Morning Workout Motivation

Options
I'm trying to switch my workouts over to the AM...but am THE WORST at waking up early. Would like to get up around 5:30 and squeeze in a workout before heading to work at 8:00. What are some ways people motivate themselves to get up and get to the gym in the mornings? Need some major help!

Replies

• kmanus
    kmanus Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Having the evening to do whatever is my biggest motivator - whether its just watching TV or working on my side business. Plus it frees you up in case something comes up at work (or after work - like happy hour :-) )

Plus you can go to work feeling accomplished for the day - no need to worry about trying to cram in a workout later.
  • wiremog
    wiremog Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I find I have to give myself enough time to wake up properly first, and then the main thing I do is not give myself a choice. Once I've been awake for 30 minutes, I absolutely HAVE to get up and put my gym gear on, no alternative. If I fail to get to the gym in the morning it's usually because I've managed to talk myself out of it somehow ;)
  • _xXJennXx_
    _xXJennXx_ Posts: 3,290 Member
    Options
    I get up at 5am, do my 1/2 hour walk then get back fix my coffee and get ready for work, since I have to be at work by 7am. I don't like being up that early but it gives me some time to enjoy before work and I know my workout is done. Is kinda neat watching the sunrise that early, suns up by 5:30am here.
  • ktay9
    ktay9 Posts: 7
    Options
    Yes! That's what I keep telling myself...I feel like working out in the morning is so much more reliable. Less of a chance for an excuse to pop up...no decision between dinner with friends or gym. My biggest problem is when I'm lying in bed in the morning and that alarm is going off remembering all these motivators! That's where I need help.
  • tavenne323
    tavenne323 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    When my alarm goes off, I immediately have to use the bathroom... I change into my workout gear right away. I have to eat before I go, so I get my smoothie made and take of before opening my computer. Then I don't have to think about it throughout the day and I have the afternoon and evening to relax (yoga). After a week or so, you end up going to bed a little earlier and that makes it easier. Plus, in the summer the sun is rising earlier, which also makes it easier.
  • _xXJennXx_
    _xXJennXx_ Posts: 3,290 Member
    Options
    Once you get used to it it's not so bad, most of the time I wake up before my alarm goes off. Since I'm pretty used to being up by then. It is nice to have it done with and not have to worry about it.
  • Coquette6
    Coquette6 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Everything ready the night before, even down to my breakfast laid out as much as possible. Do not press snooze! Get out of bed immediately as soon as the alarm goes off and wash your face/get dressed/etc whatever your morning routine usually is. The first day is the hardest. That afternoon, when you can stroll out of work and go straight home and you know that the work-out is already done... That's the best feeling, it really is and you can use that feeling as motivaiton for the next early morning. Summer is a great time to start this habit too because of the earlier sunrise (assuming you're in the Northern hemisphere, otherwise ignore this).

Something else that helped me is not jumping in with both feet. So on Monday, I get up at 5:20 and in the gym by 6 am. But Tuesday? I sleep until 7 am. Knowing that makes Monday much easier. "I just have to get through today, then I can 'sleep in' tomorrow."
  • ktay9
    ktay9 Posts: 7
    Options
    Awesome! All great things to know. Thanks!
  • Richie2shoes
    Richie2shoes Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    I just switched back to mornings. I moved the alarm clock to the other side of the room, so that I HAVE to get out of bed to turn it off. Then I immediately hop in the shower for a quick rinse, just 2 or 3 minutes. It wakes me up and once out of the shower, I won't climb back in bed.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I get my workout clothes out the night before. Workout planned - I workout at home, so if it's a DVD, have it loaded, or weights ready, whatever. And have the mindset that when the alarm goes off, it's up and at 'em, get dressed and get to it.

It was hard at first, but I've been working out at 5am for well over a year now. Another part of my motivation was realizing that the feeling of regret later in the day for not getting it done was worse than the effort it takes to get out of bed and just do it.
  • proudjmmom
    proudjmmom Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I get up at 615 for a 630am walk. Soon as the alarm goes off, I hop out of bed without thinking. I also lay out my clothes, gear before going to bed. I have a buddy I walk with, which helps keep me motivated, feel like I have to be on time for her, don't wanna keep someone waiting right? We usually walk for an hour. I find it sets my day, and I feel accomplished when I get home, knowing I've already went for a walk. Plus my Black Lab looks forward to it too :D
  • emyishardcore
    emyishardcore Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    I try to get out of bed at 6am and try to be out at around 7:30am for my exercise.
  • lmw6796
    lmw6796 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I've been working out at 5am for the past year. I love the energy I get for the day from doing that. I also LOVE knowing that when my work day is done I have time to do what I want. It also keeps me honest in what I eat. I don't want to waste all the effort from working out by making bad food choices. Give it a solid 3 weeks. It will become habit! Good luck!
  • SarahIluvatariel
    SarahIluvatariel Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Motivation #1) I wake up to a Pandora radio station on my smart phone - happy, energetic, positive music (Britt Nicole, Mandisa, Meredith Andrews, etc.). I have another app that launches Pandora a minute before my alarm goes off.

Motivation #2) I'm usually sore when I wake up - maybe because I'm overweight; maybe because I slept wrong, or maybe because I had an awesome workout at the gym the day or two before. (It's becoming increasingly for the third reason! NSV, yay!). But I know that going to the gym again helps me loosen up and work out the kinks. --so I feel better again sooner than I would have if I'd just kept wallowing my my soreness all day. I usually take it slow for the first part of my morning gym routine. If I'm extra sore, I do some of my own water aerobics or swimming in the gym pool instead of the usual treadmill/elliptical. If I'm extra-extra sore or just really feeling lazy or off that day, I just float around in the pool or hot tub, enjoying myself. It's a nice reward for the fact that I still got out of bed and made the effort to get to the gym.

Motivation #3) It makes me feel really great for the next couple hours. (Once that post-exercise high wears off, I'm usually a bit sad, and wish I could go back to the gym. lol)

Motivation #4) The gym is sort of on my way to work. So I shower and get ready for work at the gym. Then I don't have to go back home again, which would make me feel like I'm going backwards in my day or slowing down too much, again. It keeps me going, and gives me more time at the gym. In order for this to really work, when I wake up, I get out of bed and then change into my work clothes (except fresh underware - which I throw in my purse (and which I try to keep extra pairs of, in my car, just in case.)) --even though I haven't showered yet and I still feel a little gross. Then I pack my gym bag (or it's still in my car from the day before). This way, I'm able to MAKE SURE I have everything I need for work--since I would otherwise be paranoid about forgetting something. Sure, it's inconvenient to have to change again when I get to the gym, but I'd rather forget a crucial-gym-item than forget a crucial-work-item.

Motivation #5) It's so nice to wake up, go to the gym and get gross, then shower and scrub away all the grossness, and then be clean and fresh and happy for work. I only have to shower once per day, if I don't go back to the gym again later. It makes me feel a little clever and efficient. lol But anyways, a shower where I get to scrub off sweat feels so much more awesome than just a normal shower where I wasn't really sweaty and gross in the first place and don't feel like I need to scrub too much.

Motivation #6) I have always been kinda messy at home and struggled to keep up with my cleaning and laundry. I've also recently had a few too many run-ins with athlete's foot and ringworm (possibly from the gym, or possibly from not washing my sheets often enough). So I've decided to be more diligent about both. So, on my non-gym week-morning (each Wednesday, for me), I wake up at the same time (5:30) so that I can keep my alarm clock settings the same to help my body get used to getting up early. Then I clean my house (I live alone, so I can get away with vacuuming at 6am without bothering anyone) and wash my sheets. This also makes it easier to be gone on the weekends to visit family or vacation or whatever --since I don't rely on the weekends to clean my house.

Oh, yeah: and it's nice to get it "out of the way". Although that's not usually one of my primary motivators. But it's true nonetheless.

I hope you find some good ideas from this thread!

Anyways, my best advice is to work hard one day so you're sore the next and have to go to the gym the next morning to work out the kinks. ;) (don't overdo it, though. A little sore can be good - as it is in my case. but a lot sore isn't so good.)
  • cesse47
    cesse47 Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    I'm in my first week and still focused on getting on track with the food. Next week I plan to add in the exercise portion. I do walk every morning and have done so for several years. What works for me is to have my clothes and shoes set out in the bathroom each night before I go to bed. Then I set the alarm clock - a very LOUD alarm clock- which is located in my bathroom. When the alarm goes off, I have to get out of bed and go to the bathroom to turn it off. From there it's a matter of starting my daily routine: brush teeth, brush hair, wash face, get dressed to lace up shoes ... and leave for my morning walk.

Find what works for you by trial and error ... then make it a habit! Good Luck!
  • Faery_Dust
    Faery_Dust Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I get up to work out at 5am most mornings. For me, once I am out of bed then I am fine, its just the getting out of the pit lol.

I bought a cheap and naff alarm clock, one that does a really loud and awful ERRRRR ERRRRR ERRRRRR noise lol. I have it on the other side of the room so I have to get out of bed and turn it off. Once I am physically out of bed, the chance of me staying up is much better than rolling over and hitting snooze while still laying in bed.
  • bcf7683
    bcf7683 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    1. I sleep in my workout clothes = Already ready to workout as soon as I wake up

2. I have my shoes and bag together ready to go sitting on the kitchen table. Grab'n'go

3. I drink a large glass of water before bed. When my alarm goes off I'm usually about to pee my pants so I need to get up anyways.

It gets easier as your body gets used to it. The first couple weeks are the hardest. I get up at 4:30, so I try to be diligent about getting to bed by 9:30.

I enjoy having my nights free, so it's worth it for me.
  • Browneyedgirl140
    Browneyedgirl140 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I found this: http://www.sparkpeople.com/blog/blog.asp?post=how_to_make_yourself_work_out_when_its_dark_out

I have been struggling really bad summer. I can do tips 1-3 but then I hit the snooze. I am going to try to play music to see if that will get me going.
  • SarahIluvatariel
    SarahIluvatariel Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I thought of one more:

Motivation #7) I have a nearby lamp switch that I can reach from laying in my bed. So I turn the light on when my alarm goes off. That helps me start thinking like an alert person. ;)
  • norahwynn
    norahwynn Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    I found that I am very groggy in the morning...."what is that sound?", "why am I awake when it's still dark outside?", "what the hell is going on??".

Then I changed my alarm to the 'Rocky' theme. From the time I open my eyes, I know what the hell is going on and what my mission is. For me, it's the best reminder and motivator.

:smokin: