8 Amazing Fitness Facts You Ignored For Sure

Options
Interesting article filled with tidbits:
http://www.youcefbanouni.com/388/8-exercise-facts-you-ignored-for-sure/

1. A dehydration of 2% of your water volume can result in a decrease of muscular performance of 20 to 30%
2. When fasting for a long period (several days in a row, without eating ANYTHING), 30% of the weight loss is muscle loss.
3. Detraining (when you stop training) from resistance training for 2 weeks results on average in the loss of the performance acquired in 3 to 5 months of serious training. In aerobics (depending on studies/people) 8 weeks to 8 months are sufficient to lose ALL OF THE AEROBIC PERFORMANCE.
4. One can lose most of their fat by ONLY changing their diet, and with NO exercise whatsoever. The fact that exercise is necessary to lose fat is one of the most established and suffer-inducing social myths.
5. Full-body training maximizes hormonal response and therefore muscle development
6. The 3 standard (non-failure) sets or more do not provide more results than 1 single set to failure (muscle hypertrophy).
7. A caffeine intake of 13mg/kg of body mass can increase your peak force by about 50%
8. Fast music during effort makes you consume more calories

More detail and sources in the original article.

Discuss?

Replies

• brillmer
    brillmer Posts: 1,268 Member
    Options
    4. One can lose most of their fat by ONLY changing their diet, and with NO exercise whatsoever. The fact that exercise is necessary to lose fat is one of the most established and suffer-inducing social myths.

Best tip anyone can ever retain or understand. I am living proof of it. Lost 50 pounds (mainly of fat) without doing any exercise at all. Simply caloric deficit and cleaning up my eating habits.

I try to get this point across to as many people as I talk to.

Great post, mrs mack =)
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    #4 surprises me.
    #7 is interesting... 50%??? That's roughly 1000mg for me. That seems like a lot, but I have no idea.
  • jacksonpt
    Options

Best tip anyone can ever retain or understand. I am living proof of it. Lost 50 pounds without doing any exercise at all.

Great post, mrs mack =)

Most people on the boards and in the fitness community don't think weight loss = fat loss necessarily.
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    #4 surprises me.
    #7 is interesting... 50%??? That's roughly 1000mg for me. That seems like a lot, but I have no idea.

Yeah it's a lot. The original article says 15 shots of espresso or something to achieve it. Who would do that?! :laugh:
  • jacksonpt
    Options
    #4 surprises me.

Yeah it's a lot. The original article says 15 shots of espresso or something to achieve it. Who would do that?! :laugh:

lol... ok, that makes more sense then.
  • froeschli
    froeschli Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    #4 surprises me.

i'd be resting my head on the toilet waiting to throw up, not exercising with increased performance :ohwell:
  • LaurnWhit
    LaurnWhit Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Wow! Thanks for posting!
  • Shetchncn1
    Shetchncn1 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    #4 surprises me.

Why not sleeping is overrated anyway :)
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    #4 surprises me.

I bet you could produce 50% more force after 15 shots of espresso. And you'd be able to fall asleep 3 days later.
  • MzManiak
    MzManiak Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options

Best tip anyone can ever retain or understand. I am living proof of it. Lost 50 pounds without doing any exercise at all.

Great post, mrs mack =)

No. One can lose WEIGHT with only diet change. It will not all be fat. Without exercise, there will be a significant percentage of muscle mass along with the fat. You can actually increase your body fat % while eating at a deficit and losing weight.
  • froeschli
    froeschli Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    Ah, but it doesn't say FAT ONLY. If you haven't got that much muscle to begin with, you won't miss it much after.
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    #4 doesn't surprise me, all that is necessary for fat loss is a caloric deficit, that being said, weight lifting and adequate protein in take during fat loss will allow for the lowest muscle loss during weight loss
  • missshyeviolett
    missshyeviolett Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    #4 surprises me.

CHALLENGE ACCEPTED! Lol
  • moosegt35
    moosegt35 Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    8) fast music during effort makes you consume more calories.

What does this even mean?
  • timpicks
    timpicks Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    It means Ramones.
  • brillmer
    brillmer Posts: 1,268 Member
    Options
    #4 doesn't surprise me, all that is necessary for fat loss is a caloric deficit, that being said, weight lifting and adequate protein in take during fat loss will allow for the lowest muscle loss during weight loss
    ^ This.
  • rharris86dc
    rharris86dc Posts: 635 Member
    Options

I was wondering the same thing! When I listen to fast music while working out, it pushes me to work harder. When I have a great workout, I tend to eat less.

But I'm sure if I was listening to fast music while eating, I'd probably eat more. Which is why I don't, lol.
  • skparker2
    skparker2 Posts: 132
    Options

Great post, mrs mack =)

No. One can lose WEIGHT with only diet change. It will not all be fat. Without exercise, there will be a significant percentage of muscle mass along with the fat. You can actually increase your body fat % while eating at a deficit and losing weight.

That's what I was thinkin'! Not fat, weight! Trust me, I've had an uber busy month of overtime at work and my gym time has drastically dropped. Yet, I've been attempting to keep at a deficit and still am losing. A heck of a lot slower, but I'm still losing weight. Just dropped 2-3 pounds over the past week and a half (mostly due to stress, haha) but still!
  • skparker2
    skparker2 Posts: 132
    Options

It means listening to some B.A. music while pumpin' iron, man!!! Fast-paced music gets you up and goin' and your heart beats faster. LOL, I listen to Black Veil Brides or heavy rock when working out. Good times :D
  • moosegt35
    moosegt35 Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    Yea, I do that too. But what does that have to do with how many calories I consume (eat)?