Your favorite way to make steelcut oats?

Options
cxdyer
cxdyer Posts: 105 Member
looking for ideas to make steelcut oats in a variety of enjoyable ways

Replies

• frugalafterfifty
    frugalafterfifty Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I'm gonna follow you on this one.

I make a large batch for the week. I'll cook them with some fresh fruit - right now it's mulberries that are falling from our tree. Mulberries taste like a rasberry. I'll bring them to work with some almond milk. I have not been adding sugar - I used to.

Maybe someone has a savory way to make them.
  • cxdyer
    Options
    I add honey, milk and butter. I need to get away from the butter and milk and hoping for a recipe that can help me with that part. I've added bluberries but really didn't like it without milk, I should have tried almond milk. I like your idea
  • ericnealdavis
    ericnealdavis Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I make them with water, but then add 2 tbsp of flax (seeds or ground), 1 tbsp of chia seed, and 1 tbsp of splenda - brown sugar blend. I add a 1/2 cup of fresh fruit to it, usually blueberries, strawberries or peaches. With a 1/2 cup of blueberries that adds up to 390 calories, 63g carbs, 15 g fat, 13 g protein, 7mg of sodium and 15g sugar.
  • missigus
    missigus Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Make mine depending on time of year with honey, cinnamon, and peaches. Sometimes I will use agave syrup mixed with strawberries, or blueberries and some almond milk. I will also stir in a little peanut butter and indulge with a tablespoon of mini dark chocolate chips. I haven't tried this yet but heard pumpkin puree, almond milk, cinnamon and brown sugar is yummy too.
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    I do mine a number of ways, depending on my mood. If I'm leaning towards sweet, sometimes I add some PB2 (regular or chocolate), sometimes it's honey, and sometimes it's cinnamon.

But my favorite way to have steel cut oats is with an ounce some sort of awesome cheese grated up and melted in. I like cheeses that compliment the nuttiness of the oats, so things like gruyere and emmenthaler are really good. But a nice aged cheddar was the first thing I tried and still a favorite. I've also done it with monterey jack, simply because it's what I had on hand at the moment.

I could eat steel cut oats all day already, but add in the cheese and it just sends them to a new level. I've actually used them a number of times in a similar way that grits would be used with a meal. Most recently I cut up a chicken breast and cooked it stove-top in some of my favorite BBQ sauce, then put it all over the top of some cheesy steel cut oats and crumbled some crispy center cut bacon over the top of it. SO good!

And if you want to take that to a whole new level, fry an egg and place it on top. When you break the yolk down into the oats....*drool*
  • TravelDog14
    TravelDog14 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    With cheese sounds really good.

Although you lost me with the runny egg dripping down into the oats...
  • frugalafterfifty
    frugalafterfifty Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I do mine a number of ways, depending on my mood. If I'm leaning towards sweet, sometimes I add some PB2 (regular or chocolate), sometimes it's honey, and sometimes it's cinnamon.

But my favorite way to have steel cut oats is with an ounce some sort of awesome cheese grated up and melted in. I like cheeses that compliment the nuttiness of the oats, so things like gruyere and emmenthaler are really good. But a nice aged cheddar was the first thing I tried and still a favorite. I've also done it with monterey jack, simply because it's what I had on hand at the moment.

I could eat steel cut oats all day already, but add in the cheese and it just sends them to a new level. I've actually used them a number of times in a similar way that grits would be used with a meal. Most recently I cut up a chicken breast and cooked it stove-top in some of my favorite BBQ sauce, then put it all over the top of some cheesy steel cut oats and crumbled some crispy center cut bacon over the top of it. SO good!

And if you want to take that to a whole new level, fry an egg and place it on top. When you break the yolk down into the oats....*drool*

The savory recipes sound like they would be good with quinoa too. (That's becomming a new favorite)
  • IAteBethDitto
    IAteBethDitto Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Make 'em with water first. Then:

Add salt and eat the hot porridge with cold milk just like in the aul' country.

Stir in some peanut butter and a bit of brown sugar.

Stir in finely sliced spring onions and have with salmon (grilled, tinned, smoked, raw) and soy sauce.

Edit: probably best not to have all three toppings/additions at once.
  • cxdyer
    Options

• cxdyer
    Options
    I wouldn't have thought of adding cheese, but that does sound good. I also hadn't thought of adding PB2, which is crazy because I love PB2. Thank you everyone for these great ideas
  • littlelouis
    littlelouis Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I use milk and add a sweetener packet, oats, and cinnamon in once the oats are boiling. Towards the end I add frozen blueberries and chopped up apples. So good.

I also use milk to boil the oats and I add in a sweetener packet, a tablespoon of unsweetened cocoa powder, and a tablespoon or two of natural peanut butter. Then, I add blueberries or bananas. Yummy!