Quick Lunches

Options
inskydiamonds
inskydiamonds Posts: 2,519 Member
My lunch breaks on several days a week are rather short and I usually make myself a sandwich during them. I've found that the Orrowheat bread thins are only 100 calories for a roll, so it makes eating a sandwich totally practical since it doesn't have so much bread.

But.. I'm starting to get sick of them. What other lunches do you guys eat that I could make and eat in less than an hour?

Replies

• sarahliftsUP
    sarahliftsUP Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    Leftovers from the previous night are awesome.. sometimes I will make extra just so I can have it for lunch the next day.

Soups are another good one.. just have to be careful for the sodium levels on them. Some are ridicously high.

Subway is one of my favourites! I go for no cheese, veggie delight on honey oat bread, with a little bit of light mayo and mustard.

Wraps -- filled with vegetables and for condiments usually roasted red pepper humus.

Hope this helps a little bit.
  • scrappymel
    scrappymel Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    i really like the flatbread wraps. they are 100 calories as well. i also like whole wheat/low carb tortillas and seasoned fajita meat (it's usually from the night before). just a few seconds in the microwave and it's ready to enjoy.
  • Pinky_Calhoun
    Pinky_Calhoun Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Bumble Bee Tuna Sensations & 100 Caloroe Chips
    Starkist Tuna Salad Sandwich Ready Packs on a Sandwich Thin w/Crunch Pak Apple Slices
    Subway Veggie Delight and Fat Free Lay's
    Cheese Toast w/ Ezekiel Bread & Muenster Cheese
    Peanut Butter & Strawberry Jam w/Dannon Greek Yogurt
  • tgaspard
    tgaspard Posts: 22
    Options
    Healthy choice Cafe Steamers are really good.
    A nice salad with lots of veggies and some chicken for protein (you can make the little chicken tenderloins ahead of time or grab a bag of pre-cooked chicken strips from the grocery store)
    Leftovers! I always cook big over the weekend and put lunch size portions in ziplock bags for lunch.
    Today I'm having some chicken I cooked last night and a little broccoli...5 minutes or less in the microwave and I'm ready to eat! :)
  • FoamyRiver
    FoamyRiver Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Low fat cottage cheese and fruit.
  • Mirlyn
    Mirlyn Posts: 256
    Options
    I always keep a huge tub of tuna salad in the fridge and eat it several different ways throughout the week. Sometimes on a sandwich thin, sometimes on top of some shredded lettuce and other veggies (the tuna acts as both the meat and the dressing), sometimes on celergy stalks, and sometimes on crackers. If you like tuna you can try having it different ways to make it versatile :).
  • tgaspard
    Options
    If you're like me and don't want to just eat chicken or tuna or a sandwich every day for lunch, you can try these helpful sites that have some interesting and different recipes:

http://www.fitnessmagazine.com/weight-loss/you-can-do-it/low-cal-recipes/
    http://hubpages.com/hub/Low-Calorie-Lunch-Ideas-Healthy-Easy-Low-Fat-Lunch-Recipes (you have to scroll down to get to the meal ideas, but its worth it!)
    http://www.usatoday.com/news/health/weightloss/2010-01-03-diet-menus-recipes_N.htm
    http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes_menus/collections/quick_healthy_low_calorie_recipes_menus

Hope this helps!
  • JillMaddox
    Options
    I am one of those nerdy lunch box peeps. I take a lot of fresh fruit, PB and Honey on wheat, Cheese and Triscuits.

Today a baked sweet potato. Yumm
  • tgaspard
    Options
    your lunchbox nerd lunch sounds delish!
  • inskydiamonds
    inskydiamonds Posts: 2,519 Member
    Options
    Awesome for all the suggestions! Thanks
  • Laceyrae
    Laceyrae Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I'm a sahm so most the time i'm not pressed for time but when i find myself trying to hurry out the door w/out lunch. I'll microwave a lean pocket and grab a peice of fruit. Good luck and keep up the good work. Everyday is another step toward your goal!
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    I'm not one for processed foods so I would recommend leftovers or salads with protein, I love greens with toasted almonds, pepitas, sunflowers or cashews and some balsamic and olive oil. If you have access to a microwave consider making veggie soup and taking a cup to work, I also like a slice of wheat with peanut butter topped with apple slices. Fruit and yogurt or cottage cheese, raw veggies with a serving of your salad dressing of choice, vegetarian chili, I have a garbanzo bean and tomato salad that I eat in a pita, tuna with lettuce instead of bread.

Be creative and don't get stuck in the "lunch" category :wink: