Gym vs. Working out at home

Options
I have no idea if there was ever a topic about this, but which one would be better?? I mean gym equipment or workout videos?? Ugh, My birthday is in September and I need to lose 20 more pounds until then and I am stumped. I bike ride and walk though wouldn't those help?? I am just so flustered :(

Replies

• rolemodel69
    rolemodel69 Posts: 365
    Options
    I love to workout at home. Never have to wait for any machine, i can do whatever i want and i'm never afraid to look dumb in front of other, don't have to travel there and back every day so i save a lot of time, etc...

Nutrition is 80% of the equation for getting results so if you want to lose 20 pounds, this is the first place you should look at. Basically you need to calculate your needed calorie intake to maintain weight and you drop 500-1000 calories below that so your body is in a calorie deficit and start burning fat.

That what i love from home workout from brand like Beachbody, you get the program, the nutrition plan and you can find yourself a coach for free who will help you with your program.
  • yarmiah
    yarmiah Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Whichever one you are more likely to do is the one to go with.

In my opinion, cardio can be done just as easily at home or the gym, but strength training may be easier done at a gym just for the sheer amount of variety in equipment.

Working out is vital for weightloss, but without proper calorie management you may not reach your goals!
  • MikeInAZ
    MikeInAZ Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    Get yourself a jump rope and some cheap dumb bells. You can do a lot with that. Jumping rope for 10 minutes can burn 150-200 calories. Go to Walmart or Target and go to the sporting good area, look for a SPEED ROPE, not the cheapy ones they have in the toy/kids area for $1. A decent speed rope will be $10-$20.

I would suggest you look at doing a Boot Camp, HIIT Class, or Cross Fit class. Do it for about 4-8 weeks. Take really good notes as to what you did during that time. Use your new knowledge to build your own work out at home. These classes aren't cheap, usually like $100-150/month. BUT if you look on GroupOn or Living Social you can probably find a deal for like $50/mo. It's well worth it to use the trainer at first to learn how to do the exercises and to get ideas.

If you just go to a gym you MAY find yourself not knowing what to do and end up wasting time and money. Once you learn how to do these exercises on your own, you can do them at home, on vacation, in the park, where ever!! If you don't think you're motivated enough to just wake up and workout at home, then using a trainer/class will be good for you. It will make you accountable and motivate you.

Try this work out at home;

Jump Rope 10 Minutes

High Knees down and back (about 100 feet) X2
    Butt Kickers down and back (about 100 feet) X2
    Walking Lunges down and back (about 100 feet) X2
    Side Shuffles down and back X2

10 Sit Ups
    5 Push Ups
    10 Reverse Triceps dips (use a bench or sturdy chair)
    10 Step Ups (alternate the leg you step up on, use a bench or sturdy chair).
    Repeat 3X

5 minutes of jump rope

Go on YouTube and look up Boot Camp Exercises. You will find a lot you can do at home.
  • mikejholmes
    mikejholmes Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    For my money, you can't beat barbell training. Squats are the very best exercise you can do. If you're willing to invest in the equipment, then it'd be fine to do it at home, but I find the gym simpler. Starting Strength has 5 exercises that are very well described, and I've seen amazing results with it.

If you're just talking cardio, then do what you enjoy, what you'll keep doing. If classes motivate you, go to a gym and join classes. If you're good with a workout video, go for it. Basically, just keep moving!

And, as others have said, nutrition is most of the battle when it comes to weight loss.
  • andreascarff
    andreascarff Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone!! I am going to look into a bootcamp that is very popular here in my city and I am also going to make sure I get the nutrition I need and make sure I do everything properly.

Thank you again!!
  • Mario_Az
    Mario_Az Posts: 1,331 Member
    Options
    i do both home and gym use my pull up bar curl bar ab wheel roller
  • Bekahmardis
    Bekahmardis Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    I'm definitely a work out at home person. The amount of time spent packing a bag, driving (or riding a bike or walking, etc) to the gym, getting changed, working out, waiting for the equipment, chatting with others there, then showering, getting changed and driving back again? No thank you.

I walk down my stairs, I pull on my socks and shoes, I do my workout and then take a shower. I save at LEAST a half an hour if not an hour each time I do so simply by being at home.
  • TheEffort
    TheEffort Posts: 1,028 Member
    Options
    I prefer to workout at home...it's more about convenience for me...especially since I like to workout at 4:00 a.m. :)

8488541.png
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    Its entirely different for everyone...personally, I like the gym because I push myself harder there, and at home I'm much more of a slacker (because I know nobody is watching).
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    It depends on your fitness goals. Workout videos are a complete waste of time for me because they wouldn't do anything to get me anywhere near my fitness goals.

I have to hit the gym because I don't have room in my home for a power rack and what not. I also don't have room in my yard for a kick *kitten* obstacle course.
  • juliemouse83
    juliemouse83 Posts: 6,663 Member
    Options
    I knew I couldn't stay committed by (re)joining a gym. For me? It's just too easy to come home, sit down and say screw it, I'll just go tomorrow.

Fortunately, I had the space and the ability to get a squat rack, bench, barbell and plates, so it's just, you know, right there, and I can just do it. It's gotten so bad that because I love lifting so much, we're saving for a cage with pull up bar.

The best place to work out is the one you will actually GO to, and the best work out is the one that you actually want to do! :smile:
  • Iron_Lotus
    Iron_Lotus Posts: 2,295 Member
    Options
    I work out at home but certainly not with videos. I lift. I love working out at home. It's convenient, don't have to wait for equipment, you can play your own music, no gym douche bags to deal with ;P Love working out at home