Replies

• yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Starting 5:2 diet today. What do think/know about it? Thank you!
    2 days at ~500 cals, 5 days at ~TDEE, creates a >20% deficit for around 1 lb/'week weight loss.
  • jrzzz
    jrzzz Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I started the 5:2 diet yesterday, after watching my sister-in-law have tremendous success. She managed a month long trip to France on the 5:2 and still lost 4 lbs! Yesterday was my first fast day, not too bad.
  • CysterWigs
    CysterWigs Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I had been eating around 1400 - 1600 a day and working out like whoa (Insanity + yoga + dancing sometimes), and had plateaued at a point very far removed from my goal weight. I did my first week on 5:2, continuing to count calories and eat at a deficit on the non-fast days, and finally began to lose weight again. I have metabolic syndrome and it makes weight loss a real challenge. 5:2 nips it in the bud. People will chalk it up to the calories in - calories out thing. I think there's more to it than that, and the science behind it backs up this assertion.
  • momzeeee
    momzeeee Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    There's a 5:2 group here on mfp you might like to check out :)
  • jayrudq
    jayrudq Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    On week two. I am over fifty and losing weight has become a BEAR. This works for me because it is already something I do, but not intentionally or a regular basis. Also, I have NEVER counted calories before. Mostly had good luck with low carbo - but that doesn't seem to cut it anymore.
    From all the research I did, it seems fairly reasonable for weight loss, but even better for overall health. And most importantly, it can be an important tool when you reach your goal and to keep it off. I find that the most compelling reason - you can always add those 500 cal days when you need them.
    I have officially lost four pounds, but it is actually more like eight. I was on a long weekend vaca before I started and it was a binge of food and booze. I weighed a lot more than my starting weight!
  • sparkles9779
    sparkles9779 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I am not sure about a 5:2 diet but every month I do a modified juice fast( I do allow myself to eat the veggies raw etc) and I always lose and get over being stuck although I am very large I have pcos and weight loss is a struggle for me too.. My version definitely works so I am sure this can work for some..
  • niteal2
    niteal2 Posts: 14
    Options
    I appreciate all the responses. I will try again next week. Its working so far ;)
  • KKnaggs
    KKnaggs Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I've been on it since the end of January and have had mixed results. What I've finally realised is that I can't 'eat normally' on non-fast days, as all the 5:2 books etc say, because my 'eating normally' is what got me overweight in the first place! :drinker: So now I count/restrict calories on non-fast days too, even though I did think the whole point of 5:2 was that you didn't have to do that. Well, I think if you generally eat healthily and don't overeat, you can still eat as you normally would and lose weight. If you're interested, I've been tracking my progress on my blog, and there are tons of recipes on there as well as good fast day food finds - good ready meals etc, and an incredible filled pasta that's only 166 calories for half the pack! :noway: So, please pop over and have a look - hopefully it'll help if you're just starting out and looking for inspiration for fast day meals. http://fastdays.wordpress.com/
  • janine962
    janine962 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I'm starting 5:2 tomorrow. Been on ww for 12 months. Lost a stone, but back a stone and a half and lost 10lb. Taken 3 months for the 10lb to go and I think I need a change. I will be tracking on here from now on.
  • amandadanda
    Options
    I am a 53 years old and post menapausal. I have been an active exerciser for years and have been realitively slender. But after menapause I developed the middle spread. I hated it. I was 5'7 and 142 pounds give or take a pound or two, so I was by no means overweight. I happened upon the documentary but just caught the last half. But it made sense to me! So I googled for more info and have been fasting for two days for the last two and a half months. I just weighed in at 130 pounds this morning and my goal is to lose 3 more.This has been the easiest diet I have ever been on. I did weight watchers about 13 years ago to lose all the baby gain and it worked, but I hated counting points everyday. Anyway, this has been exciting for me, I think I not only gained healthy benefits but also have proven you can lose weight after menapause!
  • Mrsshellers
    Mrsshellers Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Tomorrow is my 3rd fast day and will be my first weigh in since I started, I found my first every fast challenging but its didnt make me miserable, and yesterday whizzed by so I didnt have a chance to notice!

I am hoping tomorrow will be just as successful, everyone tells me each fast day gets easier! So here's hoping! :)

There are a few 5:2 groups on here and I have started one in the UK members group too, good luck!
  • perrinjoshua
    perrinjoshua Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    I have been following this diet since April 2013. I feel happy, energetic, pain free and health. My last fast day was yesterday and I had no trouble staying under 500 cals. Usually I make sure to have the whole 500 but yesterday, just wasn't happening. Still had a really health day.