Bad habits

Who has bad habits they would like to work on getting rid of? Who has already rid themselves of a bad habit, and how did you do it? Who has rid themselves of a habit but are on the brink of restarting that habit? Smoking, drinking, bad eating habits, drugs, anything else? Please keep this conversation peaceful and non-judgemental.
I personally had a "smoking" habit. It was only a two year old habit when I quit because my husband (boyfriend at the time) shared his great displeasure in it, having never tasted a drop of alcohol, smoked a cigarrete or marijuana or anything in his life.... I quit cold turkey and only caved and smoked a few times since then (Sept 2012), and didnt continue because I nearly got caught a couple of those times. The only problem is, its been months and months and Im still having bad mental cravings. I didnt smoke everyday all day to begin with, so I wasnt a heavy user or physically dependant. But for about two months now lighting one up is all I can think about, well not literally but I find my mind wandering to it, I have dreams about it, and everytime someone talks about it or I see something related, it triggers me. I find myself thinking back to my single days; gathering with friends to have a good time; the welcoming understanding environment; the stress relief smoking brought me; and how it was the only thing I have ever found that truly gave my mind a break so I could reset myself and start fresh. I have a milder, rapid cycling, type of Bipolar disorder and it was the only thing that seemed to turn off the "crazy" part of my brain so I could think and feel clearly, without feeling powerless to the emotions coarsing through me out of my control and desire.I also find that it helped me stick to a fitness plan with ease! Being Bipolar (for me at least) affects my motivation and dedication to things greatly! I'd like to do certian things (like be dedicated to and enjoy losing weight) but I just cant bring myself to have the same excited , accomplished mind set that I had when I was an occasional smoker. I used to WANT to make special time out of my day to go to the gym, pack all my meals to make sure I got them all in, I felt great about myself, accomplished and proud...now I have great distaste in exercising, dread going to the gym with every fibre of my being and cant stand the look and taste of the healthy foods I need to eat to stick to my plan. I can recall the feelings I had just last summer about losing weight, the excitement, feeling like I was accomplishing something, being proud of my efforts, enjoying the challenge and results, I can feel them, but only as a memory, I cant bring those feelig back into my mind and attitude actively. I know that a big part of sucessfully quitting any habit is the desire to do so. If you dont want to quit, you probably wont. And I certianly dont want to, I did at first because it meant so much to my hubby, but the desire to start again has been getting stronger and stronger the longer I go without. Especially when I think of the contrast in my attitudes and emotions from then and now.
Thats is my story, now how about yours? :)

Replies