This is making no sense....Uncontrollable weight gain!

Options
I went from 143 pounds at 16 years old to 116 at 17 years old and back up to 136 and I'm 18 :( I am 5'4. I am sooo upset. None of my clothes fit. I stopped weighing myself in April when I weighed 130 and since then have been dieting, but when I stepped on the scale I weighed 133!!! Then I started exercising for a week and I weigh 136!!!! Help! I am freaking out! I am going to college soon and I don't wanna be the fat pig I was when I was 16. Why am I gaining weight? I eat about 1200 calories a day and theoretically should weigh 125 right now but instead I'm 136. I don't understand. I thought exercise would help but it made me put on another pound! I eat stevia and I used to smoke but I quit. I also chew a lot of gum. Could those things be factors?? Helphelphelp I want to weigh 125 by mid- July! Someone tell me how eating 1200 calories and exercising isn't working?
I got to 116 by exercising and eating only 700 - 1200 calories a day, which is unhealthy. I ate stevia back then and chewed a lot of gum. Durig the year I went through a period where I drank diet soda and smoked, do you think those messed up my metabolism? I haven't touched diet soda since march though. And I haven't smoked since April. What in the world is going on????????? Is something wrong with my thyroid?

Replies

• alisaprince1
    Options
    Diet soda is horrible for you! How many calories are you eating now and what BF% are you at?
  • SarahIluvatariel
    SarahIluvatariel Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    You're still a teenager, so you're still growing. Between 16 and 18, you've gotten taller, right? Your muscles and everything have needed to adjust for that. Don't stress too much.

I have heard that smoking (or not smoking) affects weight. But I'm not sure about the details (I think you lose when you start, and gain when you quit). At any rate, it's not good for you, so it's great that you quit. :) Be proud of your healthy choice, even if it affects your weight in a way you wouldn't prefer.

I've also heard that when you build muscle, you also retain more water, because the muscle needs more water to repair itself. I wouldn't actually be too worried about the change from 133 to 136, if you started working out at the same time. That's probably a good, healthy thing.
  • allaboutthecake
    allaboutthecake Posts: 1,531 Member
    Options
    A lot depends on your nutrition. Are you eating from every food group? Eating too much of one specific food group? Watching sodium intake? Drinking lots water? Eating clean, fresh, whole food vs processed? Leaving fast food behind? Getting plenty of sleep on a regular schedule? Those all affect your ability to maintain or lose weight.
  • mrsriisky
    mrsriisky Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Agree with the above, you are still growing, your body is changing- and you are at a healthy weight! It's very difficult to lose weight when you are in a healthy range. Also, the 3lbs can easily be water weight, having not gone to the bathroom recently, muscles retaining water- don't stress about fluctuations. If it is a trend, then, yes, it is indicative.

My best advice to you? You sound a lot like me when I was your age. Even though I was at a healthy weight, I wanted to be slimmer- most young women do. Be careful that you don't end up obsessing over it- my tip off was your use of the term "fat pig". I called myself that, all those years ago. It caused me to obsess about the scale and miss out on so many things in my late teens because I was constantly thinking about my weight.

Eat healthy, exercise, maybe pick up an active hobby- rollerblading, sports, whatever you like, and enjoy it! If weighing yourself every day is stressing you out, just get rid of the scale for a month and focus on how you feel. Make healthy choices, and you will be fine!

This is all just my opinion, of course, but I see so much of my self at your age in your post. I wish, so badly that I could go back in time and say those things to my younger self.
  • jaabee11
    jaabee11 Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Try to not think about the weight you need to be by that date but the clothes size. You can be losing inches but not weight. That's happened to me plenty of times. Your body changes and adjusts as you continue. The worst thing to do is give up.
    I know it can be confusing and frustrating but keep doing what you've been doing and it will work.
    Keep in mind losing weight is mostly about diet so look at that first. Weigh your food. Enter everything including your drinks. Concentrate on that , you'll see results.
    Gradually improve your diet, you'll see a loss.
    I remember upping my exercise last year and started to gain, lots of people had lots of advice. I've come to realise its va balance of what's right for you,
    Good luck.
  • mrsriisky
    mrsriisky Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Also want to add that you may be eating too few calories. I am very close in height and weight to you, and was getting nowhere at 1200- I recently upped to 1450 and have started losing- I'm thinking that my body simply wasn't getting enough food to keep it fueled and sabotaging my progress.
  • nickymarie011
    nickymarie011 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    You say you quit smoking in April. Considering it is June and only two months prior you had quit, yes, you could have gained a couple pounds due to quitting smoking. Typically, people gain anywhere from 2-8 pounds during the first three months or so after they quit. Congrats to quitting by the way, it's the smart thing to do and your body will thank you for it when you're older. I myself quit in January, ate the same as I did, worked out the same as I did and STILL gained an additional 12 pounds ..and I do blame it on quitting smoking.

You are actually at a healthy weight now, for your age and height. I really do get where you're coming from cause I am struggling with the same issue right now, except I am a tad older than you. Have you been taking measurements? Focus on the measurements and NOT the scale. It is the darn devil. You may also want to speak with a nutritionist or a professional about how many calories you should be consuming. 1200 is low...are you eating back exercise cals as well?