Muscle Milk

Options
Hey guys!

Wondering if Muscle Milk is a good protein supplement, or should I go with something else and Why???

Thanks!

Replies

• explosivedonut
    explosivedonut Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I think making your own is better. Buy protein powder and make your own shakes. It will be cheaper, and you have more control over the ingredients. Hope that helps!
  • FreddyObrian
    FreddyObrian Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    You'll want to view your protein supplement as a food source and simply add it into your diary accordingly.

Muscle Milk (1 Scoop) 150 Calories - 6g (F), 9g (C), 16g (P)

So lets say you choose Muscle Milk. You're committing yourself to 150 calories. Lets compare it to another brand, Vitamin Shoppe Bodytech Pro (just one I use):

Vitamin Shoppe Bodytech Pro (1 Scoop) 110 Calories - 1g (F), 3g (C), 24g (P)

Using the Bodytech Pro, you would save 40 calories, that's about 1 cup of strawberries you can eat with your protein shake and still would of taken in more protein than muscle milk.

If you find it difficult to acquire fats from other foods, perhaps Muscle Milk is a good choice, otherwise, you could search other lower calorie options. The above is assuming water instead of milk of course. Adjust to your macros accordingly.

So many variables, haha :P That's just my take anyway.
  • latinpr
    latinpr Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I second this. Muscle Milk is great if you can't find a way to eat good fats. Otherwise, for my personal tastes anyway, it doesn't have enough protein and too high in fat. You're better off getting Gold Standard Whey to get more protein and less fat, plus it's more cost effective.

Also, don't get the RTD stuff (ready to drink aka bottled protein shakes). While they taste much better than the powdered stuff they are very, very expensive. As said above, better off getting the powder yourself, getting some low fat or fat free milk, some fruit, and making it yourself.
  • Chrissysftns
    Chrissysftns Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    hmmm..Okay, Good points :)

WHat about the amount of Amino acids that it contains? Doesn' that play a huge role in muscle development?

Are amino acids something that I need to take into consideration as well?

Man, I'm full of questions! :laugh:
  • Alphastate
    Alphastate Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Aminos do play a role in muscle development, as they help synthesize protein. You could always get an amino supplement, but it's not as necessary depending on what your goals are. Sometimes, the aminos in powder is plenty.
  • Chrissysftns
    Options
    Thanks! I guess I'll go ahead and open up the Muscle Milk..Doesn't sound like it's too bad considering it was only like $20 for a huge tub. I think I can spare the extra cals and fat. I find that I have to force myself to eat the rest of my calories just to meet my goals anyways.

Thanks again :)
  • explosivedonut
    explosivedonut Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Chrissy, I misunderstood, I assumed you meant the premade drinks they sell. My bad. If it's the powder, which I didn't know they sold, the price probably all comes out in the wash.
  • Chrissysftns
    Options
    yeah, it's just the Powder that I bought :)
    No worries, thanks for your input!