Nail Salon in GA charges "overweight" surcharge for pedicure

Options

Replies

• mram81
    mram81 Posts: 15
    Options
    I live in GA and saw this. The great thing about a competitive market....people don't have to go there! Once word of this spreads enough, no one is going to go here and they will eventually go out of business. Gotta love the free market!!
  • DannielleKirkland
    Options
    Wow! Just Wow! i hope they go out of business!
  • nica8605
    nica8605 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I read that this morning too.. I suppose I could understand their reasoning for it but you could use a more respectable way of saying it that just sitting there and telling her she was overweight straight to her face. Thats disrepectful and just plain mean. I'd rather just hear them say its extra for chair repair, still ridcoulous but more respectful.
  • marymooster
    marymooster Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Well the only way they can do something like that is to figure broken chairs into the market equation... and raise prices across the board...... Yep edging on discrimination. She could sue for discrimination mental trauma pain and suffering humiliation..... and the list goes on.......
  • RedneckWmn
    RedneckWmn Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    Wow. That's awful.
  • Van3ssa_2468
    Van3ssa_2468 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    unbelievable story, it is wrong on so many levels
  • nica8605
    nica8605 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I live in GA and saw this. The great thing about a competitive market....people don't have to go there! Once word of this spreads enough, no one is going to go here and they will eventually go out of business. Gotta love the free market!!

best thing about this is that its one of the first things that are on MSN.com so it will get around fast.
  • dansdeb
    dansdeb Posts: 164
    Options
    thats just wrong! I hope everyone who sees this and patronizes that salon stop going.
  • FoamyRiver
    FoamyRiver Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I agree with nica...I can understand the reasoning but the situation was handled poorly. Is it just me or has our world become more rude and disrespectful?
  • edinbors
    edinbors Posts: 112
    Options
    Thats just ridiculous! I sure hope they wake up and change that...thats just being "greedy".
  • neelia
    neelia Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    "Wow" is really all I can say.
  • msciccone1
    msciccone1 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    This is ludacris! How dare they!?! When you have the choice of so many nail salons and you choose to oust some patrons based on their weight? Hope people do NOT go there anymore. Ughhhhhhhhh
  • GTOgirl1969
    GTOgirl1969 Posts: 2,527 Member
    Options
    That nail salon owner better be glad it wasn't me- I would have raised hell.
  • chugglebunny
    Options
    That is indeed outragious. You can understand the logic. But surely the chairs breaking is an overhead cost and should be accounted for across the board and intergrated into all prices...but also, if the chairs have a weight limited, then why let overweight people use them at all? Shouldn't they explain that the chairs aren't suitable, and then it is up to the individual customer to choose to use them or not? If they choose to use the chairs anyway then charge them..
  • rose1617
    rose1617 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    Well the only way they can do something like that is to figure broken chairs into the market equation... and raise prices across the board...... Yep edging on discrimination. She could sue for discrimination mental trauma pain and suffering humiliation..... and the list goes on.......
    This is exactly what I was thinking.
    However, I don't think she should sue nor do I think she has the right to. Being overweight is not protected by law. It's not a disability recognized by the ADA. If she had a disability and that was discriminated against, then yes, but it doesn't seem as though she does.
    She should just go elsewhere.
  • rose1617
    rose1617 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    That is indeed outragious. You can understand the logic. But surely the chairs breaking is an overhead cost and should be accounted for across the board and intergrated into all prices...but also, if the chairs have a weight limited, then why let overweight people use them at all? Shouldn't they explain that the chairs aren't suitable, and then it is up to the individual customer to choose to use them or not? If they choose to use the chairs anyway then charge them..
    I think that solution would cause the same exact problem that they have now. The customer would be upset that they couldn't use the same chairs as all of the other patrons and then when charged more if they did, would be upset that they were charged more for being overweight.
  • LittleSpy
    LittleSpy Posts: 6,754 Member
    Options
    While I do understand the logic (I hesitate to use that word) behind the surcharge, the salon should have probably invested in some chairs with a higher weight capacity. Seriously, $2400 for a chair that only holds 200 pounds? What a rip off. 200 pounds is hardly an accommodating limit. American women are often 6 feet tall or taller. I'm sure there are plenty of very fit and very healthy 200 pound 6' tall women in this country (and the rest of the world).
    I wonder what the standard operating procedure is for determining if a customer is "overweight."

I'm overweight. But I do weigh less than 200 pounds. Would I have to pay the surcharge? Georgia's not too far away, maybe I should go find out.
  • lina1131
    lina1131 Posts: 2,246 Member
    Options
    200 pound weight limit? They are lying or the chair is cheap as hell and doesn't cost $2400.
  • Jacole18
    Jacole18 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    What small minded people....I hope the business ends soon. We might be a little larger than others, but we have feelings and deserve to be beautiful too!
  • lina1131
    lina1131 Posts: 2,246 Member
    Options
    What small minded people....I hope the business ends soon. We might be a little larger than others, but we have feelings and deserve to be beautiful too!

They are being *kitten* and just want a reason to charge more, imo. If you are going to own several $2400 chairs, get them insured. I am sure there is a way to insure them. If JLO can insure her *kitten*, nail salon owners can insure their expensive chairs. And for Pete's sake, get ones that hold more than 200 lbs.