Weight Lifting for Women

Options
OK , So I know this ranks right up there with fad diets and controversy....but I am looking to tone and tighten for my wedding ( 4 months away ,,, holy crap!) Ladies, I am NOT afraid of having weird things happen on the scale as long as I LOOK good! What do you all reccommend as far as a routine to get me defined and sculpted ( but not uuber bulky). Any pointers are welcomed and APPRECIATED:o) Gimme your success stories!

Replies

• elvensnow
    elvensnow Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    There are so many of these posts lately! Or maybe I am just looking for them more... :)

I would recommend the book "New Rules of Lifting for Women". It lays it all out. If you want to have a great bod that's how. (It only costs about 10-15 dollars depending where you get it).

To summarize though: lift as heavy as you can for low (5-8) reps. Start slow but work your way up. Doing exercises like squats, lunges, planks, rows, push-ups, etc. The exercises that work large muscle groups.

I highly recommend the book. I've just started but am loving it so far.

Also, there's a group or two on the boards for that book where you can probably find more advice.
  • Ridumcowgirl
    Ridumcowgirl Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I will head to the bookstore today!:o) Thanks so much! This approach sounds effective and do-able!:smile:
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    There is no such thing as "toning."

There are several different programs out there.

A few that are popular on MFP:

New Rules of Lifting for Women
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/102-new-rules-of-lifting-for-women-nrol4w

Stronglifts 5x5
    http://stronglifts.com/stronglifts-5x5-beginner-strength-training-program/

Starting Strength
    http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wiki/The_Starting_Strength_Novice/Beginner_Programs
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    should've started when he proposed.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Options
    OK , So I know this ranks right up there with fad diets and controversy....but I am looking to tone and tighten for my wedding ( 4 months away ,,, holy crap!) Ladies, I am NOT afraid of having weird things happen on the scale as long as I LOOK good! What do you all reccommend as far as a routine to get me defined and sculpted ( but not uuber bulky). Any pointers are welcomed and APPRECIATED:o) Gimme your success stories!

neither will happen in four months.
  • Ridumcowgirl
    Options
    Thanks Adni, I will check this out for SURE. Thanks a million!:happy:
  • ahviendha
    ahviendha Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options

i respectfully disagree. i saw a lot of body changes within 3 months of lifting. higher and tighter butt, perkier boobs, arm definition.
  • Ridumcowgirl
    Options
    Capt_Apollo, I said tone and tighten not miracles...take your hating to another thread:o) And I have been lifting and working out religiously, I am just considering UPPING my weights.
  • elvensnow
    Options

Don't be such a downer.

To the OP: You won't be a sculpted goddess in 4 months, no, but you WILL make progress and you should see better tone and shape if you work at it for four months (a reduction in body fat% is most what you're looking for)! So I recommend starting ASAP.
  • 0ctobre
    0ctobre Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I am also looking to getting started lifting. I will be buying the New Rules of Lifting for Women book soon but I have been wondering: is it possible to do this with a home gym for a reasonable amount of money? I do not have a gym anywhere near my place and I don't own a car.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Options
    Capt_Apollo, I said tone and tighten not miracles...take your hating to another thread:o) And I have been lifting and working out religiously, I am just considering UPPING my weights.

don't consider it. do it.
  • murphy612
    murphy612 Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    Visible muscle definition really comes from fat loss, so make sure your 1st priority is your diet. Also, if you are eating at a deficit no matter what program you start using you're not going to gain muscle mass, especially in 4 months, but you will be able to maintain the lean muscle you have with a good strength training program so I wouldn’t hesitate to start one!! But again, focus on your diet you’ll be able to accomplish more with that in 4 months than lifting weights. However, you are going to be a beautiful bride regardless!!! Best wishes and good luck :)
  • Ridumcowgirl
    Options
    :wink: I am thanks Apollo I will be SURE to send you my results too, thanks for being one of THOSE types of motivators :o)
  • Capt_Apollo
    Options
    :wink: I am thanks Apollo I will be SURE to send you my results too, thanks for being one of THOSE types of motivators :o)

i do what i can.
  • elvensnow
    Options
    I am also looking to getting started lifting. I will be buying the New Rules of Lifting for Women book soon but I have been wondering: is it possible to do this with a home gym for a reasonable amount of money? I do not have a gym anywhere near my place and I don't own a car.

You could do everything in the book with a good set of dumbbells (will eventually need range up to 30-50lb a piece, but I doubt you'd start that high), and a swiss ball, AKA exercise ball, AKA balance ball. The dumbbells can be expensive. If you buy individually they price between $15-25 per weight (so maybe 30-50 for a matching set). You can get a whole set of weights for anywhere on a range from 200-500 or more depending on brand, sale, etc. The swiss balls are usually cheap around maybe 20-50 dollars tops. (These are general figures as it's been a while since I shopped for them)

It HELPS (a lot) if you have an Olympic (45 lb) barbell with weights and a squat rack. It also HELPS to have a cable machine for rows and other things. BUT these aren't absolutely necessary since you can do variations with free weights (dumbbells) and are much harder to afford on a budget or fit in a house.

Hope that helps.
  • Ridumcowgirl
    Options
    Aww thanks Murphy! Great advice!:o)
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    You can make some pretty good progress in 4 months.
  • timbrom
    timbrom Posts: 303 Member
    Options

Thread hijacking is usually frowned upon, but you can get really good deals secondhand. I built a pretty nice home gym for well under $500 buying most of the stuff off craigslist. I made my own power rack and bought rubber flooring from a Tractory Supply Company rather than an exercise place, because it's 1/4 the price. PM me if you want details.

And to the OP: Women who get super bulky are usually most, if not all of the following:

1. Genetic outliers
    2. Taking testosterone supplements
    3. Taking steroids
    4. Living in the gym
    5. Eating a ton of food on a very strict diet

So... Don't do those things and you won't get super bulky.
  • Ridumcowgirl
    Options
    Thanks lady! you look AMAZING! I will bust *kitten* until then for sure!
  • Ridumcowgirl
    Options
    You can make some pretty good progress in 4 months.
    Thanks girl! You look AMAZING! I will bust *kitten* until then for SURE!:)