butter or fake stuff?

Options
I am just curious how many of you use butter (lets say for toast) or anything fake (which to me is anything beside natural butter). I use butter but was at a friends house the other day and they had the country crock stuff and although it has no trans fat, it is made of like three different oils. How can that be? What do you guys use? Is the fake stuff worth it (health wise and calorie/fat wise)? :huh:

Replies

• jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    I use I cant believe its not butter spray for pretty much everything butter related, for toast, popcorn and even some stuff in cooking where it calls for a tablespoon of butter, and it has 0cals per serving (realistically some cals if you use a lot of it)
  • clovebud
    clovebud Posts: 15
    Options
    So you *spray* your toast? Does it really taste like butter?
  • ndm531
    ndm531 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Butter is one of those things I just haven't been able to fake. I would rather do without than use a lower calorie substitute. I have eliminated butter from the corn on the cob, from the potatoes and from the popcorn. But every now and then when we have crab, I have just a bit of melted butter with it and it is pure heaven!!!
  • nbingham
    nbingham Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I'd rather use real butter than all the fakey junk in the other stuff. I read an article somewhere that said that the hardeners they use in margarine are way worse for peoples hearts than butter. So I just use less of the real stuff.
  • bellanean
    bellanean Posts: 220
    Options
    I was brought up on fake butter. I dont even like real butter.
  • ♥jewelchristian♥
    ♥jewelchristian♥ Posts: 3,666 Member
    Options
    butter or margarine?

I trust cows over scientists ~ just my 2cents~
  • fowlmeli1093
    Options
    I love butter..but I do without both..I can't imagine those sprays and fake butters are any good for us.
  • nisijam5
    nisijam5 Posts: 10,390 Member
    Options
    I use Land 'o Lakes light butter with canola...
  • MacMadame
    MacMadame Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    Butter!

Most of the fake stuff is made from fats that aren't good for us anyway.

You can get away with a very small amount of butter just to get a taste and it's not a lot of calories or fat.
  • tralalara
    tralalara Posts: 149
    Options
    One word- Butter.
    Just less of it.
    Oh, and I eat whole eggs too.
  • jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    So you *spray* your toast? Does it really taste like butter?

Yeah I spray my toast, corn on cob and popcorn, its actually made with butter milk and for a sub is very tasty..
  • itsmenatalie
    itsmenatalie Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I will never give up real butter. I just have to account for it by cutting out in other areas.

I've heard lots of nasty stories about all the fake stuff...but honestly for me it just comes down to taste, lol. I LOVE butter.
  • ProTFitness
    ProTFitness Posts: 1,379 Member
    Options
    I dont use either unless I am baking then I use butter.I also use I cant believe spray once and a while. Never use margarine or that other crap. You dont need it on or in your foods it is just added calories and crap to them.
  • July24Lioness
    July24Lioness Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    I'd rather use real butter than all the fakey junk in the other stuff. I read an article somewhere that said that the hardeners they use in margarine are way worse for peoples hearts than butter. So I just use less of the real stuff.

Yep, this is exactly what I was going to say too.

Use something natural, not something made in a labratory.

I make my own butter while I sit and watch TV at night. All you need is some cream from a farm, a mason jar with a lid and some arm power to shake, shake, shake.
  • oonafey
    oonafey Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I used to buy the fake stuff, but all the ingredients I couldn't pronounce turned me off of it. I buy organic, unsalted butter and use less. I can't imagine the half teaspoon I use on my corn-on-the-cob twice a week is really hurting me.
  • Clew
    Clew Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    I cast my vote for real butter as well. More and more studies show that margarine/fake butter is even worse for you. Cows over chemistry is right! :smile:
  • BeautifulScarsWECHANGED
    Options
    I say if Great-Grandma didn't eat it, neither do I.
  • johnthefatman
    Options
    Churning your own sounds like a unique exercise - if you can resist 'testing' it too much! Its gotta be butter for me no subs but just spread thin not sliced - :laugh:

I use it for frying eggs for Sunday breakfast - it doesn't cost that many cals if your careful.

j

j
  • stringcheeze
    Options
    If I use 'butter' for anything, I use Smart Balance Lite.
    Despite SB's "synthetic" nature, I can't justify the cholesterol/saturated fat that's in real butter to use it instead.
  • ltlemermaid
    ltlemermaid Posts: 637 Member
    Options
    I use real butter-can't stand the taste of the fake stuff, let alone what those oils/chemicals do to the body. I just watch how mutch I use and adjust as needed. Over time I have found I only use butter on rare occasions.