Vegetarian who needs more protein?

Options
Hello :D Uhm, I'm a vegetarian and well, like I said, I need more protein. I know all the natural proteins like nuts, tofu, soy, etc and I'm not sure how many vegetarians are actually on this site, but I guess I want to know how effective protein powder is. I don't need it just for lifting, but for everyday purposes, too. Like drinking it during breakfast to make sure I get enough. If it is a good investment, what is a good type to get cheaply or with coupons?

Replies

• kassiebby1124
    kassiebby1124 Posts: 927 Member
    Options
    Bump.
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    Protein powder is fine. I like to add it to oatmeal and sometimes bake with it. I get most of my protein from egg whites. I just microwave egg whites with coconut flour, almond milk, and splenda and make delicious protein cakes.
  • thatsbroscience
    Options
    you dont need more protein. the whole protein thing is a myth. unless youre planning on entering the worlds strongest woman competition

look up what the world health organization recommends for protein intake. most vegetables contain in the recommended range. as long as you are eating enough (calories) you get plenty of protein being a vegetarian.

dont waste your money on brotein powders
  • vegansara
    vegansara Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I used to say that trying to get enough protein was ridiculous, and that you don't really need that much. But then I started listening to my body. I feel better when I get more.

I don't have any recommendations for protein powder for you because the ones I like are all stupid expensive. I like to have a protein smoothie once a day, but sometimes I go weeks without having one.

If you go to the spirutein website they will send you a coupon for a free sample and then another coupon I think - I've had the vanilla and it is delicious!
  • kassiebby1124
    kassiebby1124 Posts: 927 Member
    Options
    I used to say that trying to get enough protein was ridiculous, and that you don't really need that much. But then I started listening to my body. I feel better when I get more.

I don't have any recommendations for protein powder for you because the ones I like are all stupid expensive. I like to have a protein smoothie once a day, but sometimes I go weeks without having one.

If you go to the spirutein website they will send you a coupon for a free sample and then another coupon I think - I've had the vanilla and it is delicious!
    I got some from the local Wally World (: I'm excited. I think I'm gonna make a smoothie tomorrow since I have such a long day (college orientation). It makes me less hungry (:
  • Tunkabean
    Tunkabean Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I started the ON Golden Standard 100% Whey 1 week ago. One serving has 24g of protein. Oh & I'm also vegetarian and started the gym 2 weeks ago
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    I like GNC 100% soy isolate, it's low carb so it's diet friendly and low cal, 130 cals per cup with 25g protein. I usually just get it when it's on sale at gnc and I can't do whey isolate so soy is a great source for me. I use it to supplement and on lifting/workout days.