Completely defeated

Options
Hello my friends, I am coming here to confess that I have gained back ALL the 6 pounds I had lost and also gained 2 more. I have changed my ticker to show that I have started over and have lost zero pounds. I just feel absolutely disgusted with myself. I was on a good road but I just allowed myself to get complacent. There were too many family dinners and dinners out with my husband at restaurants where I just totally blew it and didn't even log what I ate for that day. I don't know if I even have the heart to start all over again, but I know I have to if I ever want to feel comfortable in my own skin again! I set my calories to lose 1 pound per week, which then gave me 1320 calories per day. I am going to really make a renewed effort here and crack down on myself. I guess I am writing to you all just to get all this off my chest, I am feeling so discouraged and defeated right now.

Replies

• jdhoward_101
    jdhoward_101 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Hon, i was in a similar position a few of weeks ago. I did really well, lost about 7lbs and then after a stressful week of moving house and going to a festival, i put most of it back on. I too felt disgusted with myself, especially because i felt like i had worked so hard to lose that weight, and it was difficult to do. Suddenly it was right back to square one and i didn't know if i could face it.

Having to put my ticker back, and change my weight on MFP was such a disheartening process, and made me feel even worse, but i knew that i would never get back on track if i wasn't honest with myself.

You've taken the first step, and it takes guts; it's all too easy to close your eyes, clamp your hands over your ears and tell yourself, 'i just won't bother, i'm sure i'll lose that weight some point soon'. But you won't if you don't try, so by accepting the problem you have also accepted that you're willing to try again, which as i said take guts.

The first two or three days are the hardest; your body has got used to eating that amount again, and will probably fight you, (that's just me speaking from experience there) and you will have to be strong to resist the urge to fall off the wagon again. But once you get past those few days, it will become easier; you will remember how much you enjoy being healthy, trating your body right and being in control of your eating habits. In a weeks time when you step on those scales and see you've lost a pound or two, or maybe more, you will be absolutely elated and so proud of yourself for getting off your *kitten*, and battling through those first few days.

I KNOW you can do it. I'm two pounds away from the weight i was before i put eveything back on, and then it's onwards and upwards, (or should i say downwards!) to my target goal.

Don't give up; yes it might be difficult at first, but you've done it before and you can do it again!!!
  • Siegel15
    Siegel15 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Strickland, you came BACK though! And we are all here with you, in the same boat, needing to shed loads of weight. We will do it together.
    I know it can be done. One day at a time . One week at a time. One month at a time. There is no penalty for yo yo dieting either. It has been disproven. The best thing you can do is start again!
  • teamfit2day
    teamfit2day Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Dont beat yourself up, we ALL make mistakes, have setbacks and even become complacent with progress. One of my biggest problems despite all the weight I have lost is that I tend to binge eat at times, and other times I simply over do it on the junk foods. For me, this is terrible because I gain weight easily but dont seem to lose it quite as easy either. 2 years ago I would kick myself during those moments but that didnt help. Over time I learned to simply but the mistakes aside, and focus on the current/next workout, focus on the next meal ONLY. Instead of thinking about next week, or next weekend, Im only thinking about todays workout, the next meal and how I can make the best of these current situations. If you want to lose weight, Great!, but focus on the next pound, not the next 10 or 15. Take it one at a time and you will hit your goal without even realizing it.
  • rowanwood
    rowanwood Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    Have you considered that maybe you need to try something different? I was really *****y when I was eating low calorie. I found that eating at 1600 or 1700 calories still allowed me to lose, but prevented me from feeling so deprived that I flipped out.

Try the TDEE-15% method and see what happens. Make sure to eat at least your BMR. You might feel much better and it might be SO much easier.

http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/
  • mstrickland9
    mstrickland9 Posts: 102
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your encouraging words, really made me feel a whole lot better this morning!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,701 Member
    Options
    Who knows? This may be you're turning point. Good luck.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • cebreisch
    cebreisch Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    Hey - I just "got back on the wagon" myself. I had surgery on March 29, and the recovery was really a lot more difficult than I expected/hoped. I ended up being told that dieting during recovery wasn't a smart idea, so I ran with that.

I weighed in yesterday and gained 18 pounds. UGH.

Today's a new day, and we can't do anything about yesterday, only plan for today/tomorrow.

Keep your chin up - you can do it!
  • Jeneba
    Jeneba Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting this! I gained 10 pounds during this past school year and am feeling totally enervated by the thought of what I am going to have to do to get back in shape.

No matter which method I use, I am stuck with low calorie eating if I want to lose the weight. It doesn't matter which measurement, which method - it is ALWAYS going to be 1200 calories and quite frankly I AM SICK OF BEING HUNGRY!

But as someone "above" has commented, (thank you, Someone!), this will become easier in time....

Waaaaaaaahhhhhh!

:sad:
  • anniegail1961
    Options
    Hi There: Are you still breathing? Yes? Then you are not completely defeated.
    Today is a new day!
    Your motivation may be low-but all you need is an "Attitude Adjustment"
    And I am just the gal to help you in your adjustment.
    May I share a story with you? -one that may get you thinking straight.
    When a baby elephant is born in a circus, the owner puts a huge chain on her ankle that is drilled into the ground.
    The baby elephant pulls and tugs at this chain but is unable to get free.
    As the elephant grows they keep putting larger chains on it , and again the elephant pulls and tugs at it-but is unsuccessful.
    Then when the elephant is full grown-the owner replaces the huge chain with a simple rope -loosely secured in the ground-and the elephant doesn't even try to break free.
    Do you know why?
    Because she doesn't believe she can!!
    I believe somewhere in you-you want to change your health, fitness level and physique
    But I also believe you have given up.
    You justify eating in restaurants, family get togethers- hubby-what have you's?
    But your allowing these excuses to rob you of shining bright like the star you were meant to be.
    You are justifying why you aren't succeeding.
    I have overcome many addictions in my life-drugs, alcohol,smoking and now I'm working on my weight, health and pride.
    It all started with the idea of being" sick and tired" of being "sick and tired"
    One day at a time-is a motto in A.A.
    Here it's 1 lbs. at a time.
    You know what you have to do-believe in yourself!
    Dig down deep-locate your courage!
    Put your sneakers on.
    Fill your fridge with healthy foods.-throw out the junk food-or at least hide it.
    Hug yourself-because you are a wonderful woman and get started.
    Finally admit that you are worthy of all the dreams you can dream for yourself.
    Read the success stories-they are remarkable transformations. They did it-you can-I can too!
    Now! is the time to Break Free!!!!!
    I'll be praying for you!
    Contact me any time!
  • mstrickland9
    Options
    Hi There: Are you still breathing? Yes? Then you are not completely defeated.
    Today is a new day!
    Your motivation may be low-but all you need is an "Attitude Adjustment"
    And I am just the gal to help you in your adjustment.
    May I share a story with you? -one that may get you thinking straight.
    When a baby elephant is born in a circus, the owner puts a huge chain on her ankle that is drilled into the ground.
    The baby elephant pulls and tugs at this chain but is unable to get free.
    As the elephant grows they keep putting larger chains on it , and again the elephant pulls and tugs at it-but is unsuccessful.
    Then when the elephant is full grown-the owner replaces the huge chain with a simple rope -loosely secured in the ground-and the elephant doesn't even try to break free.
    Do you know why?
    Because she doesn't believe she can!!
    I believe somewhere in you-you want to change your health, fitness level and physique
    But I also believe you have given up.
    You justify eating in restaurants, family get togethers- hubby-what have you's?
    But your allowing these excuses to rob you of shining bright like the star you were meant to be.
    You are justifying why you aren't succeeding.
    I have overcome many addictions in my life-drugs, alcohol,smoking and now I'm working on my weight, health and pride.
    It all started with the idea of being" sick and tired" of being "sick and tired"
    One day at a time-is a motto in A.A.
    Here it's 1 lbs. at a time.
    You know what you have to do-believe in yourself!
    Dig down deep-locate your courage!
    Put your sneakers on.
    Fill your fridge with healthy foods.-throw out the junk food-or at least hide it.
    Hug yourself-because you are a wonderful woman and get started.
    Finally admit that you are worthy of all the dreams you can dream for yourself.
    Read the success stories-they are remarkable transformations. They did it-you can-I can too!
    Now! is the time to Break Free!!!!!
    I'll be praying for you!
    Contact me any time!

Thanks for that great analogy, I see your point. And I HAVE been making excuses. I am back on track as of today. Just went for a run and I think that made me feel a little better too.
  • soldier4242
    soldier4242 Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    Hello my friends, I am coming here to confess that I have gained back ALL the 6 pounds I had lost and also gained 2 more. I have changed my ticker to show that I have started over and have lost zero pounds. I just feel absolutely disgusted with myself. I was on a good road but I just allowed myself to get complacent. There were too many family dinners and dinners out with my husband at restaurants where I just totally blew it and didn't even log what I ate for that day. I don't know if I even have the heart to start all over again, but I know I have to if I ever want to feel comfortable in my own skin again! I set my calories to lose 1 pound per week, which then gave me 1320 calories per day. I am going to really make a renewed effort here and crack down on myself. I guess I am writing to you all just to get all this off my chest, I am feeling so discouraged and defeated right now.

I once lost 35 pounds and I put it all back on. Don't worry about it just dig in and stick with it.
  • mstrickland9
    Options
    Hon, i was in a similar position a few of weeks ago. I did really well, lost about 7lbs and then after a stressful week of moving house and going to a festival, i put most of it back on. I too felt disgusted with myself, especially because i felt like i had worked so hard to lose that weight, and it was difficult to do. Suddenly it was right back to square one and i didn't know if i could face it.

Having to put my ticker back, and change my weight on MFP was such a disheartening process, and made me feel even worse, but i knew that i would never get back on track if i wasn't honest with myself.

You've taken the first step, and it takes guts; it's all too easy to close your eyes, clamp your hands over your ears and tell yourself, 'i just won't bother, i'm sure i'll lose that weight some point soon'. But you won't if you don't try, so by accepting the problem you have also accepted that you're willing to try again, which as i said take guts.

The first two or three days are the hardest; your body has got used to eating that amount again, and will probably fight you, (that's just me speaking from experience there) and you will have to be strong to resist the urge to fall off the wagon again. But once you get past those few days, it will become easier; you will remember how much you enjoy being healthy, trating your body right and being in control of your eating habits. In a weeks time when you step on those scales and see you've lost a pound or two, or maybe more, you will be absolutely elated and so proud of yourself for getting off your *kitten*, and battling through those first few days.

I KNOW you can do it. I'm two pounds away from the weight i was before i put eveything back on, and then it's onwards and upwards, (or should i say downwards!) to my target goal.

Don't give up; yes it might be difficult at first, but you've done it before and you can do it again!!!

Thanks for the advice on what to expect the next few days. Can't wait to weigh myself in a few days!
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    When you think of it as a "diet" then you are always starting over.

Yes, I have also gained back pounds I lost, but I'm not "starting over", I'm still just working out the lifestyle. Things happen, we just have to adjust.
  • judtod
    judtod Posts: 85
    Options
    No reason for disgust or feelings of defeat. Progress doesn't happen in a straight line. You are ahead of where you were. You know you can do it. And you know that eating out is currently a problem. So you can go back to what you were doing and tweak the process by rethinking the eating out piece. Here are some ideas:

1. Eat out less
    2. Eat out at different restaurants
    3. Review the menu online before you go, pick what you will eat and enter it in MFP before you go.
    4. Exercise like a demon and make your other meals light on the day you eat out.

All of these ideas have worked for me. Don't expect that you will at anytime get it all figured out and solve the problem. You, like me and I suspect everyone on this site, will be forever tweaking what they are doing. Just pay attention to what works and what trips you up, so you can continue to progress. And ALWAYS BE KIND TO YOURSELF!!
  • GZA78
    GZA78 Posts: 3
    Options
    Keep at it, I'm struggling to be consistent. I can have a few great days then fall off the wagon. Any tips out there? I seem to be really good during the day but once I get home it falls apart with late evening meals and little to no exercise
  • rose228822
    rose228822 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I think it is a good sign that you haven't completely given up. You are starting anew...I tried to take it day by day and sometimes I fail but I don't quit because I know that I have a definite goal. Keep motivated and good luck to you!
  • Deloresbolt
    Deloresbolt Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Look, you came back, that is a HUGE step. Next just start all over again. I think all of us have those days.weeks, months. Don't worry, I still have days where I don't log in because I am ashamed of what I have eaten. You are GOOD!! And Never call it a diet, call it a life change. Cause that is what it is.
  • mandeenicoleb
    mandeenicoleb Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    Well you're still here. "Mistakes" are from learning from. You identified some of the problems you had last time, so this time around you'll do better. Baby steps are better than no steps at all. You aren't "defeated" by any means! Get some good friends on here and let them be your support group. Check out some of the success stories; there is no reason you can't be one of them!

Kudos for returning! That is dedication. You haven't given up.
  • Maggie_Pie1
    Maggie_Pie1 Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    3. Review the menu online before you go, pick what you will eat and enter it in MFP before you go.

I do this all the time. In fact, I pick restaurants specifically if they DO have their nutrition info available and on-line so I can figure out what I will let myself have before hand. Unfortunately, it's usually only the big chain restuarants that do, and I really like to support local 'mom and pop' type businesses... So, when I do go to a restaurant like that, I usually go with salads or something.
  • shadus
    shadus Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    One of the keys, in my opinion at least, is that you must log everything. no matter how little, no matter how trivial, no matter how bad you blew it. That way your mind doesn't help whitewash bad eating. Even if you blow it every day for a month log it all. If nothing else it's a visible tell that something is getting out of wack and you can see that you need to exercise more or eat less in the following days to help compensate and stay on track.

You CAN do this, the fact that you owned up to what you've did incorrectly says a lot for your dedication, a lot of people would have flat given up and quit-- you didn't. So get back up on the horse and ride again.

You're in it for the long haul and you can do this. Stick with it.