Camping

Options
J5414
J5414 Posts: 24 Member
My family and I (My husband, myself and 3 kids under 11) are getting ready to go camping for 4 days. Does anyone have advice for cheap and healthy meals and snacks that will last in the woods?

Replies

• howardheilweil
    howardheilweil Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    Beef/Turkey jerky, apples, variety of fresh vegetables, canned fruit in natural juice, ... There's a lot of things you can bring.
  • LishieFruit89
    LishieFruit89 Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    Real camping or campground camping?
  • geekette411
    geekette411 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Hard boiled eggs!
  • sunshyncatra
    sunshyncatra Posts: 598 Member
    Options
    Hard boiled eggs are good. Will you have a cooler?
  • rsimoneau1
    rsimoneau1 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Foil Dinners! Easy to make! Turkey sausage (low sodium), veggies some Italian dressing, Make a packet out of tinfoil, put it all in, double wrap it, and throw in fire. Easy! You can substitute the meat:

1 hamburger patty
    onions
    peppers
    mushrooms
    BBQ sauce

Yummy.....
  • kylieclowe
    Options
    My mom always brought Quaker instant oatmeal for breakfast, bananas and apples for snacks, and LOTS of water.
    Remember, because you're out and about and doing things all day you can have more good fats and carbs to provide your body with sufficient energy.
    My personal favorite: Put olive oil, seasonings to taste, potato, ground turkey or beef, zucchini or squash, onion, and whatever other veggies you like. Wrap them in tin foil and stick 'em in the coals for 45 minutes (keep checking them) until the potato is soft and the meat is cooked. Then just pop them out, stick them on a plate, and enjoy. Make sure you give them time to cool before the kids try to eat them; my fingers always end up burnt because I'm so hungry by the time they're done and they smell amazing!
    Have fun and good luck!:smile:
  • RobinvdM
    RobinvdM Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    Make up a batch of these, they are amazing and filling.
    http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/food-network-kitchens/fig-and-walnut-energy-bars-recipe/index.html

When I go camping I stick with what I usually take, only curb back on the junk. Pack homemade trailmix, fruits that are lightweight and have a decent anti-squish factor, the healthiest choices you can find; if you are taking meat (prefreeze the correct portions per meal.) Healthy food at camp isn't too much different than what youd normally take - just pay atten to portions, and keep yourselves busy and away from the snack/junk food temptations. Not saying DON'T am saying, set yourself up for success.

I am going this year. I have portioned out and prefrozen turkey franks, low sodium bacon, 93% lean hburger, and chkn breast. I have plans to take oranges and apples, a batch of those fig bars, and stuff to make smores with - cause it aint camping without smores.

GLuck to you!
  • J5414
    J5414 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Real camping
  • sunshyncatra
    sunshyncatra Posts: 598 Member
    Options
    If you are doing a camp fire and have a pot for water, bring dry couscous and freezer Ziploc baggies. You can pour the hot water and dry couscous straight in the baggie to cook. It is super easy and compact to carry.
  • jaq_attaq
    jaq_attaq Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I was just coming on here to ask the same question! Only difference is that I'm campground camping ("cheating") and only have adults to feed. : )

Love the suggestions here so far, but I live in a fire-prone area and am going to a national park so I'm not sure campfires will be allowed. Any cold meal suggestions? I'll have a car so could even grab dinner and bring it back to the campsite. I'm just nervous about going off book for a couple of days when I'm pretty new to MFP etc. Plus those damn s'mores are always so so so tempting...
  • Sylvitryinghard
    Sylvitryinghard Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    Mushrooms and onions with a bit herbs and low fat butter in a foil on the grill. YUM!

Hard boiled eggs

a pack of low fat soft cheese or feta cheese

grilled bell peppers or potatoes
  • lavaughan69
    lavaughan69 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I usually put together a spreadsheet with my meal plan and grocery list when I go camping. It not only helps me organize my meals but helps me stay on plan when I'm away. Here's a couple things I like to do.

Put a flank steak and marinade in a freezer bag and freeze. I will do that one night for dinner along with sauteed veggies and the next day I will use the leftovers to make wraps. Same thing with chicken breasts, I prepackage them in marinade and freeze. Dinner one night, wraps for lunch the next day. The frozen meat helps keep other things cold too. :-)

I also pack a lot of veggies for snacking.

For an evening treat I do banana boats (slice a banana, put in a few chocolate chips and a few mini marshmallows, wrap in tinfoil and set by the campfire) or I do backed apples, (core an apple, put in a small pat of butter, cinnamon, splenda or sugar and a caramel or two, wrap in foil and set by the campfire)

There's a huge advantage to being the person in control of the shopping/cooking/menu! If I'm eating healthy then everyone is eating healthy! :-)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    I eat pretty much the same stuff camping as I do at home....

nuts and/or trail mix for snacks

fresh fruit

sammiches or salads for lunch

dinners consisting of some sort of protein, a veggie side and starch/grain

eggs and bacon for breakfast...pancakes on occasion.
  • alglenn2013
    alglenn2013 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    If you're going to have access to fire and a pot to boil water in, this pinterest link shows you how to do a campfire omelet! You can mix up the eggs ahead of time and store it in a milk jug or other water-tight container, and you can chop the veggies and other fillings ahead of time too! I bet the kiddies will love personalizing their breakfast!

http://pinterest.com/pin/553520610421775907/
  • GorillaNJ
    GorillaNJ Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    I always like doing Hobo packs.. get some chicken and veggies wrap them in aluminum foil and let them cook next to the fire. More or less steams them all together.... easy cook and clean up.

BUT your camping (with kids) so make sure there are plenty of hotdogs! Perfect campground food!
  • lizzzylou
    lizzzylou Posts: 325
    Options
    Real camping or campground camping?

this.
  • skaimee
    skaimee Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I freeze watermelon, grapes in ziploc bags and use them as freezer packs in the cooler. You can also bring popcorn and nuts.
  • slimforparis
    slimforparis Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Yum! My fave camping recipe is risotto with veggies and bacon. Those foil dinners on the camp fire are good fun too.

Have a great time!
  • Lift_Run_Eat
    Lift_Run_Eat Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    I like to pre-make pulled pork. I then Freeze it. When we go camping, I can just throw it in the cooler and it will stay colder longer.
    At the campsite, usually the second day or so, I will put it in a pot or pan over the fire and re-heat.

You can also buy pre-made pulled pork and do the same thing.
  • Lift_Run_Eat
    Lift_Run_Eat Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    I was just coming on here to ask the same question! Only difference is that I'm campground camping ("cheating") and only have adults to feed. : )

Love the suggestions here so far, but I live in a fire-prone area and am going to a national park so I'm not sure campfires will be allowed. Any cold meal suggestions? I'll have a car so could even grab dinner and bring it back to the campsite. I'm just nervous about going off book for a couple of days when I'm pretty new to MFP etc. Plus those damn s'mores are always so so so tempting...

When we have been under burn bans, we were still allowed to use the campsite grills. (no wood, charcoal only). You can also get a site with electrical outlets (Tent camping is allowed in RV camping areas at a lot of places). We have an RV, but I still prefer to cook with my griddle outside. With outlets, you could also use a crockpot, electric skillet, or other electrical cooking device.

If you do not have, you could also purchase propane stoves. Those should also still be allowed. (Just check with the ranger first when you check in)