It's the small victories...

Options
mrsriisky
mrsriisky Posts: 129 Member
This may seem like the silliest thing to celebrate, but I am doing the 30 day shred- I am on Day 6, and this is the first day that I've woken up without feeling horrendously sore! Why is this a big deal to me? I have not worked out 6 days in a row in probably 4 years. Before, I would get motivated to work out once in a blue moon, wake up sore the next day, and use that as an excuse to not work out for days, which would inevitably end up just me not working out for months. Having an actual program has forced me to do it every day, and this is the first time that I've been able to see that I AM getting stronger... more importantly...

I AM CAPABLE!!!!!

I'm only 25 years old, for goodness sake, I should be able to workout out for half an hour daily without feeling like I was beat with a baseball bat, and today has made me realize that if I keep up with a routine, my body WILL get stronger, it WILL adapt, it is capable of change and improvement.

Sorry for the rant, I'm sure this is of no importance to most, but it is the most motivating thing to happen to me in a long time.

As a side note, yesterday I bent down and saw/felt an abdominal muscle that I have not had in so long, that I originally freaked out and thought it was a tumor. I had to drag my husband out of the shower to confirm that it was, indeed, muscle. These two little small victories are carrying me through a tough day.

Replies

• JaimeCST
    JaimeCST Posts: 118
    Options
    That is wonderful!! It took me a few days for it not to hurt to walk when I started that but it is all worth it. Keep up the good work!
  • MBCook2
    MBCook2 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Good for you!! If it's motivating to you, it matters! Excellent job at sticking with it. Keep at it. :)
  • alwaysgreen17
    alwaysgreen17 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    That story about the ab vs tumor is too cute! Haha good for you. I definitely agree with the small victories. I even post one small victory a day to remind myself that it is the small things in the long run that are going to make me win this!
  • royvor
    royvor Posts: 271
    Options
    How awesome! Congrats on those two NSV's. Keep celebrating the changes you and only you are accomplishing. Keep fighting for your goals. You are doing so well. :smile:
  • mrsriisky
    Options
    Thanks so much guys! I hesitated on posting this at first, there are so many people here who have made such huge accomplishments that I am just in amazing awe. For me, my journey has not been a large number of pounds to lose, so I may not have astounding "before-and-afters"- for me, it's been a journey in finding balance. From my lowest weight of 112 (obsessed with calories and working out, no real understanding of health, depressed) to my highest weight of 142 (going from that obssessive outlook to completely not caring. Eating once a day, but super unhealthy foods- think living on potato skins and heavily buttered mashed potatoes, nachos, and Mai Tais, not exercising for a few years)- the last year has been a journey in which I've come to focus on nutrition, feeding my body right, and focusing on health. Adding exercise to the equation has been my most difficult obstacle, and though 6 days is nothing in the grand scheme of things, it has shown me that I CAN exercise daily, I CAN get stronger, I CAN do cardio. I need to do those things for my health, above all.

Do I ever want to reach my highest weight again? It's still a "healthy" weight, but not really, unless for some reason I get the whim to body build ;) Do I ever want to be my lowest weight again? Absolutely not. In my mind, I was less healthy then than at my highest. Do I want to strike a balance in life between health, enjoying life to the fullest, and pushing my body to be a lean, mean, machine that keeps me active and is capable of things I never dreamed possible before I gave up? Hell YES!
  • Nicolette04
    Nicolette04 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    :drinker: so awesome .. you're doing great
  • mrsriisky
    Options
    Just wanted to add for anyone reading this, please feel free to post your victories on here as well! During my short time so far on MFP, it has been other's successes that have truly motivated me to make those first steps. You guys are an inspiration!
  • amydelissa
    amydelissa Posts: 26
    Options
    That's wonderful! Today was my second day of 30 day shred and I'm so very sore. Thank you for inspiring me to keep going!!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!