ran my first 5K!!

Options
Went WAY better than expected!! Ran the whole thing in 26:58...not blazing fast, but unbelievable considering 3 months ago I could not run for 30 seconds with out stopping and gasping for air!!! Was weird passing people that looked like "seasoned runners" to me. Even after losing 55 pounds I still feel like a fat guy lots of the time. Anyways I had way more fun than I ever imagined doing it.

Really hooked on running right now, pushing to do a local 7mile race in a month (ran 5 for the first time last night) and then a 1/2 marathon this fall....Really need to start lifting, but with my busy life I just don't have time to do both. Might back the running off to one or two days a week to get some strength training in.

Replies

• msjames1999
    msjames1999 Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!!
  • huisfi
    huisfi Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Awesome! I just started couch to 5 k last week in hopes of not dying in a 5k my daughter wants to do in Sept. I can only hope to have as much success as you!
  • clarkeje1
    clarkeje1 Posts: 1,631 Member
    Options
    Nice! I did my first 5k in March and 10k in May. You should try an obstacle course, they are fun!
  • Montarosa456
    Montarosa456 Posts: 133
    Options
    Congrats! That's a great time, well done you :o)
  • RachelHoffman0709
    RachelHoffman0709 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    ran my first 5k in May then another in June! I have 2 more scheduled for this year, one in August and another in October. Loving it!
  • sue284
    sue284 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Well done - what a great achievement!
  • juliemouse83
    juliemouse83 Posts: 6,663 Member
    Options
    That you ran the whole thing is fantastic! That is one of my goals, as well.

Congrats!

Did a mud run in April, a color run last Saturday, signed up for a vanilla 5K in early October and another color run in late October. How is it that these things are so addicting, even to those of us that don't like to run, LOL?
  • SaishaLea
    SaishaLea Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Congrats!!! That is awesome!!
  • sweetpea03b
    sweetpea03b Posts: 1,124 Member
    Options
    Awesome! I ran my first this weekend also and bashed my best time coming in right at 30min :) It felt good being the "fat girl" passing all the thin people. I still have 30# to lose but my endurance is definately getting better!

Congrats!
  • Spindigo1
    Spindigo1 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    That's an amazing time! Congrats!
  • topskaren
    topskaren Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    That is so great you are doing really well keep up the good work :smokin:
  • 65svtfastback
    65svtfastback Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    That you ran the whole thing is fantastic! That is one of my goals, as well.

Congrats!

Did a mud run in April, a color run last Saturday, signed up for a vanilla 5K in early October and another color run in late October. How is it that these things are so addicting, even to those of us that don't like to run, LOL?

Ya, I was not ready for the addicting part...honestly I kind of planned on it being a every once in a while thing, but I had a blast!!
  • silvergurl518
    silvergurl518 Posts: 4,123 Member
    Options
    that is an amazing time for your first go! my best 5K was 37 minutes. and i've done a bunch of these. i'm glacially slow but whatever, i get 'er done!!
  • AlistairBernardNormal
    AlistairBernardNormal Posts: 989 Member
    Options
    Congrats! That is a great time! Good luck training for the half – it’s tough, but as you said, it is so addicting!
  • dougii
    dougii Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    Congrats! That is a great time for a first 5K. Started running a little over a year ago and would rather run than any other exercise! Just be careful you don't increase your mileage too fast or you will run the risk of injury which can set you back months. Best to follow the 10%/week rule or something close to it. Good luck training for the 1/2 - you will really enjoy it!
  • keenho
    keenho Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Nicely done! My first 5K (2001) I ran it in about 34 minutes! Wait, ran isn't quite the right word. I was huffing, puffing and caughing up a lung. I was at that point around 216 lbs. and very out of shape. I have since ran 57 5K's, 28 Half Marathons and 21 Marathons plus some other races! Running is a definite boost to my weight loss, health, success and confidence. I hope you'll keep on running!
  • 65svtfastback
    65svtfastback Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Congrats! That is a great time for a first 5K. Started running a little over a year ago and would rather run than any other exercise! Just be careful you don't increase your mileage too fast or you will run the risk of injury which can set you back months. Best to follow the 10%/week rule or something close to it. Good luck training for the 1/2 - you will really enjoy it!

Thanks for that advise...I've actually been wondering that. I have been trying to increase 1/2 mile a week...sometimes it works sometimes not :)
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!